Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maverick PCA Autocross #1, 2/24/13, Dallas Raceway

Good course, JJ. Quite a bit more challenging than I initially thought.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yep, fun course and pretty difficult to be honest. Lots of fast offsets that really test the balance of the car. Thanks to Armstrong for the co-drive and letting me play with some of the suspension settings to make the car a lot easier to drive.

Congrats to General Default for laying the smack down with a CS car.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post

Congrats to General Default for laying the smack down with a CS car.
    Absolutely, we felt we made big improvements in the afternoon, except for those pesky cones. Now we need to figure out how to beat a CS car.. Good driving Kenny!
    Su B.
    SSP - #117
    08 997.1 Turbo

Driver

Fun course... I have a lot of tuning left to do..

The General is going to be grabbing a lot of FTD's this year, I suspect. Remember; he is on brand-new suspension that raised his ride heights by an inch and killed all his neg camber. Once that is sorted... yikes!
    Polished Turd Racing

Thanks for the complements. They did say it was a Miata course at the drivers meeting.
    Silly cones took out a lot of good times for several drivers.

I finally figured out how to get through the tight slice gate by the grass. Looking further ahead
    solved the problem for me.

The course designer said he could flat foot it through that section.

Great job by GD, and very challenging course too. I managed to spin in both session, with the car setup completely differently each time, now that takes some luck. The course designer was flat footing the thread the needle, but not always cleanly!

Fun course! Fast, had some tricky elements I still can't think of ways to improve on.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Thanks for the complements. They did say it was a Miata course at the drivers meeting.
    Silly cones took out a lot of good times for several drivers.

I finally figured out how to get through the tight slice gate by the grass. Looking further ahead
    solved the problem for me.

The course designer said he could flat foot it through that section.
    Yep, pedal to metal. Not that it means much in a 1.6 NA.

That element was added on the fly by an S2000 driver who was helping with setup, so don't blame the Miata guy there.

My fav part were the offsets after the start on up to the sweeper past the restrooms. Some of those offsets were changed by me on the fly during setup and I really liked their effect. It was really hard to figure out where to brake/lift going through there.

Quote Originally Posted by brandondan1 View Post
    Fun course! Fast, had some tricky elements I still can't think of ways to improve on.

Nice driving, I think I lost too much time trying to carry speed through all the offsets instead of just backing off a bit and driving the tightest line possible.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Fun event, great weater and an even better course. I was happy with the RX7, it was reasonably predictable considering it is not at all set up for AX. Great job by KB, is a Nats title in his future?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep, pedal to metal. Not that it means much in a 1.6 NA.

That element was added on the fly by an S2000 driver who was helping with setup, so don't blame the Miata guy there.

My fav part were the offsets after the start on up to the sweeper past the restrooms. Some of those offsets were changed by me on the fly during setup and I really liked their effect. It was really hard to figure out where to brake/lift going through there.
    I was flat on the gas through there also. On every run I could hear the tire run over the edge of the cone but never came out of the box. Thanks to Joseph for helping with the setup. Afternoon felt faster but my times were slower than my fastest run. Good run by Brandon in a mostly stock S2000.

Suspension Modder

Great driving Kenny, your focus sitting at start was impressive.

Thanks to eveyone for coming out and running with us, the turn out was huge for one of our events.

I want to apologize to anyone who had a issue with the person running timing during the second session. I did remove that person from timing in the afternoon. If anyone has an issue at one of our events please let me or Robyn know and it will get taken care of.
    Travis Howard
    PCA Maverick Region (former) Autocross / (now just)Time Trial Chair
    96 Miata
    74 914, 85 911, 03 996

I really liked this course. I tried to go flat on the gas through that tight kink by the grass on my last run, ended up ruining an otherwise good run. Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

I got roasted out there. One of my coworkers asked me if I went skiing because of my cool new raccoon tan line. Looking forward to doing it all again soon!
    '07 E92 BMW 335i

I'm impressed with the direction PCA autox is going. The organization and running of the event were excellent, and there were few hiccups.
    Polished Turd Racing

What was the story with the timing in the 2nd session? The timer was a bit more labor intensive than axware but not too bad. It was really helpful to have 3 people for timing, control and logging of times on paper. Having a starter that can space out cars correctly rather than using the automated red/green light really sped things up in the PM first heat too. I think we went from 2 hrs to 50 minutes, Sigrid really got things going and kept us busy in the timing truck.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

The timing system will be replaced with AXWare soon, which will also remove the red/green light.

Sigrid was born to work as starter.

Afterwards, Travis was proactively asking me for feedback on anything they did wrong after the event, so he is really interested in making their events better. It shows.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    The timing system will be replaced with AXWare soon, which will also remove the red/green light.
    Is that really going to be an improvement??

They do need to do something I way too much free time out working on course lots of silence to ponder life before a car would go past.

I think the timing worker issue was based on attitude, not skill.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast