Thread: Cordless Impact Wrench

Default Cordless Impact Wrench

Looking for a cordless impact wrench I grabbed the HFT one. The HFT was reviewed ok for the price. http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...act_gun_tests/. Tried charging the battery and it never reached the point of indicating a complete charge. When it fails out of the box it goes back. To harsh on HFT or you get what you pay for?

Started researching different models and the Bosch 18v Li got great reviews. http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-gearbox

Any others I should look at?
    Last edited by ken o; 07-15-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: can't use coupon code
    M3 is always the answer.

DeWalt has 18, 20 and 36 volt Lithium Ion versions of the same 1/2" impact. Kits come with two batteries and charger. Variable speed trigger with up to 300ft/lbs of torque.

I have been very happy with the DeWalt 18v. I want something that can share batteries with multiple tools and DeWalt is the best compromise between value, quality, and availability.

DeWalt 14v here, I use the smaller one (only about 100ft lbs) but it is lighter and more usable for general all around work. I'm on the 2nd set of batteries, but have been using it for close to 10yrs! The higher voltage ones now are more powerful and lighter with the lithium batteries.

This is the form factor I'm talking about: http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.c...act-wrench-kit

Last edited by Webspoke; 07-15-2013 at 10:52 AM.

My HF was good for the money, but never was all that strong, and replacement batt was absurdly expensive. I bought a Dewalt 18v off amazon cheap, tool-only and use the batteries from my 18v drill kit from HD, which is $99 on sale w/ 2 batteries. Works great, and it will break free lug nuts torqued to 90+ lb/ft.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I've had good experiences with a Makita. It is only 3/8" drive, though.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Looks like 150 ft-lbs. of torque - should be good to take lugs off. Doubt if you want all that when you put them back on.

With both batteries fully charged, we should ALL be able to change tires twice at an event!! Thanks, ken_o!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Looks like 150 ft-lbs. of torque - should be good to take lugs off. Doubt if you want all that when you put them back on.

With both batteries fully charged, we should ALL be able to change tires twice at an event!! Thanks, ken_o!!
    I was looking at the 300 ft-lbs but thought it was too much.
    M3 is always the answer.

This numbers are really high. I don't think the smaller ones will actually break a tight lug loose.
    Polished Turd Racing

wow, 300 ft-lbs could snap a wrist looking for the weakest link. the dewalt gear has been fine by me, i'd like to have a reason to replace my 10 year old stuff, but it keeps going. i did break down and buy some of the lith-ion batteries. they are terrific.
    95 r white

This what I bought.
    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-Bare-To...eywords=dewalt

With the 18v drill kit, you get 2 batteries and a charger. $230 total.
    Polished Turd Racing

The small DeWalt will break loose if you hold it on for several hammers. I usually break loose manually, but in a pinch they will do the job. They are perfect for installing lugs, you will not over-torque. They are usually at around 80-90ft/lbs installed, then I follow up with a wrench. Ryobi @ home depot has a mid size 200ft/lb unit that may be a good compromise, I have been eying it.

Quote Originally Posted by ken_o View Post
    I was looking at the 300 ft-lbs but thought it was too much.
    300 lbs would break my wrist!
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

Yeah the torque numbers they post tend to be higher than reality. I know for my larger 18v DeWalt it only actually torques to around 125ft/lbs. With the lithium battery it doesn't run low, it either torques or it stops cold. With that setup I never check torque ever. Just blast on with the gun and I am done. I do replace my lugs/studs annually and wheels every few years.

Will 150 break it loose or should I go with the 300?
    M3 is always the answer.

I went to Lowes to look at the Kobalt model with 350 ft-lbs, (2) 20v Li for $279. They had last year's model of 300 ft-lbs, (2) 18v Li on sale for $229. Only one they had was a floor model with scratches so they knocked 10% off plus another 10% for Military brought it to $183. Quick test and it worked great. Plus 5 year warranty.
    M3 is always the answer.

Kobalt stuff is good. For the money, you ought to have an excellent autox/track setup.
    Polished Turd Racing

my new-ish Longacre 24V impact gun removed a factory installed 54mm flywheel nut that had a minimum torque spec of 350 lb-ft

http://www.soloperformance.com/Longa...s_p_10431.html

how well they work tends to depend on battery strength, the batteries start to fall off with age/high # of cycles