Thread: Pop-ups! How do I KILL those bastards?

Default Pop-ups! How do I KILL those bastards?

I have been fighting a pop-up problem for two days, running spy-bot, and two other programs to no avail. Gabby Garner talked me through a clean-up session tonight, and while improved, I still have a problem. Any ideas on how to get rid of this crap???
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've been using Yahoo's toolbar pop-up blocker. Works great for me and it's free!

http://toolbar.yahoo.com/

If you have popups that are coming up while browsing sites that have never had popup problems before then your machine is infected with something.

Try the popup blocker recommended... but also install the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. It's actually a VERY nice piece of software. (which I hope MS doesn't screw up like everything else they touch)

Keep in mind that there are some pieces of software that you have to boot into 'safe mode' or turn off some of the Windows safeguards to be able to fully remove. Windows has this nasty ability to restore deleted files if they were in the %systemroot% or %systemroot%\system32 directory (among other directories as well)... So you may think you are deleting the files and they just somehow come back

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    install the Microsoft Anti-Spyware. It's actually a VERY nice piece of software.

I agree.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx

I use a tripple cocktail of Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search and Destroy, and Microsoft AntiSpyware. I run each, one after the other, once a month. No matter what order I run them, they all find and repair different things, telling me no one product does it all.

I still use the Proxomitron

Unfortunately, the guy who wrote it no longer supports it... but... you can still find it at:

http://www.proxomitron.info/
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I use a triple cocktail of Ad-Aware, Spybot-Search and Destroy, and Microsoft AntiSpyware. I run each, one after the other, once a month. No matter what order I run them, they all find and repair different things, telling me no one product does it all.
    Same here. AdAware and Spybot are both available for free download if you search the web.

Between those three and switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox as my web browser (on the recommendation of some of this forum's members), I no longer have issues with spyware.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I use the free Ad aware program. It worked wonders for me.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have already installed the three mentioned, spy-bod search and destroy, Ad-ware, and Microsoft Antispy ware. Last night I ran each consecutively in safe-mode, and capped it off with running Norton. As someone else mentioned, each of them captured different stuff. While the problem has slowed compared to the bombarment I was getting, it still exists. Henry Lin is coming over tonight to see if he can clean it up for me... I'm worse than a car-clueless female when it comes to computer glitches...

I use Yahoo, and it shows the blocker is enabled, but it doesn't work...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

What is your version of IE?

If it isn't 6.0 you need to upgrade. Have you run all the Microsoft Updates?

What OS and Service Pack are you running?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)