Thread: New 91 Miata owner

Default New 91 Miata owner

Handed down the Protégé to my 16 year old and finally bought a car I've always wanted. I drove a Miata 20 years ago and never forgot about it. Wife thinks I'm suffering a mid-life crisis. If this is a crisis then it sure is a fun one. A blast to drive - I feel like a bug on the road.

It's got 140K; squeaks and creaks a bit, small oil leak near the front (not from the front crank seal or cam seals) but I got it for next to nothing and it looked like something I could possibly bring back to life over time.

It's now my daily driver so any recommendations on what to fix up first? I've already changed out the diff, trans fluid and replaced the sparkplugs, shift turret boots and packing. Timing belt change mileage and date appears to be written on the cover so I'm good there for now. Was thinking about a new clutch with a lighter flywheel or a new suspension package from Flyin Miata - something I can learn to tackle myself over a weekend. Once I get under it I can start looking for that leak.

Cheers!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Welcome, have fun with your Miata.

Have you checked the brake pads? Another good fluid change is the brake fluid.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I'd do filters (air and fuel), PCV, new plug wires, check the timing with a good timing light, and clean the air meter too with electric contact cleaner. I'd also find the oil leak and fix it. Then if you like the stock suspension check all the bushings and replace the bad ones, look at good shocks after that. A Miata is an easy to maintain and drive for a long time. They are very durable. I'd also check the rain rail drain tubes and make sure they are not clogged.
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Welcome aboard! As for the small oil leak, do a search on 'CAS O-ring'.

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    (not from the front crank seal or cam seals)
    Cheers!
    How do you know, since you can't see them?…..not much else to leak oil up front.
    Is the belly pan missing?
    Check the rack boots, they will leak oil.

Go check out NTAXS
    http://www.ntaxs.com
    Lots of flavors of Miatae and (mostly) good folk.

Welcome!

Thanks everyone for the welcome and advise.

The belly pan is long gone so I was able to reach up and feel around the crank pulley and it was dry. Felt around under the CAS and it was a little wet; I have a new Viton o-ring but I'm waiting for the valve cover gasket to arrive. Guess I should remove the timing belt cover when I get there and inspect the seals.

By "good timing light", can't I just get something off of Ebay?

Just borrow a decent one. I have one you can use here or at Keller's. Get a belly pan at Miata technologies Sunday sale. You really need to pull the covers to know what is/isn't leaking. Its virtually guaranteed that your rear main seal, cas and valve cover are leaking unless replaced properly in the last couple years. Also, you'll want to plan to replace the heater hoses behind the head.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Thanks everyone for the greetings and advise!