Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: SCCA Autocross 5-15-05 - TMS infield road course

Aside from some wicked allergies, I had alot of fun yesterday. I managed to not pull one clean run out because I never really figured out one section of track. The miata is still a little faster than me, Im not used to driving a car that actually turns when I turn the wheel. Thanks again to onething for letting me drive his car.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

"That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

ich habe eine frage?
    i have a question?
    in reference to the black corvette,SS2 i beleive.
    What is up with the blue tape all over it and the foil blankets for the wheels?

Tape protects the paint from stones flung by very sticky tires. The foil keeps some heat in the tires while the car isnt running. Sort of like tire warmers for F1, but those are illegal at an AutoX.

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    ich habe eine frage?
    i have a question?
    Blue tape is for s trying to protect their paint on a track car.

The foil blankets are to help race tires retain their heat between runs. Why he was using them yesterday is anyone's guess. The newer autocross compounds don't need that much heat to work well as it is, and yesterday it certainly wasn't cold enough - nor was there enough time between runs - for heat loss to be an issue.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Blue tape is for s trying to protect their paint on a track car.

The foil blankets are to help race tires retain their heat between runs. Why he was using them yesterday is anyone's guess. The newer autocross compounds don't need that much heat to work well as it is, and yesterday it certainly wasn't cold enough - nor was there enough time between runs - for heat loss to be an issue.
    I was thinking the same thing. My tires were getting hot and a little slick. I did see some people even using water on 710s.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

17 cones in one string, after the finish,

and your mommas all wear army boots
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

This event was the most fun I have had autocrossing. I am starting to get the hang of the Miata.

1st run: Got my first re-run in 2 years of autoxing...2nd run:Spun out on the backstretch right into the grass (heel and toe did not function right)...felt good to finally rotate the car, just a little scary going off the track though. 3rd run: My best of the day. I don't know how, but I managed not to hit any cones all day.

So how many people were in Tire class anyway? I had know idea I was in 4th place I guess I should have stuck around afterwards..
    No more Miata

Thanks guys, it WAS a great event, in spite of the cone carnage. This was a much more technical course than the last two events there, and when you got it right, the fun factor doubled. I had two clean runs, 2 and 3. First and fourth were killers!
    Hopefully, the bus lot event on June 19 will run just as well. We are looking into the problems encountered in the trailer with the computers, and Phil A. and the trailer crew in heat 3 and 4 did a fantastic job of keeping the event running, and not allowing the computer to run the event...
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Results, yo!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by dyingbreed
    ich habe eine frage?
    i have a question?
    Nein du hast zwei Fragen gehabt, und ich habe zwei Antworten!

Like others have said, the blue tape is to protect the paint from flying rocks... this is particularly of interest to folks out at Mineral Wells.

The foil blankets are tire warmers (more accurately, tire not-cooler-downers, as they don't really warm the tires, rather they help hold in what heat is already in the tire), and they were pretty unnecessary yesterday. Majik, are you sure they are illegal for autocross/Solo II? I've seen them enough times at Texas Region SCCA events that I'd have to believe someone would have protested...

Blankets are legal, tire warmers are not whether fueled by electricity, propane or diatium.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Blankets are legal, tire warmers are not whether fueled by electricity, propane or diatium.
    Thats what I was trying to say.

thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Nein du hast zwei Fragen gehabt, und ich habe zwei Antworten!
    Translated...No you had two questions, and I have two answers!

Schließen Sie auf! Die Antwort ist Lächerlich.
    Translated...Unlock! The answer is ridiculous.

I think my babelfish decoder needs to be replaced. Besides I look silly with a yellow fish in my ear. Yea, I am so old I remember when the the Hitch Hikers Guide was new the first time.

Think I know why Tailchasers car number is "42"

Quote Originally Posted by general default
    Translated...No you had two questions, and I have two answers!

I think my babelfish decoder needs to be replaced.
    Nope, your babelfish worked fine on my German. dying originally posted -- in German -- "Ich habe eine Frage" which means "I have a question". I simply corrected him -- in German -- saying that he actually had two questions (about blue tape AND "wheel blankets"), and added that I had two answers.

Now, I can't comment on the translation on 3Bean's sentence, as I must admit to being unfamiliar with the phrase "Schließen Sie auf!". The rest of his sentence means pretty much what babelguppy said: "The answer is ridiculous" (or more directly "laughable").

Dieses Gewinde ist getrieben.

Thanks Kestrel

all right, i guess i just need to stick with English from now on. Sorry i caused the the thread to get jacked. need to go study up on my Deustch.
    Auf Wiedersen(yes i know i butchered the spelling)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast