Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Muffler

Hey Sammm, I just crawled under the car and noticed that the hanger arms on the stock muffler have a sort of button on the end of them...kind of like a screw head without a slot,...was if difficult for you to get that through the rubber hanger bracket? I plan to go ahead and soap them up real good or put some lube in there Monday to give them a week to get losened up. I am expecting mine in , in around a week.
    also I noticed that my bolts were rusted looking, so I am going to the parts store Monday to get some Liguid wrench, I know they are going to be a bitch to break loose.
    My rubber brackets look somewhat dry rotted too, I may just buy some new ones and do it right.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I...noticed that the hanger arms on the stock muffler have a sort of button on the end of them...kind of like a screw head without a slot,...was if difficult for you to get that through the rubber hanger bracket?
    Look here -

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Install was a snap! Get a skinny screwdriver and pry open the rubber hangers a bit. Squirt WD40 in there and work them around a bit while the old muffler is still hanging in them. The old one will slide off much easier. After you get the old one off, spray the insides of the rubber hangers liberally and the new one will slide right in!

I took the advice of someone on the board and put some Dawn dishwashing detergent on the screwdriver and worked it in there. Worked great.

Just an alternative to the WD-40....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Kewl thats what I did, dishsoap it seemed to make it much more slippery.
    Also was able to break apart the bolts without liquid wrench or WD-40 thought I would give it a try first before I went out to get a can and it worked.
    Now cant wait to get the thing.
    99 Miata Black

I found a pair of "robo grips" from sears works excelent on this. The shape is perfect to push the hanger out in a snap. However, using the screw driver is easy enough I would go out and buy these just for that.

Muffler is finally in the mail, got sent out today.
    99 Miata Black

WOO HOO!!!
    finally got the new Muffler.
    It was packaged well as Sammm said, beautiful construction.
    The old muffler came out quick thanks to Mr. Impact wrench.
    (and pre-greasing the rubber gromets).

Took it for a spin at first it wanted to die, idle dipped down to 500 RPM's several times.
    After the muffler started burning off what ever stinks on the inside of it, it started to run good again.
    Actually even better, it seems like its breathing better and revs quicker.
    Maybe its all in my head, however it has a great sounding note, not much louder than stock though which I was was thinking it would be.
    I would like it to be a little louder but maybe the Header will fix that.
    Overall I would do it again, great muffler!!!
    99 Miata Black

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12