Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Minnesota at the end of summer, what do i need to get ready for a MN winter

Chassis Designer

If you decide to rust-proof your Miata, give Z-Bart a look (might be Zbarth). We used them on my wife's last car in Chicago and it seemed to do well. Annual inspections and not cheap (maybe $500 for her 1994 Oldsmobile SUV), but they've been in business since the 1970's and her car was clean when we brought it here to TX. They also offer warranties on clean used-cars (as in, you don't have to have it undercoated from the showroom floor). Stay warm, my friend.

Why did you ask for advice?

I am surprised gabkwong hasn't chimed in. He froze his ass off up there while in school.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like you barely have enough money to move, much less take care of your car up there. Lots of good, sound advice that you don't want to hear, but it's reality. If you go through with the move you need to budget for a new car. You will kill that car up there. Salt, cold, slick roads, RWD, aggressive driving - that's a tried and true recipe for disaster. Just be sure to send us pics of the carnage...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

+1

Note: I was the first to tell you in this thread to get a different car and I'll be the first to tell you to get a different girl. Don't move for a girlfriend up to Minnesota. Vegas, Los Angeles, even Indiana...maybe. If she's your wife then move to hell if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I don't know the whole story, but it sounds like you barely have enough money to move, much less take care of your car up there. Lots of good, sound advice that you don't want to hear, but it's reality. If you go through with the move you need to budget for a new car. You will kill that car up there. Salt, cold, slick roads, RWD, aggressive driving - that's a tried and true recipe for disaster. Just be sure to send us pics of the carnage...
    i'll have a job when i get up there so i can do the things i need to before winter hits and i can borrow some money from my dad to get up there. i do have a plan and it's not without a lot of thinking.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/4kvfc.jpg
    Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races - Carroll Shelby
    Mods
    FM front shock tower brace, OMP wheel, BBS Wheels, RZ ralco short throw shifter, Jackson Racing header, Racingbeat muffler.

Better idea-- have her move here.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Do I get a piece of cheese?

Why do you have to move *now*? Why not wait until spring, which would give you almost a full year before you had to worry about locating a winter beater. Added bonus of your financial situation might be better
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I had a soft-top TJ Wrangler when I lived in Syracuse, NY. It had a solid sheet of ice on the floor from about late September to late April. I got used to it, but it certainly sucked. A lot. I don't recommend it, but having a soft top in below zero temps for months on end isn't the end of the world. I sure as hell wouldn't do it in a Miata though.

I moved to Texas for a girl I was dating. I had a very cushy job that i just up and left for her. Granted I moved from Florida, and I knew the girl since 1996, but she is now my wife of one year this past May. So unlike the others here, some times you have to take that chance. You clearly don't have a great job here, so there's no real risk in packing up and moving on.

That said, you said you're moving the end of summer. That is plenty of time to sell the Miata and buy a beater, and get some extra pocket money at the same time.

I for one was just thrilled to see that one of you Miata driving yahoos actually like girls!

Liking a female over Skype is easy enough. Liking a female you're forced to live with after moving a far distance for is a whole other ball game. The "you're so sweet you left your life for me" bit only lasts so long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    The "you're so sweet you killed your wife for me" bit only lasts so long.
    Wow.

Haha! I was going to make an exit strategy joke, but figured that contradicts the whole love thing.

OP does need one though. Marriage, no strategy needed. Making a major life change for a girlfriend, he needs a plan B and C for sure.

LMAO at POS and Titus!

Sorry.. I had just finished reading about the guy from Monster Miata that had killed his first 2 wives, so that was what my brain read when I saw your post.

Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    Better idea-- have her move here.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

Do I get a piece of cheese?

Why do you have to move *now*? Why not wait until spring, which would give you almost a full year before you had to worry about locating a winter beater. Added bonus of your financial situation might be better
    cause i can get a job easier up there and haven't had much luck down here since getting my degree and i already have a simple job i can slip into when get there.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I for one was just thrilled to see that one of you Miata driving yahoos actually like girls!
    haha, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    Liking a female over Skype is easy enough. Liking a female you're forced to live with after moving a far distance for is a whole other ball game. The "you're so sweet you left your life for me" bit only lasts so long.
    we have met and spent a good amount of time together. leaving to come back here was prob the hardest thing i've had to do.

ok now that that is out of the way, if you don't have any tips or advice to help me make the miata survive this ONE winter, please don't hit the reply button. thanks!
    http://i49.tinypic.com/4kvfc.jpg
    Horsepower sells cars, Torque wins races - Carroll Shelby
    Mods
    FM front shock tower brace, OMP wheel, BBS Wheels, RZ ralco short throw shifter, Jackson Racing header, Racingbeat muffler.

How about that weather this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverzero89 View Post
    ok now that that is out of the way, if you don't have any tips or advice to help me make the miata survive this ONE winter, please don't hit the reply button. thanks!
    You are not the boss of me!!
    Last edited by POS Racing; 07-17-2013 at 10:12 AM.

I'll do what I want! Obviously you will too regardless of the advice. I've been where you are. Moved to L.A. for two years but that's L.A. not the frigid great white north. My advice, get her to move here. The job market is better in Texas anyways.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by Foreverzero89 View Post
    we have met and spent a good amount of time together. leaving to come back here was prob the hardest thing i've had to do
    I'm on your side, man. Probably the only one too.

From living in an area that has more subzero days and snow than nice warm days, my best advice: get a beater. If you're too stubborn to listen, the next best advice I have: wash the underside of the car every weekend. It is a MUST. And fill the trunk with sand bags.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

To what part of MN are you moving? Any public transit options? Any interest in cross country skiing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast