Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting a baseline Dyno on my 2000 BPR Turbo car tomorrow

Nice numbers and this pipe should be a standard component for the turbo setups.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Here is the dyno plot.

106/104 stock
    154/133 JRSC
    163/152 BRP Turbo
    186/168 BRP Turbo + 2.5" Midpipe

Chris

Hey Chris,

I noticed your first run on just the turbo setup was in 3rd gear. Your other runs are in 4th gear. In your case, your 3rd run would have read higher if it was in 4th gear, probably around 6-10 HP. With the Miata gearing your best readings will always be in 4th gear. Either way, the conclusion is the same with the mid pipe increase.

I can't read the fuel figures that well. First glance looks really fat. Would you send me the Dyno Jet files? Download the latest Dyno Jet viewer program and you can seperate the HP, TQ and fuel in different charts so you can read them better with higher resolution and then PDF the file.

You are on a roll, I see greatness in this project!

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Gary,

I will email you the files when I get home tonight. I am excited about it as well.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    I noticed your first run on just the turbo setup was in 3rd gear. Your other runs are in 4th gear. In your case, your 3rd run would have read higher if it was in 4th gear, probably around 6-10 HP. With the Miata gearing your best readings will always be in 4th gear.
    This is interesting information. I seem to recall that a few FM2s in the area have dynoed at ATS and gotten lower then expected numbers. I wonder if they are in the practice of doing all their pulls in 3rd gear, causing lower numbers for the Miatas?

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I noticed your first run on just the turbo setup was in 3rd gear. Your other runs are in 4th gear. In your case, your 3rd run would have read higher if it was in 4th gear, probably around 6-10 HP. With the Miata gearing your best readings will always be in 4th gear.
    This is interesting information. I seem to recall that a few FM2s in the area have dynoed at ATS and gotten lower then expected numbers. I wonder if they are in the practice of doing all their pulls in 3rd gear, causing lower numbers for the Miatas?
    That must be what happened to the POS Racer! Yea.. that's the ticket..

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Here are some different FI Miatas all done at ATS that showed lower then most others get:

TurboDuane- 90 FMI, 149hp
    Screamin'Screw- 93, FMII 185 hp
    Aaron for ATS- 99 FMII, 202 hp
    TurboDuane- 97FMII, 204 hp

While in California, I saw 2 FM Miata dynoed on a dyno jet... a 92 FMI that turned 158, and a 99 FMII that turned 213.

What is real interesting is doing an ALL GEAR dyno pull where you start out in first and work your way through the gears. Because of your gearing the power levels are lowest in first. Example, say you have 200 HP in 4th gear, you would probably see around 178 HP in 1st, 185 in 2nd, 192 in 3rd and so on. Don't hold me to those numbers, but it is interesting to see how much lower your measured HP level is in the lower gears.

No, you don't have less power in those other gears, just measured power. Our 4th gear is close to 1-1 ratio so it is a better base of the power level you have or at least better bragging rights! For testing a new part for comparision it does not really matter as long as you do it in the same gear, that is the ticket.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

Concerning ATS...

I know at the dyno day that I went to, all of the pulls were done in 4th gear on the 5-speed cars. FWIW, my car made slightly more power at ATS than it did at Jotech in Garland.

Also, since ATS's dyno is actually Flyin Miata's old one (they had it shipped down here from Colorado), and a lot of people seemed to agree that FM's old dyno was optimistic, I'm suprised that ATS is producing lower than expected results for you FI guys.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain wrote
    Also, since ATS's dyno is actually Flyin Miata's old one (they had it shipped down here from Colorado), and a lot of people seemed to agree that FM's old dyno was optimistic, I'm suprised that ATS is producing lower than expected results for you FI guys
    My pulls in both my cars at ATS were in 3rd Gear FWIW. Also, while ATS uses the "same" dyno that FM used for their figures, I've had FM explain to me that when the Dyno's computer compensates for Altitude (FM is in Colorado for those that don't know), this tends to keep NA and SuperCharged car measurements correct, but tends to be optimistic with the turbo cars. Keep in mind, If I've got my turbo set to 8psi, It will produce 8PSI at altitude (albeiet it works a little harder) as well as it will at sea level, thus hp should remain aproximately the same Altitude or not. :afro:
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

No, not the same horsepower, just the same boost. Higher altitude has thinner, less dense air which will reduce your horsepower.

Gary
    www.trackdogracing.com

No, not the same horsepower, just the same boost. Higher altitude has thinner, less dense air which will reduce your horsepower.

Gary
    I'm not sure I agree with you (realizing it's not wise to debate with an expert on boost, such as yourself) as the turbo compensates for the thinner air with the boost, effectively lowering your altitude a lot and bringing the air back to a denser state. Granted there will be minor loss as the computer is working off of less kpa than at sea level to calculate the boost. Bottom line the loss of h/p on a turbo'd car is not at all relative to the loss of power on a NA car as altitude goes up, thus the over-rating of turbo'd cars that are dyno'd at altitude where correction figures come into play.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12