Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TX Region SCCA Autocross #8 - Sunday, October 13, 2013 - TMS Infield Road Course

Default TX Region SCCA Autocross #8 - Sunday, October 13, 2013 - TMS Infield Road Course

8th autocross of the year: TX Region SCCA Solo #8 - Sunday, October 13th.

Where? Texas Motor Speedway Infield Road Course in Fort Worth, TX.

Event #8 Schedule:

•Registration & Tech Inspection: 7:30am - 8:30am (PLEASE DON’T BE LATE)
    (If you are new to TX Region SCCA events, please be AT THE SITE by 7:30am)

•Course opens: 8:00am (approx.)

•Novice Walkthru: 8:30am (approx.)

•MANDATORY Drivers Meeting: 9:00am (approx.)

•First Runs Start 9:30am (Approx.)

•Trophies (and BEER ) approx. 30 minutes after conclusion of runs. (approx. 3:30 PM)

Online Registration closes Friday night, October 11th at 11:59pm.

**NO Walk up registrations are allowed on site for this event. Online registration ONLY.

Online Registration Link:
    http://msreg.us/2013TXEvent8

All this information and MORE is available on the Texas Region SCCA Solo webpage:
    http://texasscca.org/soloautocross

Running on the road course brings with it some special requirements - you must have autocrossed at least 3 times in the current year to be eligible for this event. (clubs other than SCCA qualify) We'll be checking local results when you sign up, and will contact you if we can't verify that you meet the prerequisite. This is a safety issue for us - not so much for the drivers, but for the workers. The Road Course is a large venue with workers spread out over long stretches. It's important that the worker pool be experienced in this situation.

This event will be online registration only. THERE ARE NO WALK UP REGISTRATIONS PERMITTED. This is necessary for us to verify your experience and it also helps us plan a better event for you! Because of the expenses associated with such an awesome venue, there is a $5 registration fee increase for the road course.

Are you designing the course, Jerrett? If so, will there be a map posted before the event?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

There isn't much designing to do. Its just the road course with some slaloms and offsets to keep the speeds in check. Google earth will tell you all you need to know.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I can't wait for this event... sounds like a ton of fun.
    '09 Marble White

I definitely want to see a map before I decide whether or not to sign up. In previous years all of the elements designed to "keep speeds in check" ended up making it drastically less safe than the road course with no cones.

That's true. We spent four days letting total noobs drive supercars around it with hardly a hiccup. Of course' there was the one lady who put a Lambo into the wall at 70...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Wish I lived closer to a track that hosts autox events. I think the track in Austin does them.

Jerrett

Is requirement 3 autocross this year (your statement), or 3 autocross period (statement i see on Texas Reg solo website)? I ask because this year I've done 2 this year (was signed up for after-Lincoln party, but was sick :) ), but did an BMWCCA autocross last year. Would like to get to run again.

Phil Elmore
    2001 BRG Miata SE and 2007 MINI Cooper S

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whoswatchingme View Post
    Wish I lived closer to a track that hosts autox events. I think the track in Austin does them.
    How far is it to College Station? The TAMU sports car club hosts autocrosses.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    How far is it to College Station? The TAMU sports car club hosts autocrosses.
    45 miles or so, not too far. Thanks for the heads up, I will have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by eliandi View Post
    Jerrett

Is requirement 3 autocross this year (your statement), or 3 autocross period (statement i see on Texas Reg solo website)? I ask because this year I've done 2 this year (was signed up for after-Lincoln party, but was sick :) ), but did an BMWCCA autocross last year. Would like to get to run again.

Phil Elmore
    I think three from anytime. My quote was pasted from the SCCA registration on Motorsport Reg.

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    Are you designing the course, Jerrett? If so, will there be a map posted before the event?
    Nope. The course has to be approved by the Divisional a Safety Steward, they they must use the existing course over and over or go through hoops getting a new one approved.

So the same course we used in 2011?
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I'm in .. Woohoo! Always wanted to race on the infield road course

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMcCann View Post
    So the same course we used in 2011?
    Yes, and also 2004, 2005, 2006, etc. But, every year there are very slight variances in cone placement, nothing major.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Just to add something to this thread...

Speeds obtained thru the course are the biggest concern both in relation to what SCCA Solo rules specify & what our insurance regulates us too. While it would be easy to just say that an open course without elements to slow the driver down to "typical highway speed's" (which is what most autocross insurance liability policies specify), SCCA autocross events also fall under the scrutiny of a Safety Steward who also must be keep maximum speeds in check. Event officials are unable to just ignore the rules & regulations set in place.
    The typical car running at an autocross is still for the most part someone's daily driver/grocery getter & not setup for high speed road events. Most autocrossers don't perform the needed brake maintenance needed to avoid something like brake fade or failure that could happen if higher speeds came into play. Nor have most cars been modified to increase the driver's safety if something did happen at higher speeds. Ignoring these basic facts would be irresponsible of the event officials.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Yes, and also 2004, 2005, 2006, etc. But, every year there are very slight variances in cone placement, nothing major.
    Actually, there was so much of a change on the 2011 design that we had to have the Division Safety Steward & National Office approve the course.
    Brad Maxcy
    Texas Region SCCA Solo
    [email protected]

30% chance of rain
    Brad McCann
    GS Genesis Coupe
    Korean Camaro Racing

I've ran every event there sine 2005. While the courses are similar. There is still enough of a difference to not call it exactly the same. Never thought any of the courses were dangerous either. But then again, accidents happen.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast