Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year old FM Stage 2 suspension kit

Default *update* Used FM stage 1, new questions...

Is is worth buying?? I am broke & this is cheap, what do you think. I am in desparate need of new shocks, & while im at it I want some FM springs. Eventually I want sway bars maybee(havent really researched them yet), so this seems like a good deal, but my only concern is the shocks being a year old.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 05-04-2005 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Is is worth buying?? I am broke & this is cheap, what do you think. I am in desparate need of new shocks, & while im at it I want some FM springs. Eventually I want sway bars maybee(havent really researched them yet), so this seems like a good deal, but my only concern is the shocks being a year old.
    Well.... you road in a car with 2 year old FM Stage 2 suspension a few days ago... Is that the feel you are looking for?

How cheap is cheap? If it's near the cost of replacing the individuals with new then, IMHO, I would say bad deal... but if it's a spanking price on the whole shabang, then go for it! I can't imagine too much damage on year old shocks unless they were doing great impressions of the Dukes of Hazzard.

$450 cheap. Im not sure the mileage on the set though.

Another thing is for autocross I dont want to throw a bunch of crap on at once & not learn to controll what I have, but I guess I could wait awhile before installing the sway bars, or sell them.

I am read some stuff on the board about the FM sway bars breaking mounting points on cars that are autocrossed frequently. Thats not good, I dont want to have to go through all the trouble with getting new endlinks & bracing right now.

Has anyone here autocrossed heavily on FM sways with no trouble??

I am read some stuff on the board about the FM sway bars breaking mounting points on cars that are autocrossed frequently. Thats not good, I dont want to have to go through all the trouble with getting new endlinks & bracing right now.

The POS has run for 3 years with a upgraded front bar, I forget who's it was...

I think the breakage issue is more common on the more feminine and dainty NB series!

My current car has FM Sways, but I've only got a couple of Auto X's in on this car so far. Keep in mind, your only as strong as your weakest link.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    The POS has run for 3 years with a upgraded front bar, I forget who's it was...
    It's an FM. http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...0%20%201990-93

$450 cheap. Im not sure the mileage on the set though.

Another thing is for autocross I dont want to throw a bunch of crap on at once & not learn to controll what I have, but I guess I could wait awhile before installing the sway bars, or sell them.
    The FM stage 2 kit is only $771 new. I'd want to pay less than 50% of that price for a 2-year old set. Offer him $350-400 and see if he bites.
    Last edited by altiain; 04-29-2005 at 09:32 PM.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

FM front sway here - two & a half seasons and I tore the mounts completely through on one side. lugnutjon did the same thing, but a season sooner. However, both of us are running very sticky rubber, and we both tend to drive very aggressively on course.

Chances are with a bigger front bar and sticky rubber you'll end up tearing the front mounts sooner or later (although it seems to happen to the NBs more often). Fixing it can range from cheap ($50 at you local welding shop to reweld it) to not so cheap (a set of Mazdacomp heavy duty mounts for ~$175).

lugnutjon had his rewelded almost two years ago, and they seem to be holding up fine. I went with the Mazdacomp mounts, and they're beefy enough that I think the frame would crack before these break.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    FM front sway here - two & a half seasons and I tore the mounts completely through on one side. lugnutjon did the same thing, but a season sooner. However, both of us are running very sticky rubber, and we both tend to drive very aggressively on course.

Chances are with a bigger front bar and sticky rubber you'll end up tearing the front mounts sooner or later (although it seems to happen to the NBs more often). Fixing it can range from cheap ($50 at you local welding shop to reweld it) to not so cheap (a set of Mazdacomp heavy duty mounts for ~$175).

lugnutjon had his rewelded almost two years ago, and they seem to be holding up fine. I went with the Mazdacomp mounts, and they're beefy enough that I think the frame would crack before these break.
    Yea and we know who's faster
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    Yea and we know who's faster
    Hey! so far this season, I'm 2 for 4 against lugnutjon.

Now if I could just start doing better before the RapidePAX runs...
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    So did you get the set yet???
    Nope, the guy never responded, I sent him 2 messages, at least he could have had the courtesy of letting me know they were sold or whatever the hell was going on :mad:

Somebody posted a set of springs yesterday for $150, email him today, theyre already freaking sold...damn!

Any more of this crap & ill have to break down & get the new set...nooo, I have to fight it, I am a cheap bastard afterall...

If anybody knows of any FM springs for less than $180, let me know, ill will buy them.

While im at it... anyone have any suggestions to a CB alternative?? I read the FM springs have the highest spring rate that is still bearable on the street, thats why im stalking them, but if theres a comparable alternative that I missed, I might consider it.

While im at it... anyone have any suggestions to a CB alternative?? I read the FM springs have the highest spring rate that is still bearable on the street, thats why im stalking them, but if theres a comparable alternative that I missed, I might consider it.
    Don't cheap out on this one... If you really want to replace your springs, get the Eibachs or the FMs that are stiff enough to do the job. The Racing Beat and Tein alternatives that are cheaper just aren't stiff enough and you leave only your bumpstops to do all the work.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Don't cheap out on this one... If you really want to replace your springs, get the Eibachs or the FMs that are stiff enough to do the job. The Racing Beat and Tein alternatives that are cheaper just aren't stiff enough and you leave only your bumpstops to do all the work.
    Thats what I was thinking, ok, ill wait out the FM's. You run them in your car correct?

Thats what I was thinking, ok, ill wait out the FM's. You run them in your car correct?
    Yup. Also bear in mind that with the reduced "stock" rear suspension travel in the M1's, you should consider the need for the mounts sold by FM...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Hmmm...crap, can these be installed separatly from shocks/springs(or would it be practical)? This shock / spring install is getting more expensive every day, I already have to pay $100+ extra for just the damn bumpstops...

Hmmm...crap, can these be installed separatly from shocks/springs(or would it be practical)?
    They can... but you'll be repeating the same damned steps to get those in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast