Thread: Future Classics

Default Future Classics

What cars do you think will have collect-ability in the future? (Say 2020 and beyond)

I'm looking at how the 60's muscle cars are real popular now. At one time they were a dime a dozen. Now they are highly sought after. We even see it in the late 70's "Bandit" Firebird. Anything from the 60's and earlier has a "cool factor" about it just because it's rare. I mean, early station wagons are hot! They used to be the minivan of their day, total utilitarian but now you see an old 60's wagon and it's cool. Will people one day see an old Topaz and go, "cool!"?

Let's define that a bit.

Vehicles from the 80's to present.
    Will retain some value or even increase
    Will have at least a small cult following
    Will have vendors that will support restoration projects
    Will support and be welcome at collector car shows
    Current popularity means little because of the whole station wagon thing mentioned above.
    Style is a big one. What vehicle's stand out on their own and will continue to create interest?

I'll start.

Honda CRX 2nd generation
    FD Mazda RX-7
    NA Mazda Miata
    Chevrolet Camaro IROC Z28
    Nissan 300ZX (The last one)
    SVO Mustang
    Merkur XR4Ti
    Solstice/Sky twins
    Any Honda sedan
    S2000
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Default Future Classics

Part of the problem with a next gen classic is that the design simply was not there. The electronics are bad. Etc. i dont think we'll see the same level of enthusiast love as we've seen for the 60's and older cars because the manufactures just spit out cheap crap. There will be some exceptions, but I think there will not be as many cars that fit into that category as there are in the current classics.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Hmm, I've owned four on your list, so I must be doing something right (FD, CRX, S2000, Accord).

A couple of low volume additions:

Isuzu Vehicross (I still want one of these)
    BMW Z3 M Coupe
    BMW Z4 M Coupe
    Integra Type R
    Lotus Elise/Exige
    Acura NSX
    Ford Raptor
    Ford Lightning (2nd gen, '99-'04)
    Pontiac G8
    C5 Corvette FRC/Z06
    Toyota MR2 Turbo (2nd gen)
    Toyota Supra
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

E30 M3, E39 M5, Evo 9, BMW 1M Coupe, Cayman R, Boxster Spyder, Audi RS4/Avant, C63AMG, GT-R, Viper ACR, 911 GT3/RS, 430 Scud.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

BMW 318ti Club Sport

Want to buy one cheap?
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Try more of the stuff that never actually sold well; that's what will get collected, unfortunately.

Also, remember that many of the most popular cars from the 60's/70's are vehicles that fit into one of two categories:

1) Vehicles that people drove as teenagers/college students and often hated at the time, but have many memories in.
    2) The "it" car that they wanted but couldn't afford/justify/both. That's why so many people are paying stupid money for Bandit T/A's and late-60's Mopar crap-mobiles.

So, by that reasoning, I will want to own a 76 Caprice Classic or a 1982 Plymouth K wagon 4MT, and an E30 M3 or the original ZZ Top Eliminator coupe.

Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

AMC Eagle wagon: My dad was apparently fascinated by this thing. Looking back, it was a pretty interesting package, and I'd like to find one and drop a Jeep 4.0 HO motor in it. Or maybe an LSx...

FB RX7 GSL-SE: I had a beat-to-shit one of these amongst the 4 FB Wankels I owned. I still really want a nice, clean one.

Chrysler LeBaron GTC Turbo: My mom had this POS, and it was a complete POS. But when it was running right and on full boost, it was a lot of fun.

E24 BMW M6: I want one.

1st Gen Taurus SHO: I spent my learner's permit year driving around in my dad's SHO. Next to an NSX, it's the most wicked-sounding V6 ever.

Fox-body Mustang LX 5.0 coupe: I still miss mine, shitty brakes, floppy chassis and all.

2nd Gen CRX Si: I haven't seen a nice one of these in a long time. I'd definitely love to have one. Other than this (and maybe the '99-2000 Civic Si), the only other Honda that should be on the list is the S2000. "Any Honda sedan?" Really???

FD RX7: An awesome, powerful, fragile, twitchy, crazy-ass sports car. Best Japanese sports car ever.

LT1 Camaro Z28: The last of the good-looking Camaros. I never liked the 1998 restyle, even though the LS was a nice upgrade.

Chevy Impala SS: Lord Vader, your car is ready...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Did John Voight own that Lebaron at one time?

The real collector's items will be in original condition too. Just *try* to find an unmolested 3rd Gen RX-7.

Another one that belongs on the list (and already is on the list in some circles) is the 8-Series BMW.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    "Any Honda sedan?" Really???
    Not my personal preference but since these cars are so popular now, I can only imagine some middle-age ricer's will still be playing with them.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Not my personal preference but since these cars are so popular now, I can only imagine some middle-age ricer's will still be playing with them.
    The only people I see "playing with them" now are in my 'hood, blaring Norteno music and drinking Corona...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

strathound

I had a buddy of mine tell me he had an '84 ZX sitting in his parent's garage with all original parts. I told him "don't sell it!!!" If he fixes that up, it'll be a collector's item.

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    The real collector's items will be in original condition too. Just *try* to find an unmolested 3rd Gen RX-7.
    Here's a nice one on BringATrailer.com. Too bad it's the wrong color.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Here's a nice one on BringATrailer.com. Too bad it's the wrong color.
    And the wrong motor.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

1984 Fiat 124 Sport Spider.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...rt_spider.html

Love me some Fiat and I don't know why...
    Trollin' for co-drives

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStig View Post
    1984 Fiat 124 Sport Spider.

http://www.diseno-art.com/encycloped...rt_spider.html

Love me some Fiat and I don't know why...
    That's very cool. Classic body shape. Reminds me that I had an Italian in high school, where I fell in love with sports cars. Probably the one car I wish I could have back; I was too young and inexperienced to keep it running right back then.

1982 Alfa Romeo GTV-6
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Already a classic, but fits the era most cars yall are posting. If I ever happen to get filthy rich...or even modestly rich, i'll have one of these in the garage. Don't care if they're slow.

My last company's corporate parking garage had one of these sitting there rotting under a blanket of dust. In it's shape, it was still very striking in person. I always wanted to track down the owner and offer him cash for it...didnt have anything at the time though. I'd be awful tempted if I stumbled on one like that now.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^Did John Voight own that Lebaron at one time?
    You mean the Jon Voight...or just John Voight.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution