Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STS suspension

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question STS suspension

I know there are a few STS drivers here. Jimmy has AST's, Steve E. has FCM's, and nealb has Koni Sports.

What do you like/dislike about your current setup? What spring rates are you running? How does it ride/drive on the street?

Aren't two of the cars you have listed towed to events on trailers?

Trying to be constructive. When I was watching at SCCA #9, I was wondering why your car did not look as fast. My first thought was the diff.
    Were you having traction issues? The car just did not have the forward speed as compared to the other cars you are referencing. Do they have engine tunes / mods that you don't? Same tires?

Can't vouch for the STS setup, but I have AST 5100s on my daily driven S2000. Spring rates are relatively mild (600 F/500 R), about 2.5X OEM rates. Car is comfortable enough that I've daily driven it with these rate for over two years, including several ~500 mile road trips.

My 5100s do not have the double-digressive pistons on the newer 4150s and they aren't Cadillac plush, but it rides well enough that I've never felt the need to upgrade them. After 15k miles they are probably due for a rebuild, and I'll probably have them converted to DDP sometime early next year.

I've used a number of different aftermarket shocks over the years, and the ASTs have been my favorite, hands down. Well built, excellent customer service, reliable and a good compromise between street comfort and track performance.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    When I was watching at SCCA #9, I was wondering why your car did not look as fast. My first thought was the driver.
    Were you having narcolepsy issues?
    Fixed!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Aren't two of the cars you have listed towed to events on trailers?
    Yes....but they still have to be driven on to the trailer at some point!

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    Trying to be constructive. When I was watching at SCCA #9, I was wondering why your car did not look as fast. My first thought was the diff.
    I was having traction issues....part of the problem was/is the driver and my low-budget suspension build. I'll lay some blame on a blown rear shock...was like that when I got there that morning. Since I have the 1.8
    engine, I have to run an open diff. in STS.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I've used a number of different aftermarket shocks over the years, and the ASTs have been my favorite, hands down. Well built, excellent customer service, reliable and a good compromise between street comfort and track performance.
    Thanks, good to know! That's the kind of setup I'm looking for...one the wife can drive and I don't get yelled at when she gets home!

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Fixed!
    I resemble that remark!

I love my ASTs. That is not to say they are better or worse than others, but I find the ride very acceptable for 700/450 spring rates. It ain't a Caddy, but on long trips to out of town events, the ride quality is not a problem.

If you want to be competitive in STS, then you need stiff springs. You need good dampers if you want to properly control those stiff springs. Good dampers ain't cheap.

If I were you, I would call Hanchey Vehicle Technologies.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Everything I've read about the AST's has been positive...just have to pry the wallet wayyyyyyyyyy open for a set!

Can someone explain what the XIDA Club Sports are? Are they an AST package/build only sold by 949?

725/400 FCM doubles. Not bad on the street. 88 Durometer motor mounts are another thing. Buzz you to death. FCMs are better than the revalved Tiens i had with similar rates. If i did it again i would go ast.

I believe the Xidas are AST's built to Emilio's specs, kind of like FM's Afcos or TDR's Yellowspeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Not a bad deal for some SAs.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    Was reading about those on the pointy board...big pissing contest going on between brands. So MCS are the guys who left Moton after AST bought them out, correct?

Yep, that's right. KB runs them on his NC, and Whitener won both his jackets on them too.

Not sure if they are doing anything for NA's yet, but KenO really likes his HVT's.
    Polished Turd Racing

Neal has Andy's old shocks for sale.

http://www.sccaforums.com/forums/aft/444818

The 28 series are a big step up from the sports.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^I saw those and talked to Neal about them last weekend...thanks Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^I saw those and talked to Neal about them last weekend...thanks Robert.
    He tell you to move along cheapskate??

Everything I've read/heard about 28's is that they are poor for the street, and they will need frequent rebuilds if you do street them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Check the pointy board thread on sts state of art. Klippel and others run different rates than the 1.6 crowd to make the open diff work better.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    If I were you, I would call Hanchey Vehicle Technologies.
    I called HVT and told them I was interested in AST's for autocross. He immediately recommended I call 949 Racing.

Just got off the phone with 949....Emilio recommended a 750f/400r spring set up. Next group will be ready for shipment on 12/2/13.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast