Thread: Emergency brake....

Default Emergency brake....

I don't know what the heck happened but my emergency brake light would turn on every time i would make a hard right but turn off in time, then s of yesterday it stayed on...anybody know what it might be?
    silver 91 miata - no mas
    gold 91 miata w/ hardtop - no mas
    99 emerald green mica miata - just found!

Low on brake fluid.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Default Re: Emergency brake....

Sounds like your right...
    So do i just top it off with more brake fluid? And if so, which kind would y'all recommend.
    silver 91 miata - no mas

Looking at the color of that brake fluid, if I were you, I'd do a complete brake fluid flush. Is the clutch fluid the same color? It should be almost clear. Think Sprite, not Coke.

Brake fluid changes to that color when it collects water. Water will do 2 things to your brakes:
    1. It will rust brake components.
    2. When it gets hot, 212 degrees, it boils and turns into a gas (as in non-fluid). Gas compresses easily, brake fluid is not supposed to compress easily.

Get a 3 or 4 of small bottles of brake fluid. I use the TrackDog bleeder kit. It's easier with a helper.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Default Re: Emergency brake....

Awesome..thanks for yalls help
    silver 91 miata - no mas

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Looking at the color of that brake fluid, if I were you, I'd do a complete brake fluid flush. Is the clutch fluid the same color? It should be almost clear. Think Sprite, not Coke.

Brake fluid changes to that color when it collects water. Water will do 2 things to your brakes:
    1. It will rust brake components.
    2. When it gets hot, 212 degrees, it boils and turns into a gas (as in non-fluid). Gas compresses easily, brake fluid is not supposed to compress easily.

Get a 3 or 4 of small bottles of brake fluid. I use the TrackDog bleeder kit. It's easier with a helper.
    A gas is also a fluid. Not all fluids are liquid.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Conecerned is my new hero! You want non-compressible fluids in your brake lines. Hooray science!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Valvoline's Synthetic at Autozone or O'Reilly's is a good choice for replacement brake fluid. I'm in Garland and can help you bleed it.

Just another thing to note - If your fluid is so low that the light came on.

Check your brake pads, and don't just add fluid. The lower your brake pads are, the more fluid is consumed in your brake caliper to push the piston out further. You probably need new brakes or you have a leak in the system.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Conecerned is my new hero! You want non-compressible fluids in your brake lines. Hooray science!
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Just another thing to note - If your fluid is so low that the light came on.

Check your brake pads, and don't just add fluid. The lower your brake pads are, the more fluid is consumed in your brake caliper to push the piston out further. You probably need new brakes or you have a leak in the system.
    You don't have to be a teacher to have a big brain or be right! In practical matters, I'd go with the guy who said more than "you're wrong".
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    A gas is also a fluid. Not all fluids are liquid.
    Oops, I need a physical science review class. If I could only find a science teacher around here to conduct one.
    Last edited by EricJ; 01-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I'll help out when I can.

But, I'll stay away from music theory. Although I do love an alphabet with only seven letters.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67