Thread: What size Hoosiers

Default What size Hoosiers

Does anybody have experience with Hoosiers on stock 14x6 wheels? Would it be better to run a 205 or 225.

Some people on Miata.net were saying that the 225s would last longer b/c the 205s cord pretty easily on the edges. Does anybody know if this is true and how difficult is it going to be to have a 225 mounted on a 6" wide wheel.

Thanks in advance!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Nevermind... misread the Subject.

Kumho V710s. They're faster, cheaper, and last longer than the Hoosier A3S04s. Trust me on this one.

The top E Stock Miatas seem to be running 225s.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Why do I keep expecting to hear POS mention something about the top local ES drivers running Continental Contitracs in 175/75?
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Why do I keep expecting to hear POS mention something about the top local ES drivers running Continental Contitracs in 175/75?
    I run 205/55/14" on the POS, I got a set of Victoracers, as does everyone else in ES (The Evil Fiero & The Stewart / Lucas Team) so far this year.

The V710s aren't this cheap:

http://www.rsracing.com/rscatalog/as...t-discount.asp

Just thought I should pick up a set while they were cheap.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto
    The V710s aren't this cheap:

http://www.rsracing.com/rscatalog/as...t-discount.asp

Just thought I should pick up a set while they were cheap.
    Maybe they aren't as cheap overall, but I guarantee you they'll be cheaper per run. I think lugnutjon averaged about 36 runs per set of Hoosiers last season.

There is a reason the A3S04s only lasted for a year - they sucked. They weren't the fastest tire (the V710 was) and they definitely weren't the longest lasting tire - because of the shoulder construction, even lightweight cars with good camber were usually getting fewer than 50 runs out of a set. Heavier, camber-limited cars like Minis and WRXs were known to destroy a set in as little as 10 runs.

Here's what I'd suggest - if you're looking for the fastest current tire regardless of cost, buy a set of V710s. If you're looking for the best bargain on a cost per run basis, buy some Victoracers - they're pretty good, only slightly more per tire than the discounted Hoosiers through Tire Rack, and they'll last three or four times as long.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Chassis Designer

Stay away from the A3S04's!!!!

Mine lasted 1.5 events at Mineral Wells, almost $50 per lap. (But I'm not bitter)

I cut one in half to inspect it and I found the steel belt does not maintain the same distance from the surface at the tire shoulder. The belt actually has less rubber over it at the shoulder. One tire still has a visible depth indicator (at the outside edge) and there is cord showing right next to the indicator.

Hoosier will not stand behind them either, Kumho supplied me 2 sets of replacement tires last year but nothing but sympathy from Hoosier.

Thanks for the advice guys. Funny how I ordered the tires before I got a chance to read your replies.

Live and learn. Anyway, it seems like Mineral Wells eats up autoX compound tires on any car (like the M3). I wasn't planning on using the R-comps for a while, I've got a lot of learning to do in the Miata. I just didn't want to pass up a good deal.

Taking your advice I might just use the Hoosiers mainly at Pennington Field. A guy on the miata.net forum said that he got 60 runs out of his 205s and corded the edges, but his newer 225s are still going strong at 60 runs (of course he probably doesn't run anywhere like Mineral Wells). We'll see if they last.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub