Thread: Soon to be FS: 1996 Montego NA

Default Soon to be FS: 1996 Montego NA

Think I'm about to be selling my 1996 Montego Blue NA. Base car with manual windows, PS, cloth interior, excellent R-pack conversion candidate. Absolutely rust and serious accident-free. Top was replaced 14 months ago by dealer with oem Mazda top, black, correct zipper window 96 top. Perfect install, new rain rail, tension cables, etc. Brand new Bosch AGM battery, new Alpine CD/Bluetooth w/ handsfree mic, pandora, etc stereo. Car is really in outstanding condition. Paint on the hood and trunk has some clear coat hazing/peeling, but is still very fixable by a good painter like Rogue. He looked at it and said it could be done reasonably with some blending. There are a few dents - drivers door and RR fender, but they are not creased badly and can be PDR'd. I'm looking into having them done, but would prefer to sell the car with a price adjustment. The blemishes blend in and don't stand out. The rest of the paint is in excellent condition and is a pretty stunning color in sunlight.

The car is mechanically tip-top. TB/WP and all front seals/gaskets were just replaced last month with the TDR kit and Mazda oem seals. Fresh plugs, wires, full-synth fluids, brakes serviced/lubed/cleaned, clutch and brake lines bleed and fresh Motul 600 done last week. AC, radiator, fans, PS, belts, etc all in excellent working order. Custom alignment with great handing characteristics just done. Agressive, but not so much that it kills tires, very streetable.

This is the higher-compression 1.8 used in 96-97, and runs very strong. Good compression numbers, no oil-burning/smoke/HLA noises. I've autox'd it once and a few sessions with the instructor group at ECR last week and it held its own admirably.

I have all the oem exhaust components and other parts in great condition, as this car was totally unmolested when I bought it from the 2nd owner. She was the only driver since 1999 and 20k miles. Car includes oem steelies with Michelin all-seasons or 14x6 NB wheels with matched Falken 512 A/S tires, your choice.

Can also discuss selling the car with some bolt-on go fast bits (header, exhaust, MSPNP, roll bar, black leather seats, NB Nardi wheel, door bars, FCM Biltsteins, Wilwood BBK, ACT Stage 1 clutch w/ aluminum flywheel (<500 miles), Ron Davis aluminum radiator w/ silicon hoses, track pads/rotors, OEM JDM 99-00 Yellow shock tower brace, NB top hats, Corbeau FXpro seat, and quite a few other items, most of which were never installed on this car. Additionally, have complete NB Torsen rear end and 15x8 Koenig race wheels w/225 RS3's that could be included.

I'll be looking for $4000 for the car in oem trim, or we can discuss price with your choice of add-ons. Willing to configure this car to your taste/needs. Whether its classic NA daily driver, weekend toy, cheap autox ringer or track toy, this car is a terrific starting point, and I can build it to your needs if you so desire.

None of the extra items will be available until after the car is sold or I decide to list them for sale separately, so please don't ask...yet. Car will be at the PCA autox at Pennington Field on Sunday if you want to test drive/tire kick.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

How many miles does it have now?
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Man, I was looking forward to a great battle in class 1 this season. GLWS!

What rates are the FCM Bilsteins valved for?
    Now Miata-less. '05 STR S2000.
    Texas A&M Grassroots and Formula SAE Driver

Still in class 1, we will still battle. FCM's are 700/450.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 02-27-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Chassis Designer

Man, I was building a cheap Mike-Killer Miata to have some fun in class 1 and you're selling your car.

I know you're still in class 1 but we can't use same excuses anymore. Either way, GLWS. It sure is a very clean and well maintained car.

Excuses? The Mini is slower than a Miata in autox, and has less HP than your NB too. If anything, you should be happy about it. The NA isn't gone just yet, and I haven't completely committed to making the leap to FWD, so fret not. There will probably be some goodies available that you would like if I do.
    Polished Turd Racing

Let me know what roll bar you have and how much if you want to part with it OZMDD.

Update: car is officially on the market. If you are interested with the current minor mods(exhaust, header, nb wheel), wheels/tires and roll bar, let me know before I pull the parts and put it back to stock next weekend.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by whoswatchingme View Post
    Let me know what roll bar you have and how much if you want to part with it OZMDD.
    It is a Hard Dog Hard Bar. Not what most people look for, but fine for my needs. Plenty of pictures out there to suggest that they are plenty strong for street and HPDE needs. Much less cumbersome, and has SFI padding on it.
    Polished Turd Racing