Thread: 1992 - clutch problem?

Question 1992 - clutch problem?

I have a 1992 standard miata that I have already replaced the clutch master and slave cylinder plus installed new steel flex line last May.

Every thing was working fine until now. Now when you push in the clutch , all the way to the floor, it sorda doesn't disengage first gear... However does kinda shift ok through the remaining gears.

When I press down the clutch.. All the way to the floor. The slave cylinder only moves the release lever 1/2 inch. It just doesn't seem like that's far enough. Am I wrong?

Also I checked the master clutch cylinder for fluid and it had changed from clear to a very dark silvery color .. Not sure why it changed color and there is no leaks.

I flushed the line with new dot 3 fluid. After four days sitting in my shop the fluid is changing color again.

What's going on? Do I need to replace master cylinder and slave again?

Do I need to drop the transmission and replace the clutch?

Plus what brand parts do you like. Perhaps I purchased cheep.
    Master and slave purchase from napa. Clutch line extension from 949 racing.

Any help trouble shooting this thing would be appreciated

Thanks !

Chassis Designer

Don't replace the clutch if the slave isn't showing adequate travel. That's an issue apart from the clutch.
    You might get more travel by extending the adjuster rod at the pedal.

When I was dealing with a slave that would not travel enough, I extended the adjuster rod at the pedal but that still was not enough to get full clutch disengagement and I hacked a solution by putting a big headed roof tack in the clutch lever cup so that there was earlier engagement of the slave rod. These steps only gave me a touch more clutch disengagement. The problem was in the master. It was not pushing enough fluid in its travel.
    The hacks worked until I was able to get the master and slave replaced. I shortend back the pedal adjuster rod with all the new travel and all was good.

Look over everything for issues, and consider doing another round of bleeding the fluid. Since you have flex line, pull it out and give it a proper bleed.

Jay Johnson

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

The color change seems normal to me. Mine changed to a dark color pretty fast, also. I change and flush the brake fluid every 6 to 12 months, but I only change the clutch fluid that is in the reservoir and don't do a real flush.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

New-tral

Upon further investigation, I found when the clutch pedal is fully held down,,the clutch is re-engaged. That's right...after just a second or two ,,while holding the clutch down... it releases. So.. I figured from finding no leaks at the clutch master or slave cylinder that it must be an internal problem with the master. So I took back the master and slave to Autozone and had them replaced for free...

I have just installed and will see how she drives over the next few days.

thanks for your help!!

It works fine now... wasn't expecting the master clutch cylinder to fail so soon. I replace both the master and slave along with removing some clutch peddle play and bingo bango she working fine again..
    thanks for your help!!