Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Autocross 5-15-05 - TMS infield road course

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I did rotate the vehicle
    Understatement much?

Speaking of dominated...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yes this was a great event. Probably the best track yet, well between the last mineral wells event.

I actually managed to plow the same 3 damn cones on all 5 runs (including 1 rerun). This is quite an accomplishment if you ask me

Oh yea, much thanks Sammm for helping me keep the oil in the engine...
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    ]... same 3 damn cones on all 5 runs (including 1 rerun). This is quite an accomplishment if you ask me ...
    Where's that Holly's Miata license plate frame when we need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Oh yea, much thanks Sammm for helping me keep the oil in the engine...
    :eek:
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Cars went zoom-zoom. Miatas won lots of trophies. Someone punted the timing lights. I hit more cones on my first run that I've hit in the last 2 year's worth of SCCA events.
    I feel your pain. My first run?

+9!!!

<--- One bad cone-smackin' mofo!

I think I might win an award for that spectacular performance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteMR2

+9!!!

You got an award :) You didn't stick around for a 3rd place trophy. Good runs btw :)

-Brad

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteMR2

+9!!!

I think I chsed down three of those myself.

Man, I've never seen so many cone calls. I hit seven myself over a total of five runs, which is probably more than I've hit in a season. I worked fourth heat, and I swear I chased at least one cone for every two cars that came by.

lugnutjon had two DNFs, and ended up fourth in CS. General Default came from behind to take the win in CS with a blistering 56.5xx run. I managed to stay ahead of Kestrel with a 56.945 and secure a second place finish. I think the in-class lead actually changed after every set of runs today - we had a nice little battle going on.

mark52 and majik had a great battle going in CSP, and I think we've hooked another monkey on the R compound go-fast crack pipe - the grin on majik's face after his first couple of runs was priceless.

Great event - fun, challenging and technical course, and we managed to get four runs in and be all wrapped up by 4:30pm or so. Three cheers for Ozcop for a job well done!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I don't understand the problem with the cones. My first run was clean On my second run, I hit a cone with all 4 corners of the car Third and fourth runs netted one each

It was a great course, but like all AX courses, IF I'd had 9 more runs, I would have figured it out. Congrats to TC for an excellent 1st in Tires - raw time 4 seconds faster than the 1st loser
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Hats off to Ozcop and his gang for putting on a great event. Man, I knew that they were getting serious when I was handed that index card with all my info on it! Also, hats off to the guys in the trailer on Heat 1. As starter, I've never heard so many cone calls-one after another, constant- and those guys took it all in stride without a hitch. At one point I walked over to the trailer to ask if they wanted me to space the starts farther apart, and they said "No, keep 'em comin'." Great event, difficult and fast course, good competition. REMEMBER, MAJIK, BRAKE HARD, BRAKE EARLY, AND USE YOUR BODY WEIGHT TO STEER, NOT THE STEERING WHEEL!
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Hats off, too, to the corner workers in Heat 2... I was in the trailer on control and was constantly amazed by how well the workers were replacing cones. I was lucky to have an attentive starter that was watching the workers before starting cars and we had very few re-runs in 2nd heat - although at least 3 would be re-runs were nixed by DNF's - so thanks to some of the drivers in 2nd heat, too!

I've got a blister on my thumb from keying the radio, though...

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    I don't understand the problem with the cones. My first run was clean On my second run, I hit a cone with all 4 corners of the car Third and fourth runs netted one each

It was a great course, but like all AX courses, IF I'd had 9 more runs, I would have figured it out. Congrats to TC for an excellent 1st in Tires - raw time 4 seconds faster than the 1st loser
    I think I hit more cones yesterday than I did all last season... Still not 9 but I did get 7.. (4 one run, 3 another)

I must say.. I was throughly impressed with the way the event ran. *VERY* well organized, and cleanly executed. I didn't even have to stand in a long registration line AND I got all 4 runs! Even running the last heat I was still home by about 4:30..

What were you guys running for raw times? I am curious how many of you I *still* got spanked by even running a turbo and R-comp tires... I think my fastest *clean* run was 58.8ish?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Well my girl and i got to come out for a little bit. Thank you Kestrel, i would never have found it if you had not of guided us in. I met most everyone out there(with miata's) and hopefully the bug is slowly biting my girl. Watching yall run made me wish i was out there. Hopefully by at least the end of the season i will get her to let me compete a time or two. And maybe next tiem i will have the guts to ask for a ride along. I tried to get my girl to go for one, but she says my driving is scary enough and you miata guys might make her **** herself.
    congratulations to all the winners.

Thumbs up

Well, you've read it all already, but this was an awesome SCCA event!* The course was fast, fun, safe, and challenging. The PA system and "broadcast over the car radio" thingy worked extremely well. The weather was very good. The competition was fierce. And we were rolling outta there with trophies in hand before 5:00pm. What more could you ask for?

Heat 1 and heat 2 have been discussed, so I'll give my perspective on Heat 4. I worked as the announcer in Heat 4, with General Default in charge at Control. We had serious computer issues that prevented the computer from picking up times from the timing equipment (the timing equipment was OK). But this computer issue did not turn into an EVENT issue, mainly because of the heroic efforts of Phil A. The General, our Timer, and I worked together to make sure times and penalties were captured correctly on paper. Then we handed the sheets to Phil A. and Thad B. who manually typed the times/penalties into the computer. So what? If they hadn't done that -- right then and there -- we would not have been able to collect trophies. But due to their efforts, OzCop was able to hand out trophies 30 to 45 minutes after the last car finished! :cool:

Oz, I know you won't accept credit for an exceptional event -- you'll say it was everyone else that did the job. And you are right to some degree. It took a lot of effort by everyone there (including some great course work by all us "grunts") to make this event such a success. But leadership flows from the top, and you are doing an amazing job getting that talented and dedicated -- but sometimes contentious and disjointed -- SCCA Board to work together. And we are all benefiting from your leadership!

All Hail OzCop!

---------------------------

* After last year's... challenges... at SCCA events, I bet you never thought you'd read the words "awesome" and "SCCA event" together in the same sentence! For those of you not coming to SCCA events due to past experiences (I was going to boycott SCCA events until OzCop took the reins), you are missing some great events. These folks are doing an exceptional job, and I'd encourage you to give SCCA another try!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    Well my girl and i got to come out for a little bit...<snip>...maybe next tiem i will have the guts to ask for a ride along.
    Hey dying, it was great to meet you and M. I'm glad you could come out, meet the gang and see what autocross is all about.

I had already finished my runs before you two came out, but if you are looking to take a ride, I'd encourage you and M to come out to next weeks ER Event at Pennington Field. I'm sure folks will be happy to take you for a ride, and perhaps that will get M more interested in giving it a try herself.

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    What were you guys running for raw times? I am curious how many of you I *still* got spanked by even running a turbo and R-comp tires... I think my fastest *clean* run was 58.8ish?
    57.579 in CS. Spank! But not by much...

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    A clean 56.945 was my best time of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Heat 1 and heat 2 have been discussed, so I'll give my perspective on Heat 4. I worked as the announcer in Heat 4, with General Default in charge at Control. We had serious computer issues that prevented the computer from picking up times from the timing equipment (the timing equipment was OK). But this computer issue did not turn into an EVENT issue, mainly because of the heroic efforts of Phil A. The General, our Timer, and I worked together to make sure times and penalties were captured correctly on paper. Then we handed the sheets to Phil A. and Thad B. who manually typed the times/penalties into the computer. So what? If they hadn't done that -- right then and there -- we would not have been able to collect trophies. But due to their efforts, OzCop was able to hand out trophies 30 to 45 minutes after the last car finished! :cool:

Oz, I know you won't accept credit for an exceptional event -- you'll say it was everyone else that did the job. And you are right to some degree. It took a lot of effort by everyone there (including some great course work by all us "grunts") to make this event such a success. But leadership flows from the top, and you are doing an amazing job getting that talented and dedicated -- but sometimes contentious and disjointed -- SCCA Board to work together. And we are all benefiting from your leadership!
    What Kestrel said. If it weren't for effective leadership and the great performances by the timing and scoring staff in the trailer each heat, this event could have been a total disaster. My hat is off to all of the people who helped make this event flow as well as it did - I was standing near Kurt Janish with the radio in Corner 5 in Heat 4 (when I wasn't chasing cones ), and I could hear the almost constant flow of cone calls to the trailer. You guys did a hell of a job keeping things moving.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Well, you've read it all already, but this was an awesome SCCA event!* The course was fast, fun, safe, and challenging. The PA system and "broadcast over the car radio" thingy worked extremely well. The weather was very good. The competition was fierce. And we were rolling outta there with trophies in hand before 5:00pm. What more could you ask for?

All Hail OzCop!

---------------------------

* After last year's... challenges... at SCCA events, I bet you never thought you'd read the words "awesome" and "SCCA event" together in the same sentence! For those of you not coming to SCCA events due to past experiences (I was going to boycott SCCA events until OzCop took the reins), you are missing some great events. These folks are doing an exceptional job, and I'd encourage you to give SCCA another try!

Wow, I couls not have said it better myself. Ofcourse not often can you say things better than kestrel but still it was a fantastic event. All the events truth be told have been great this year, and the people in charge need to know that their efforts have made a huge difference in the events. I am just glad I dont work Sundays anymore.

That is running the event. As for my driving that was the worst event Ive probably ever had. Not a single clean run, I think I might have had more cones today than Onething had at the one TMS event on the front parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Of course not often can you say things better than kestrel...
    Ehhh... you are confusing longer with better (i.e., "Of course not often can you say things more long-windedly than Kestrel").

I think I might have had more cones today than Onething had at the one TMS event on the front parking lot.
    Nah, Onething had something like 17 cones on that one run, a record that will be very hard to beat!

Hey... don't shortchange him... That was like 17 cones on one corner!!!

Wow, I could not have said it better myself.
    I could have said it better I just didn't want 2!

It was a great smooth running event! Really was a ton of cone calls my knees hurt bad this morning, I can defiantly tell that this fat guy ran a little yesterday!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast