Thread: Southwest party/drive planning stage

Default Southwest party/drive planning stage

I'm currently in the planning stages for a possible 2 day retreat party / drive southwest of the metroplex sometime in mid October. Party and retreat festivities would be held on a Friday at the Texas Star Ranch and Retreat in Weatherford then do the drive on Saturday...

Retreat
    I haven't heard back from the Texas Star so I don't have an idea of costs involved yet. If too costly the retreat could be skipped but it would be nice not having to drive 2 hours on boring interstate from DFW just to get to the good roads for a drive. Plus spending a day chillaxing at this place with all the activities they seem to provide looks like fun. Accommodation options could range from bring a tent (free) to a Honeymoon suite ($$$). Or make your own Friday night accommodation plans. Or just show up Saturday morning for the drive.
    http://thetexasstarrandr.blogspot.com/

Drive
    I have my preliminary route broken down into 3 sections :

Section 1 - Depart about 10am. Weatherford to Clifton with 1 hour stops for festivals/gas in Granbury and Clifton (the Norwegian Capital of Texas!!).
    https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...80823,2.175293

http://www.visitclifton.org/page/fall-fest.aspx

Section 2 - Clifton to Stephenville with a quick stop in Fairy, TX for a group photo op and gas stop in Stephenville.
    https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...87291,2.175293

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explo...c&user=4270073

Section 3 - Stephenville to Granbury ending at Stumpy's grill on Lake Granbury.
    https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...e69870d7&msa=0

http://www.lakegranburymarinainc.com...lakeside_grill

The preliminary dates are Oct. 18/19 but are open to change. The 2 festivals are on the 19th. There is a Corvette show in Granbury a week earlier on the 12th but there is a supposedly large car show at the Clifton Fall Fest on the 19th. The days could be moved to Sat./Sun but everything closes early on Sunday or isn't open at all. A primary concern is the weather. Definitely wanna do this on a rain free decent day. Directions are provided on the Google map pages.

Reply with comments or concerns if any of this sounds like something you want to participate in. I'll need to get a rough number of participants when I get closer to finalizing plans, especially concerning the Texas Star.

Driver

interesting....
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

Indeed
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Hmmmm
    2001 SE BRG Miata #2026, Aka: The Green Slug

In for more details

Sure is nice that time of year... and I have a Miata-friendly tent. That weekend might suck for me due to an East Texas family reunion. I'd like to make a weekend out of a Three Sisters run at some point.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Finally heard back from Texas Star. First the bad news.......no booze allowed. They don't sell it nor can you take your own. I'm guessing that's a deal killer for some of you. If so, post up and let me know. I'm not much of a drinker but for those that are, I'm sure chillin' by the pool nursing a Sprite ain't gonna cut it.

The good news is the pricing seems fairly reasonable. The facilities usage fee, or the "retreat" fee is $150 regardless of the number of people who show up. So if 15 people go, it's $10 a head. Optional overnight accommodation prices are as follows:

Bring a tent: $20 although I think I can get this cheaper if several people opt for this. She kinda pulled that price out of her ass.
    Bunkhouse bed: $20, there's 5 bunkhouses with 16 beds each. Pillow fights are no extra charge!
    Hotel style rooms: $65, 7 rooms with a single king bed, 2 adjoining rooms with 2 queen beds and share a bathroom (for families).
    honeymoon suite: $110, 2 level suite with king bed and a pullout sofa.

Food:
    You can bring in your own food but can't hire catering. Or optionally partake in the following,
    Friday night BBQ buffet: $12.95 with several meats and sides
    Saturday breakfast buffet: $6 eggs, bacon, sausage etc. and choice of biscuits/gravy or waffles/pancakes.

Only weekend dates available in Oct. are 4-6th and 18-20th. On Friday, you can arrive/check-in from noon on. There's a theatre room to watch dvd's but there's a $500 deposit on that in case someone trashes a leather sofa. However I think movies can be watched in the party barn. For activities they offer putting green, baseball field, basketball court, tennis court, sand volleyball, horse shoes, a pool, party barn, pool tables and even some llamas if you desire a good spit in the face.

So raise your hand if the no booze policy is a no-go for you.

I did, however, find another possible alternative.....http://vistagrande.webs.com/
    WhatEVER you do, don't click on Carla's pics.

Quote Originally Posted by ptech View Post
    I did, however, find another possible alternative.....http://vistagrande.webs.com/
    WhatEVER you do, don't click on Carla's pics.
    Clothing optional sausage fest? No thanks! I can barely stand looking at most of you fully clothed. I'd dare say I'd rather look at Carla than see jdcanadian's Prince Albert.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by ptech View Post
    whatever you do, don't click on carla's pics. ::yikes::
    Oh shit! Can't unsee!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Oh shit! Can't unsee!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Oh shit! Can't unsee!
    Here you go Rick....

...and across the line.

I'd like to make a weekend out of a Three Sisters run at some point.
    Yeah, I'd like to hit that sometime, see some family down that way too.

I hope Carla's pics didn't poison this thread.

Anybody feeling the Texas Star? Is the no booze policy a turn off? Turn on? Don't care?

Carla's pics are a turn off.

I'm out. We are going to be out of town that week. Taking the kiddo to

Can't wait to go to Cars Land!

...and across the line.

Will you be staying at the Cozy Cone Motel?