Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NO!!!!Not Dallas Raceway, too!!!

Pennington is out. They have a bunch of busses and other equipment out there. They put a chain link fence across the site. I worked diligently with them for three years to address sound and safety concerns. Finally they said they didn't want us there anymore regardless of whether we could meet their requirements.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    I spoke with Ken Hall this morning. He said that the Equipe Rapide autocross will continue as planned for Sunday May 5th. He said that he is working with the bank to keep the site open. At this point there is no urgent need to reschedule autocrosses. We should know more by the end of next week.
    I was planning on calling him this morning as well, so I'll just wait to hear about updates. If indeed it's foreclosed on, you'd think the bank would like $500/day.......but banks are not known to be terribly smart.

The ihra announcement said they are closing doors on 5/7. Whether or not that means site rental will be eliminated is unclear right now.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    The ihra announcement said they are closing doors on 5/7. Whether or not that means site rental will be eliminated is unclear right now.
    You'd "think" we may still be able to rent it, unless the bank chains it up, etc., etc.

If all the clubs got together, maybe we could buy the place cheap, and host events, like "Meet Ken O" day. That's a million dollah idear right dere!

No such thing as "cheap" when you are talking about commercial real estate and the budget of autox clubs.
    Polished Turd Racing

The IHRA announcement implies a lot of things and says they will be moving, presumably because the site MIGHT not be available and they HAVE to have a site available.

Yeah, puts a pretty big damper on the autox scene, with some of the other options proving less than ideal lately. It would be really good if TMS could finish the construction or find a way to divert the runoff so the lot stays cleaner. Really, we need concrete. Resistol had a great surface, but people didn't like the tight lot. Personally, I'd rather have more 30 sec runs on good concrete than 50 sec runs on gravel.
    I like you Mike. But you couldn't be more wrong here. The mesquite lots are without a doubt the worst I have autocrossed on. The only thing desirable about them is their location. Either way, I'll pass.

I think the some of the bus lot issues could be solved by moving grid to the dirty corner as the sediment seems to rest there.

Other than that, it sounds like Crandall is a short-lived option AND the auto-x community needs to be on the lookout for new sites.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

ER has secured alternate sites for the remainder of the season just in case. I'm working securing on a top secret new site right now.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    I like you Mike. But you couldn't be more wrong here. The mesquite lots are without a doubt the worst I have autocrossed on. The only thing desirable about them is their location. Either way, I'll pass.

I think the some of the bus lot issues could be solved by moving grid to the dirty corner as the sediment seems to rest there.

Other than that, it sounds like Crandall is a short-lived option AND the auto-x community needs to be on the lookout for new sites.
    JFo, the problem is that we have a lot of opinionated folks here - you included - who want to autox on a great site and dislike many of the options out there. What we don't have is much in the way in terms of progress towards securing new sites. Lets face it: MW may be a site that most regions would kill for, but DFW people DON'T SHOW UP when events are held there. TMS is expensive and has been damged goods ever since the lot was shrunk-down and construction runoff has been present, not to mention that many National-level competitors tell me they don't bother to go there since the surface is so unlike others that its useless for setup/practice.

What's left? Crandall(prob not), West Mesquite and Resistol. Like it or not, the writing on the wall is that we either find a way to make the sites work for us or plan to do every autox in MW. A market the size of Dallas ought to be able to locate and use a quality site (there are probably 100 potential spots in a 50 mile radius of Downtown Dallas), but so far the solution is elusive.

I agree that Resistol is small, but they were very receptive to autox, affordable and willing to at least discuss making changes to the site that would improve its useability for autox. PMS was fairly small, but everyone loved it for years. I'm hoping we can work with the sites that will currently have us towards making them better for us, while still searching for new options. What I'd hate to do is completely blow-off a marginal site, then wish we hadn't at a later date. I'm trying to be glass-half-full, I guess.
    Polished Turd Racing

TMS is expensive and has been damged goods ever since the lot was shrunk-down and construction runoff has been present, not to mention that many National-level competitors tell me they don't bother to go there since the surface is so unlike others that its useless for setup/practice.

We sure seem to get great turnout there. I think you are assuming your opinion counts for everyone. I happen to like TMS. Attendance shows many others do too.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    We sure seem to get great turnout there. I think you are assuming your opinion counts for everyone. I happen to like TMS. Attendance shows many others do too.
    No, I also like TMS (other than last time I was there!) I'm repeating what several other people have told me when explaining why they don't go there. Reread the post. I agree that turnout is excellent at TMS, as are the facilities. My point is that is isn't what it used to be prior to the changes made last year and the construction, which is a shame, as we may be down to the Bus Lot and MW in the future.
    Polished Turd Racing

What about Lone Star Park? I know it's gravely too, but for some reason I loved it. Excellent location too.

LSP is under new ownership and doesn't rent for autox, last I was told.
    Polished Turd Racing

Correct. I loved LSP.

the mesquite lots are without a doubt the worst i have autocrossed on other than the side of that mountain n colorado.
    fifya

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    fifya
    LOL
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    fifya

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The problem with that is entry from the road is on the other side of the lot. All the cars would have to wait for a heat to finish before you could exit/enter.

We use the pedestrian area in front of the restrooms for grid at NTAXS events. Not so good for the SCCA run/grid format, unfortunately. Hopefully, the new lot to the west of the Bus Lot will come online and provide a grid solution.

Really, the ideal thing to do would be to place sediment barriers along the outside of the retaining walls, which would reduce the silt deposition on the race surface. Maybe the clubs could meet with TMS and offer a plan for sediment abatement and runoff diversion.
    Polished Turd Racing

TMS should allow us use of the infield section of the track. For the amount we pay for that tiny lot, we should get a lot more.

Of course, we drive sedans, so we need the room

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast