Thread: Wonders of Bluetooth ODBII Sensors

strathound

Default Wonders of Bluetooth ODBII Sensors

Well, in my never ending obsession with over-analyzing my car, I've taken the big leap into the world of big data. I've ordered one of these little puppies from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._ya_os_product

($15? You kidding me?)

I also decided that my 4 year old Android phone finally needed upgrading (the thing is slowly dying), so I splurged on one of these:

Finally, since I'm burning through money right now, I tried downloading the free version of Torque for Android. It's ok, gives you a feel for what the app does. But it's a much earlier version of the software and pretty hard to use. For $5 I upgraded to Torque Pro and I'm glad I did. This thing has more gauges for more data than you can shake a stick at, plus it allows you to take videos and it overlays the car data for you. The free version doesn't let you do that (and this fact is conveniently hidden in the documentation and took me a while to find).

Here's a little video of what you can do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxO6kP3itwo

I think this will be a very interesting tool to use for a variety of applications. For example, lets say I want to measure the effectiveness of my placement or shielding of a CAI. All I'd have to do is capture the ambient temperature for a baseline and then before and after values for the intake air temperature and note the difference. Also, at the track, I could analyze the data to determine best corner entry and exit speeds. The uses for the data are endless. Plus, if you ever need to turn off a warning light, done.

Anyways, when I get the sensor, I'll do a proper writeup and video for those who are thinking of going down this route. And I'll come out to one of the upcoming Wed events and show how killer the phone looks mounted on the windshield using some of the other free car gauge apps.

Until next time,

Michael
    Last edited by strathound; 02-05-2013 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks for sharing, I think i'll pick one up to diagnose my pesky cyclic CEL in the Element.

Miata is OBD1 and soon to be MS3x so it's covered.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

strathound

Hey, I'm also an Element driver. Up high ...

Default Re: Wonders of Bluetooth ODBII Sensors

It is a cool use of technology but I have to question the wisdom of posting a video showing you speeding on a surface street.

strathound

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    It is a cool use of technology but I have to question the wisdom of posting a video showing you speeding on a surface street.
    That's just a video I found on YouTube. I don't know what kind of car that is, but it's not a red miata.

Suspension Modder

Torque Pro is a great tool but the cheap elm327 adapters are buggy with NCs (and Ford ECUs in general), particularly data logging. I tried a couple and ended up buying the PLXDevices Kiwi which actually works.

FWIW, I now have a purchased EcuTek cable (from Dynotronics) I'll be leasing locally but that's a another forthcoming thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I think i'll pick one up to diagnose my pesky cyclic CEL in the Element.

Miata is OBD1 and soon to be MS3x so it's covered.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I had problems with the brown ELM adapter and went with the Kiwi. It worked well to diagnose the CELs when I bought the green Miata.
    Last edited by EricJ; 02-05-2013 at 06:52 PM.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

It will great if this thing also display and record lap times!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    It will great if this thing also display and record lap times!
    http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    I know, however, it will be really nice that we have all the info from Torque Pro and Tackmaster all in once screen with the video w/o spending $$$$$$$ for the full fledge setup.
    Gabriel

this thread made me remember that I've been meaning to offer one of these puppies up on here. Bought couple things at once, and one item was sold out. I thought it was the OBDII scanner that was showing as not shipped, but it wasn't... so now I have 2.....

Anyone have an android that would like a freebie? Can grab it from me at Keller's one Wed. night......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll take it!! Let me know when you'll be at a wed night meet and I'll venture over.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"

done deal :) all yours. Lemme know when your out this way, or pm me and I can snail mail it to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No big hurry. If you want to meet at a Wed night Keller's get-together I'll buy you dinner.
    90 Red NA
    91 Red NA
    99 Triple Black NB "Dimples"