Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Miata Focus Day at the Ranch April 23

I will get back to everone on the head count, but it looks like we may be full.

As for tech and some tips, I strongly recommend that you use the highest temperature brake fluid you can as braking from these speeds will cause the fluid to boil in just a few minutes. The auto parts DOT 4 brake fluids may be fine if you DON'T want to push yourself near your cars limit. I would recommend Motul 600 or better.

As for brake pads, please don't use factory stock pads, they will cause excessive heat to build up, do to their low friction and again cause your fluid to boil. We prefer Hawk pads and recommend no less than HPS for beginners who are not going to drive their cars near the limit and HP Plus for those who want to drive their cars near the limits. Of course, this is the best place to learn your cars limit, but if you go off the track 3 times, your day is over! The higher coeficient pads will handle the heat required at consistent high speed stopping.

If you have further questions let me know. I do have Hawk pads and Motul in stock if anyone needs any.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

I hate to disagree with Gary, but you really don't need high temp fluid or HPS brake pads...especially if you're a novice, as your speeds will not be that great. I ran Sunny with DOT-4 fluid(from WalMart!) and stock pads the last time with no problem at all. One just needs to remember that braking must begin a bit early, which a novice will do anyway, on stock pads. BTW, I was running consistent 1:30's, with a best of 1:30.254......... Even at TWS on the long course (2.9 miles), I never had any brake fade with speeds 25 mph faster than at the Ranch (2:08.xx lap times in a '99 Miata).
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    I strongly recommend that you use the highest temperature brake fluid you can as braking from these speeds will cause the fluid to boil in just a few minutes. The auto parts DOT 4 brake fluids may be fine if you DON'T want to push yourself near your cars limit. I would recommend Motul 600 or better.

As for brake pads, please don't use factory stock pads, they will cause excessive heat to build up, do to their low friction and again cause your fluid to boil.
    Gary
    Gary you have a lot more experience than me, but I've only used Valvoline Synthetic for fluid and stock pads for every track day I've done since 2000. Sorry to disagree, but I've never had a problem.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I hate to disagree with Gary, but you really don't need high temp fluid or HPS brake pads...especially if you're a novice, as your speeds will not be that great. I ran Sunny with DOT-4 fluid(from WalMart!) and stock pads the last time with no problem at all. One just needs to remember that braking must begin a bit early, which a novice will do anyway, on stock pads. BTW, I was running consistent 1:30's, with a best of 1:30.254......... Even at TWS on the long course (2.9 miles), I never had any brake fade with speeds 25 mph faster than at the Ranch (2:08.xx lap times in a '99 Miata).
    I think you're both right.

If you're FI, listen to Gary.

If you're NA listen to Merv.

For what it's worth, I have run stock pads and Vavoline Syntec on my first runs out there and Motul and Hawks the last time and saw no difference. Well, that is until I let Gary drive my car... I don't think my car was ever run so hard!

Please note, I've been to MSR 5 times and Street of Willow once and I'm not an expert by any means but I do have fun at my limits. As always, YMMV.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

No two drivers are the same when it comes to driving or braking. Like William said, if you push your car, you could and most likely see overheating. I will agree with Merv up to a point, but again different driving habits will give different results. Better safe than sorry.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

No two drivers are the same when it comes to driving or braking....... I will agree with Merv up to a point......
    Gary
    ....and how many Miatas were faster than me that day?????? I believe you were the ONLY one. My whole point was that a bone stock Miata can be driven at the limits all day long and not complain. I've got thousands of track miles in a dozen stock Miatas since 1989, on eight different tracks, and never have had brake fade. I'm not saying that the car will be just as fast as one with better pads and higher temp fluid, but that it isn't necessary, especially on a focus day. Instead of spending money on "stuff", spend it on SEAT TIME...... When it comes to real wheel-to-wheel racing, that's another whole ball game. You won't see me on anything less than Hawk blues up front, Hawk blacks in the rear, and fresh 600+ degree fluid

I will say it ONE MORE TIME:

Learn to drive the car STOCK before adding this and that. The driver is the most important mod you can make......bar none!
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Merv,

You're running a relatively stock Miata and Gary's car is anything but stock. He is much harder on his car due to the increased performance.

Also, I think what Gary is trying to say (Checking my Shuhart Secret Decoder Ring) is that some drivers can be harder on their brakes than others. (Just a different driving style)

I'm guessing with your track experience, you've become accustomed to carrying speed through the corners with a stock Miata. Thus, I'd guess your brakes don't take the beating an FI car would. An FI Miata does not need to carry it's speed in the corners since it has the power exiting them and carries greater overall speed entering the corners. The way I read this, FI cars have a greater potential to be harder on the brakes.

Likewise, a beginner has a better chance, with excessive brake use, of heating up their brakes.

Again, my experience has been what Merv has said but I can see how Gary has a point too. Each driver will have to weigh the difference and make a decission.

(Throwing my two pennies into the pot)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

FYI, I saw a spreadsheet of brake fluids recently and the Valvoline Synthetic was right up there with ATE superblue which a lot of the BMW guys run with R-comps and 3200 lb cars. I think it will definitley work fine, plus it's inexpensive and easy to find (like Autozone).

HP plus pads are on sale at R-speed right now also, that's where I got mine. I'm running HP+ up front and Axxis Metal Masters in the rear. They worked great at the autoX over the weekend.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Tsnell,

Still have the rotors here. Still need that BOLT

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    Merv,

You're running a relatively stock Miata and Gary's car is anything but stock. He is much harder on his car due to the increased performance
    (Throwing my two pennies into the pot)
    You LEARN to drive, you don't have to be hard on the car, NA or FI. If I wanted to blow down the straights, slam on the brakes, then gobs of throttle coming out, I'D BUY A MUSTANG!

(This was NOT a slam on Gary's driving. I know better! He knows how to drive.....)

None taking Merv. I agree with what you are saying. There are those out there that will drive excessively hard and I think they know who they are, that would be better off upgrading their brakes.

Hope to see you there, we can use you as an instructor as well.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

OK, we are good on the head count and all filled up. I need to know a few of you your driving experiences on an open track. If you have been on an open track and do not need any assistance you will be in Group B. If you are new or would like assistance you will be in Group A. We may change things around as needed, but this will give us a good idea initially.

Here are the names of drivers I am not familar with and need feedback:

Thomas Hiromoto
    Mark Bayer
    Cher Bubacz
    Darryl Reese
    Joe Conti

If any of you know what I am asking about any of them, please let me know.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Gary,
    Thomas Hiromoto here. This will be my first track day, and I will definitely need instruction. I've been autocrossing for the last two years in a 97 BMW M3 (on R-comps for the last 6-7 months). I just switched to the Miata this past month and did the brake upgrade I was telling you about before the BMWCCA autoX this past Sunday. The car is ready for the track and I'm ready to learn.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Joe Conti here. I have attended a 2- day Drivers' Edge event at MSR previously and a single-day event at Porltland Int'l Raceway- also with instruction. I do not currently have a rollbar- so I will not be 'the' guy to worry about. Brakes and tires are good to go. Still need that new alignment though.

Thanks Joe and Thomas. As for an alignment, if you live near Plano, I would recommend a gentleman named Michael at the Kwik Kar Lube Center on Parker Rd. near Custard. They have a seperate shop behind the oil lube center. He charges $79 and enjoys doing custom alignments.

See you at the track.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

As far as alignments go, I just got mine done recently at Europasian in Grand Prairie. They do some SCCA ITS race car setup and the alignment was only $69 (if I remember correctly).
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Default Waiting list

Gary, is there a waiting list? Did not get signe dup but am thinking about coming out, watching, and seeing if I cna help do something.
    RD
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

We can take 2 more participants for the Event. Email or call me before sending a check as we may have filled the spot.

If anyone is interested I will be offering one-on-one private lessons the morning of the Miata Focus Day. This would include one 30 minute track session and off-track discussion time. You will learn more about your cars limits, the fastest way around the track and improve on your driving skills. During the Focus sessions you would have more time to practice what you learned. Cost is $45. If interested drop me an email, I only have 2 openings left.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Has anyone noticed the time stamp is off an hour?

Everyone is welcome to come out and I hope you will. See you there.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Has anyone noticed the time stamp is off an hour?
    You have to change it in your profile. Make it 'GMT - 5 hours'.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast