Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '97 Miata M Edition build thread

Default '97 Miata M Edition build thread

I have lots of plans that will hopefully become reality in time so I figure why not keep things simple and do a single thread. I have thoroughly enjoyed owning my NB1 but upon figuring out its burning oil at about 1 quart per 700 miles I had to figure out what to do. Unfortunately I dropped some coin right away so at first I was going to build another motor or rebuild mine but since I originally wanted a NA I figured now was the time. I REALLY wanted a '93 LE but didn't want the 1.6 and viscous lsd but didnt count on finding a LE anytime soon much less with a 1.8 and torsen swap so I moved onto the NA8's. I had originally entertained several different '97 M's before getting the NB1 so although it wasn't my goal I came across one with only 93k miles and a clean car fax with documented maintenance records. After negotiating and meeting to inspect and finalizing the transaction, I was the happy owner of my first NA.
    Last edited by whoswatchingme; 10-11-2013 at 12:27 AM.

09-28-13: Had the 15x8 +25 Konig Flatout's (machined finish and weighing in at 12.4lbs) w/ 225/45/15 Hankook Ventus RS3's taken off my NB1 and put on the M but need to take pictures.

Today I corrected Mazdas interior mistake and completed the Nardi theme

Thanks to Rev9 Autosport for the Royal Clover key. I think it compliments the car nicely.

At this point I think chasis rigidity is my goal given the increased chassis flex the NA suffers over the NB. Probably Flyin Miata frame rail braces will be the first addition with various other braces in the future. I was originally going to go with FM V Maxx coilovers but have been seriously considering Fat Cat motorsports. I don't know what direction for sure I will take but yalls input and experience is appreciated.
    Last edited by whoswatchingme; 10-03-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whoswatchingme View Post
    I was originally going to go with FM V Maxx coilovers but have been seriously considering Fat Cat motorsports. I don't know what direction for sure I will take but yalls input and experience is appreciated.
    Cool thread.

Best thing to do is see if you can drive them. I'm rocking FCM -- happy to let you take a spin (not literally please).

Quote Originally Posted by hornetball View Post
    Cool thread.

Best thing to do is see if you can drive them. I'm rocking FCM -- happy to let you take a spin (not literally please).
    Thanks when I'm up in the DFW area I will let you know ahead ot time. Thanks again!

Suspension Modder

I have that same steering wheel in my '94...but it looks a lot better in the tan/wood trim interior. I will enjoy this thread

hornetball is in Granbury, closer to you than DFW
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

After an accurate diagnosis and solution from Dennis Nicholls on miata.net I got my headlight shake reolved. First I adjusted stops but that did very little so I ordered the rod thru Rosenthal and installed it today and problem solved, no headlight shake, yay!

Now that the headlight issue is resolved I need to install the window guide kit from Miata B racer and the small things are resolved.

Next I need to reduce chasis flex(as previously stated) because it is much more obvious in the NA vs my NB so I'm thinking the best bang for buck is Flyin Miata frame rails..thoughts? The price tag fits what I currently have to spend and at the claimed 30% increase in chasis rigidity, it sounds like a wise step in the right direction. I plan on eventually doing frog arm braces, Beatrush PPF performance brace, roll bar, front strut tower brace and probably rear tower brace. As far as struts go I'm leaning VERY heavily towards Fat Cat Motorsports Elite coilovers and every one of Shaikh's videos I am more and more convinced.
    Last edited by whoswatchingme; 10-11-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Be sure you have the time to wait on FCM... Promised vs delivery can be miles apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Be sure you have the time to wait on FCM... Promised vs delivery can be miles apart.
    I got mine within 2x of the promised delivery time frame

Got my Flyin Miata frame rail braces installed and changed out the filter while I had her on stands.

The difference in rigidity is impressive and can only imagine the results with the butterfly brace as well. Now it feels ALMOST as rigid as my NB1 but not quit there yet. Cowl shake is reduced, bumps are more evenly distributed and cornering speed is now more stable where else before the rear end would come out some. Love, love, love it!

I plan to order the FM braces for my 95 too. How long did it take to install them? Also, how long did it take for them to deliver them to you once you ordered them?

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_MX5 View Post
    I plan to order the FM braces for my 95 too. How long did it take to install them? Also, how long did it take for them to deliver them to you once you ordered them?

cheers.
    Taking my time and flying solo, it was 5-6 hours but I also changed the fuel filter. I think from the time I ordered them to the day they were delivered was 3-5 days, pretty quick. I highly recommend the upgrade but that's no earth shattering news since they are tried and true. :toast:

Quote Originally Posted by whoswatchingme View Post
    Taking my time and flying solo, it was 5-6 hours but I also changed the fuel filter. I think from the time I ordered them to the day they were delivered was 3-5 days, pretty quick. I highly recommend the upgrade but that's no earth shattering news since they are tried and true. :toast:
    Thanks for the reply. Planning on getting/installing them over the Christmas break.

cheers.

I have the FM rails and butterfly brace. I had my butterfly brace off for a few days and I felt like the car flexed more without it. You might consider getting the butterfly brace down the road.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    I have the FM rails and butterfly brace. I had my butterfly brace off for a few days and I felt like the car flexed more without it. You might consider getting the butterfly brace down the road.
    Thanks for relating that experience but I do plan on getting it. The next suspension mod is FCM coilovers.

Did both belts today on my '97 only to discover the adjuster for the alternator was gone!Fortunately they are the same for 1.8's so i pulled it of my '00 LS which i discovered the alternator belt was about to go on it...what are the chances? Thanks William for the assistance on the adjustment for the p/s!

Also got my window switch from Revlimiter installed today.

This is subjective, of course, but you can remove the trim ring around the bolts on the Nardi wheel. IMO it looks cleaner and more attractive. I'm not quite sure where my trim ring is these days...

MC70: I would agree but due to the quick release, the horn button will not sit flush. Will probably take care of that issue one day. I can't wait to get my Warbird gauges installed, nothing too cutom like yours, really the only difference the tach and speedometer zero's @ 10' o clock.

Nice! I love the Warbirds. My son has the basic black and white version with green illumination and I think they are incredible looking. I have been thinking of trying something with the tach; I may be able to reverse the polarity and have it sweep the opposite direction. I think that would be very cool. The very Adam to whip up a mirrored tach face.

Ya mine are basic black with white lettering and the said 10 o' clock zero position and will be doing red back lighting and i used an exacto knife to shave the gauge needles down to be thin and painted the tips to match the Westach gauges i plan on getting to achieve a "fighter plane" feel.
    Last edited by whoswatchingme; 12-13-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast