Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Header on the way

Hmmm... Break in? No baffles or such in a header, so not long at all. I did have to heat cycle the cat twice to get the bolts tight enough it didn't leak a bit. Other than that, I don't think there's a break-in period.

The JR headers are on sale about 2 months out of 3 for $429. It's already ceramic coated and it weighs less than the RB. The performance gains of the RB are small, and you can't bolt a supercharger on top of it.

And with the new shiny ceramic coating on the JR... it even looks as good or better than the RB. Sweeeet!
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I have had my header for over a year, and I havent had any melting issues. I have wanted to get a TrackDog shield but I keep draggin my feet. Maybe Gary would loan me one and let me see how effective it really is!!

A late train is delaying my Header, I may or may not get it today now.
    they are saying either today or Monday, there goes my weekend plans.
    Its in Mesquite, maybe I will see if I can drive out there and get it...lol
    99 Miata Black

Screwed by UPS, the header sat in Mesquite from 6:15 in the morning (frifay til when ever they decide to bring it to me Monday.
    They refused to let me come pick it up.
    I hate UPS...great customer service eh.
    99 Miata Black

I used to work for UPS, it's hard to manage all those packages.

The hub in Mesquite isn't open to customers, it's employees only unless UPS couldn't deliver over 3 times, then you get to come up and pick it up. Your package is probably in queue-up line for the truck to deliver to your route, and it's hard to single out packages until they get separated into the place they need to get to.
    Last edited by redbullforbreakfast; 05-07-2005 at 01:01 PM.
    '99 Triple Black

DARN....Will that UPS Truck ever get here??????

Last edited by riverracer; 05-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

From here on out I am going to arrange privately for DHL to pick my shipments up from vendors that only use UPS, let the boycot begin.
    The fact of the matter is they are under contractual obligation to deliver the packages even if late, if I went to pick it up that would mean they have breached the contract and therefore might not get paid, even though I just wanted my order and would not have done that,...they still wouldnt allow it.
    I will not use them again.

I will post the pics when it does finally get here and after I instal it.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    From here on out I am going to arrange privately for DHL to pick my shipments up from vendors that only use UPS, let the boycot begin.
    The fact of the matter is they are under contractual obligation to deliver the packages even if late, if I went to pick it up that would mean they have breached the contract and therefore might not get paid, even though I just wanted my order and would not have done that,...they still wouldnt allow it.
    I will not use them again.

I will post the pics when it does finally get here and after I instal it.
    I feel your pain, I really do. You could always use USPS, then you wouldn't know where in transit its at, nor have any clue as to when they might decide to deliver it. Or use Fed Ex, those guys won't leave anything with my neighbors and have sent packages back to the vendor; after only one attempt to deliver (They said they attempted three times, but only left one notice )
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I feel your pain, I really do. You could always use USPS, then you wouldn't know where in transit its at, nor have any clue as to when they might decide to deliver it. Or use Fed Ex, those guys won't leave anything with my neighbors and have sent packages back to the vendor; after only one attempt to deliver (They said they attempted three times, but only left one notice )
    Well put. Of the three main alternatives (USPS, UPS, FedEx), I'll choose UPS every time. My local Brown Santa knows exactly where to leave my packages (FedEx apparently expects me to take the entire day off and wait for them), and they update their online tracking info quickly and regularly (unlike USPS, who apparently update their online tracking info randomly when they bother to update it at all).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

While I do agree with altiain and TurboDuane, lets not forget one of own is actually an employee for Fed Ex. He should be chiming in at any time!

Oh by the way I got to see the JR header today bolted in Tailchaser car that is one good looking header! You got any pictures yet TC!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    You got any pictures yet TC!
    How many time are you gonna ask?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing in another thread
    You got any pictures yet TC!
    Geez!!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    How many time are you gonna ask?

Geez!!
    How about now TC?

Header update,
    I got the Header in late yesterday, Majik came over and helped me a whole lot with the install, however we ran into a problem getting the EGR tube reattached to the new Header,...the car is down right now til Majik comes back out tomorrow with a 10mm box wrench, we are going to try and take off the EGR tube from the cold side and manipulate the thing on that way.
    The Header looks fantastic and was packaged very well.
    I am happy thus far with the packaging, quality and looks of the product and customer support from Racing beat..even though it took 11 days to get it.
    Does anyone have any suggestions or hints to get that EGR tube back on?
    It seems to want to cross thread when I am trying to screw it back into the new header.
    Everything else went suprisingly smoothe and quick til the snag we ran into.
    Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
    Billy.
    And thank you so very much Majik for your help man I appreciate it more than you know, I owe you one a big one,,...just say the word and I will try my best to repay the favor int the future.
    Billy
    99 Miata Black

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Does anyone have any suggestions or hints to get that EGR tube back on?
    What you're going to try next. Disco- the other end of the EGR and put the header end in first. That's how we did Majik's during his head swap and it made short work of it.

I concure on the EGR pipe. Man, are you in for some serious heat in the engine compartment! Stainless looks good for about an hour.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Lol about an hour huh.
    Man,...
    Well I guess I will look into getting a head shield.
    99 Miata Black

I finished the job and am about to go test drive the car.
    I found an old very flat 10 mm box wrench from an old motorcycle I used to own.
    It was a real PITA but I did it, with a lot of help from Majik.
    I will post my findings and a pic or two.
    Billy
    99 Miata Black

I finished the job and am about to go test drive the car.
    I found an old very flat 10 mm box wrench from an old motorcycle I used to own.
    It was a real PITA but I did it, with a lot of help from Majik.
    I will post my findings and a pic or two.
    Billy

OK, 2 questions ...

How was the test drive?

PICTURES????

Well 1st off, the car is NOT as loud as it was before...I dont know if there is a break in period but I will be a little disapointed if it does not at least go back to the deep rumble it had before.
    2nd I can't tell that much of a change if any.
    3rd the engine compartment is hot as Hell, but I knew that was going to happen and have already decided to get a heat shield at some point.
    4th, as stated above the header has already lost its beautiful chrome look and is now a golden color.
    5th I will try and get a couple of pics up tonight of the Header before the color change and after it was installed in the car.
    I wonder if the midpipe will help it somewhat,..its the only link in the chain that is still 2.25in , in diameter,...the rest is 2.5.
    Also my intake is right over the Header, I am thinking of pulling a Majik trick and moving it to the cold side, using his design.
    The silver lining is that I am learning more about what my car does and how to work on it, that is always kewl...and even though I may cuss a lot while I am working on it, it's always nice to have that feeling that I learned something and did it on my own rather than pay $60. per hour for labor.
    So I guess I am undecided on whether I am happy with the performance portion of the whole deal til I get the midpipe on.
    pics later tonight.
    Thanks for asking about it.
    99 Miata Black

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast