Thread: VVT engine with VICS into a 95 R-Package

Default VVT engine with VICS into a 95 R-Package

Hey guys, I posted this at Miataturbo.net, but am cross-posting here because I know a few of you have some experience with swapping later engines into NA's, and local help is always a good thing.

On my drive here from Long Island, I toasted the engine (took a chunk out of an exhaust valve), in my formerly turbocharged 95 R-Package, and am presently elbows deep in installing a 2001 VVT engine. I've overcome some challenges along the way but am hoping to get some input on ecu selection from you guys.

The hard bits:
    2001 VVT engine, purple fuel injectors, valve cover mounted coils
    1999/2000 VICS manifold & fuel rail with 1995 FPR
    1995 CAS, Throttle Body, AIV, TPS, Water Temp Sensor, EGR system
    Innovate wideband, VDO gauges, 2.5" exhaust, old JR header and intake.

ECU's on hand:

1) Stock - Hoping I can run this, at least initially to shakedown the engine swap, and get the car to pass the sniffer in Dallas.

2) MSPNP - This is my Old Faithful. Been running it since I boosted the car. It was plenty fast, but I never could get anywhere near OEM-like driveability from it. Hot restarts sucked, it idled richer than hell, throttle tip in wasn't very good, and on and on. There were no Megasquirt tuners on Long Island, so I lived with it.

3) Reverant Build MS2 Enhanced - Purchased during the late 2010 group buy. Never got it running as well as the MSPNP, so it's been sitting in a box ever since.

Obviously, my Megasquirt skills are severely lacking, and not likely to improve dramatically any time soom (IOW - I ain't so smart). Luckily, now that I'm in Dallas, there is local MS talent, and a strong Miata commmunity.

So my questions:

1) If I use the stock ecu, I'll have no tachometer, since the original coils are 4 wire, and the new ones are 3. I'd use the stock coils, but the spark plug boots don't fit the 2001 valve cover. I assume the ECU will deal with the higher compression of the new engine with 93 octane fuel, and if needed, a reduction in base timing. Anyone see a problem with this choice? Other than adding an MSD Tach Adapter, is there any way to get a tach signal?

2) Would the MSPNP be able to control the VICS solenoid through an unused output?

3) What settings need to be changed on the MSPNP to accomodate the 2001 engine if I start with a NA base map? (Injector dead time, ignition coil related settings?)

4) Same questions as 2 & 3 for the Reverant MS2 Enhanced

5) I've seen enough VVTuner trouble threads to scare me off. So long term, I'm leaning towards a Reverant MS3 Basic, though Rev is currently running at a 2 month lead time, and I want to get back on the road NOW.

Ok, I've probably lost most of you by now, so I better stop. I've had my fun with boost, but with all the tracks down here, and I'm going to back to NA to simplify things.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Chris

Paging SirHustlerEsq.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)