Thread: WAR! "We want to take the showroom stock B class"

Default WAR! "We want to take the showroom stock B class"

PONTIAC DECLARES WAR ON MIATA!

Linkie.

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Competition is a good thing for automakers.

I agree competition is good, and Mazda could use a bit of a scare in order to up the anti a little with the Miata (the NC is a good start, but I'd like to see it lose a few pounds ). But if Pontiac is gunning for the Miata in autocross, I don't believe the Solstice is going to be a significant threat to the MSM (which is the only Miata in BS class) or the '99 Sport (if the Solstice is placed in CS). And besides, it looks like the RX8 might be the "car to beat" in BS if the results from the Houston Tour are any indication...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

With the high redline on the rotary, would you even need to shift on most courses?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    With the high redline on the rotary, would you even need to shift on most courses?
    The 2nd gear redline on an RX-8 is about 65mph - it may spin to 9000rpm, but it's geared relatively short in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to make up for the lack of torque. Still, that's going to minimize the number of 3rd gear shifts compared to an MSM, for example.

Quick piece of useless trivia - did you know the FD RX-7 was geared tall enough - in conjunction with its 8000 rpm redline - to theoretically hit 205mph in 5th gear? Of course, it didn't have the power in stock form, but even so...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

BTW, the Solstice version that GM plans to run in SSB and Grand Am is a coupe version. I'm interested in seeing that, as I liked the looks of the Solstice Coupe show car better than the convertible.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    And besides, it looks like the RX8 might be the "car to beat" in BS if the results from the Houston Tour are any indication...
    B Stock is shaping up to be an interesting class. The RX-8 has a shot, but the Porsche 968 of Stephen Hui (co-driven by Ron & Annie Bauer) has been dominant on the west coast, the 350Z has proven competitive at a couple of Tours so far, and Sam Strano (of Strano Parts and f-body fame) hopped in an underprepared MR2 Turbo in Atlanta and drove it to second place. It should be a fun class to watch with a lot of variety at Nationals this year.
    Iain

If the Solstice handling is anything like the GTO, it won't have a chance! I loved the look of the GTO and the 400HP but was bummed when I drove one. Terrible understeer, slow steering, and very soft springs/shocks. I suspect the Solstice will be similar, not to mention that it is almost 400 lbs heavier than a Miata.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

And I don't know... Maybe a well driven MSM could give a few BStockers fits...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)