Thread: How much is my miata shell worth? with pictures!!!

Default How much is my miata shell worth? with pictures!!!

Hey guys I am beseeching the great and powerful members of dfwmiata to help me determine how much money my stuff is worth. I am doing this here because its all local members so you have a better idea of what the parts are worth here and not in cali or florida. Second theres no way in the world that I want to ship this stuff to china or Newfoundland etc.

I'm not super well known in the community but a few of you may know me from the trackdog garage sale day etc. If not I can provide examples of people who know me to be a stand up and fair person. Im not looking to make a killing on these parts just trying to get what they are worth.

Okay with all that out of the way, we have the miata shell which right now is a whole miata but will be turning into an exocet aka http://exomotive.com/exocet/.

That will leave the following parts from the miata:
    Complete 2001 frame, all exterior body panels including hardtop with renmetal brackets
    Interior minus steering wheel, rollbar, pedals and seats

This is what I would be selling and need a price for, some items of consideration
    The car just had a professional paint job 2 years ago, not that it matters but it was 3k and change, it has a lifetime warranty for defects chipping etc. It was painted ferrari nero daytona I have included a pic (not mine) of the gold flake in there it is truly something awesome when the sun comes out. I get complements almost everywhere I go on it. The paint has been buffed claybar'd since day 30 and has a shine and smoothness that you wouldnt believe.
    The hardtop has had one of the rear Frankenstein bolt holders repaired as it was broken before I owned the hardtop. It has held strong for the 3 years ive owned it but i wanted to be upfront.
    Again the pictures show a whole car BUT, this is JUST A SHELL, so NO engine trans subframes wheels ecu wiring harness anything that makes the car run drive and stop.

I have attached some pictures sorry they suck haha! Please let me know how much I should ask for this stuff 1$, $2000 $3000 A MILLION DOLLARS MUAHAHA?!
    Thanks for listening!

a small rock chip on passenger side door

here is an example of the flake in the paint

I'd say the shell is worth $1500 as a package, with the HT. I'm assuming you will be retaining the title for the exocet, so you really only have some misc parts and a large chunk of metal that someone will have to recycle or dispose of. You can probably make an extra $500-$1000 by doing a part-out, then selling what remains to a Mazda scrapyard or maybe TDR if there is enough decent stuff left to make it worth their trouble. I'm fairly certain they would buy it from you as a complete shell if you choose not to sell off the goodies first, but they might not have much interest if its picked clean.

Curious as to why you'd keep the rollbar for an exocet?

If you do decide to do a part out, I'd have interest in some of it. The HT is obviously the majority of your value. You didn't mention the condition of the softop. If you want the most $$ for the least trouble, sell the HT by itself and the rest of the car to TDR.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

if you do part out, i would be interested in some parts as well
    silver 91 miata - no mas
    gold 91 miata w/ hardtop - no mas
    99 emerald green mica miata - just found!

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Actually i will be registering the exocet as a 2014 assembled vehicle so I dont believe i need the title but I will check on that. I assumed (maybe wrongly) that the title would go with the shell so someone could rebody there wrecked car. The only reason im keeping the rollbar and stuff is to sell it separately from the shell. The softtop was beyond repair when I bought the car a long time ago it was given away years ago and i just keep the hardtop on most of the year.

I never considered selling the car to tdr thats an excellent idea as they have worked on it and seen it in the shop, I will definitely check up on that.

For now im really not interested in doing a part out, there just so much work with the 15-20 transactions as opposed to 1-3 tire kickers and 1 buyer. I parted out a car before and it was a clusterfuck i had so many useless bibs and bobs left over that were worthless but who know what the future brings.

Another thing is that since it was painted a non standard miata color would anyone even want a single body panel on its own, it wouldnt match paint wise to anything else on the car
    Last edited by Bluegs03; 01-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.

If you want, I've got complete NB front and rear subframes. Disc-to-disc including non-lsd diff, axles, arms, etc...if you don't want to disable your tub.

I'd potentially be interested in buying a rolling NB tub with a hardtop. I don't need the engine, trans, electrics, pedals, interior, dash, radiator, etc... I'd use it for another track-only car.

You need to find someone that has a spare LS crate motor and needs a body to put it in...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Sounds like Modernbeat is your man. I think you are correct that the title can stay with the car if you are applying for a new 2014 title based off the fresh chassis. Some folks keep it titled as a Miata for simplicity, but I'd think a 2014 title would have its benefits.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Modern beat, sounds like we can work something out, id really love for the car to stay in the track scene as that has been its main purpose. Its funny though your original black nb is what inspired me to get a miata to have it go to you would be frankly an honor and a complement. Ill send ya a pm? if it will let me

the 2014 title is advantageous mainly because you get the 2 year new car exempt from emissions thingy.

Engine Builder

can we trade my soft top and some cash for the hardtop...? I think its possible.... Or maybe I could take my 1999 stuff and put it all in there...hmm any thoughts?

How much are you looking to get for that hard dog, and which one is it?

Before this spirals into selling off stuff, let me say thank you OZMDD for all your help in figuring out how much its worth. I will be taking the car apart and when it is apart I will create a proper for sale thread and then people can go for whatever they want. This thread was simply to figure out how much it was worth, I will be selling stuff at a later date when the car is in pieces.
    Thank you all!