Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TX front plate law.

Default TX front plate law.

Just saw this link...

Evidently as of Sept, 2013, no front plate, while technically illegal is not subject to a fine nor is it probable cause to pull someone over.

I have not run a front plate in years. Anyone been hassled recently for NFP?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Hasn't been an issue for me in years I've had and still have several cars that didn't have front plates.

But I think you source is flawed looks like Texas House Bill 625 passed and will be in effect on September 1st.

By: Harper-Brown

H.B. No. 625

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT
    relating to the penalty for the operation of a vehicle without a
    license plate.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
    SECTION 1. Section 504.943, Transportation Code, is amended
    by adding Subsection (e) to read as follows:
    (e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
    punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

SECTION 2. The change in law made by this Act applies only
    to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act.
    An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is
    covered by the law in effect on the date the offense was committed,
    and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For
    purposes of this section, an offense was committed before the
    effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurred
    before that date.
    SECTION 3. This Act takes effect September 1, 2013.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-02-2013 at 09:43 PM.

I have never run a front plate on any of my Miatas. In a total of 12 years of lawlessness, I've been pulled over exactly once. That was on 287 heading to the panhandle where the highway patrol is pretty thick. It was the probable cause to pull me over and check me out, but he was quite pleasant and chatty, just gave me a warning to document the event. As soon as I pulled away, he pulled a U-turn to stop a Viper -- that had no front plate.

I have never had a front plate on the xD, and I've gotten pulled over twice for it; both times by the same trooper in the same month, on the same stretch of Bush. Of course this was when they didn't have that little clause in there, so he only gave me warnings both times.

Tire Warmer

I just got pulled over for my front plate a couple days ago.
    I was let off with a warning he said I need to at least have it in my front window.

Remember that beer or two you had at Keller's? Pulls you over for no plate, smells that beer, and at best, you are only getting a road-side test.

The law is not new ... the fine is. All of you that had been pulled over. The officer was not being nice they just didn't have a choice about giving a warning only.

"Due to a mistake on the part of the Texas Legislature, the enforceability of the "no front license plate" statute is now in question. Since 1934, Texas law has required automobiles to have a valid front license plate. This offense was a class "C" misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $200. However, a last minute change in the statute at the end of the most recent legislative session (2011) resulted in the punishment section of the statute being inadvertently stricken.
    In essence, we now have a crime without a punishment. The bill's author, Rep. Joe Pickett, has asked for an opinion from the Texas Attorney General as to the effect of this omission. Pickett, in what could be described as a thinly-veiled effort to minimize his gaffe, was quoted as saying "It doesn't matter if there's a fine or not, it's still illegal, and you'll still be pulled over." However, the problem with Pickett's analysis lies in the fact that, without a clearly defined punishment range, it is impossible to know what level of offense is alleged to have been committed. Is it a class "C" misdemeanor? If so, then jurisdiction lies in a municipal or a justice court. Is it a class "A" or "B" misdemeanor? In that case, a county criminal court or county court-at-law would be the appropriate venue. A felony, perhaps? Probably not, but the point is that because the legislature is now silent on the issue of punishment, we simply have no way of knowing where jurisdiction lies for this "offense." Hence, a "no front license plate" case filed in ANY court would, at this juncture, be ripe for urging that the court lacks jurisdiction, inasmuch as jurisdiction has not been properly conferred on ANY court. If need be, Governor Perry could hold a special session of the legislature to address the issue.

The only way I've found to legally run without a front plate is to run one of the types of plates that are only issued as single plates. As far as I can tell, the only plates issued as singles are StreetRod, Antique, Classic and Military plates.

The first three require the car to be 25 years or older. The state will issue a single plate which is for the rear. For Antique and Historic you can also use Year Of Manufacture (YOM) plates. You have to have both YOM plates to get them approved, but only have to run one on the rear. If you do this, you will still get pulled over because the cop will see the absence of a front plate. But, you should not be ticketed for only running the plates issued to you.

The Military registration is a bit different. It only applies to ex-military vehicles that still resemble their original appearance. The serial number that is painted on the vehicle becomes the Texas registration number and no license plate is issued.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Remember that beer or two you had at Keller's? Pulls you over for no plate, smells that beer, and at best, you are only getting a road-side test.
    ^ This guy does make a good point.

And the single YOM dealer plates are not allowed anymore.

I've found the simple solution is to run a front plate and no rear plate. Or drive backwards. Fast.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 08-03-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Common to assign newbie Troopers to front plate/seat belt violations only. The times I have been stopped for no front tag were with new-to-the-force troopers (on commute between DFW/121 tollway and Paris TX). Engage them in a conversation--I always do--they will tell you this. Sometimes you will see a Field Training Officer in the passenger seat.
    Quote: One of them said: "Mr. May, I see this is the eighth time you have received a warning for this." ouch!

Paul

No front plate on my Miata or my 70 Plymouth and have never been pulled over.............yet.

Yes you will def get pulled over for no front palte after Sept 1 st

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey3229 View Post
    Yes you will def get pulled over for no front palte after Sept 1 st
    Cool story bro!

Chassis Designer

I understand that, also effective September 1, the rule for moving over one lane or slowing down 20 mph for Police/Fire vehicles along the road side (with lights flashing) now applies to Highway Workers vehicles, too. So be careful out there!

Quote Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
    I understand that, also effective September 1, the rule for moving over one lane or slowing down 20 mph for Police/Fire vehicles along the road side (with lights flashing) now applies to Highway Workers vehicles, too. So be careful out there!
    I see THAT one being a major source for revenue on the PGBT! Those damn landscapers are always out there doing something. Cut our tolls and plant some native shit that doesn't need so much attention.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Those damn landscapers are always out there doing something. Cut our tolls and plant some native shit that doesn't need so much attention.
    On the SRT, I wish they'd spend less on landscaping and more on signs, one particular sign "Left Lane for Passing Only"!
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Even if you have a single-plate car, a legit one, a cop can still pull you over for no front plate. He will then determine that it is ok to have no plate. However, you are then subject to whatever else he finds while he has you pulled over.

Moral of the story is I run a front plate to avoid hassels. Why give them a freebie probable cause to pull you over?
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Even if you have a single-plate car, a legit one, a cop can still pull you over for no front plate. He will then determine that it is ok to have no plate. However, you are then subject to whatever else he finds while he has you pulled over.

Moral of the story is I run a front plate to avoid hassels. Why give them a freebie probable cause to pull you over?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast