Thread: Anyone here running a light flywheel?

Default Anyone here running a light flywheel?

Is anyone on the board running a light flywheel? If so what are your impressions? Ebay has a Firdenza for $359 shipped..... considering it will cost 40-50 to resurface mine.....

Chris

I know Altiain had one in his '99 but he took it out.

I think Majik may have just got one but I don't think he installed it yet.

I've got one on my other car and it was definitely a noticable difference. The downside is the flywheel chatter that you get. Mine's pretty noisy when the car heats up and very noisy when the AC is on.

This of course is not on a Miata though. I'm not sure what the difference in weight is but in the BMW it was a change from 35# to 11#. Huge difference.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I have one in my car, but I have yet to experience any chatter or strange noises. I was very gentle on the clutch during the breakin period, however.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    I know Altiain had one in his '99 but he took it out.

I think Majik may have just got one but I don't think he installed it yet.
    Yep mine is sitting in the garage waiting right now.

Didn't Monkey get his stock one down to like 11 lbs on a CNC machine?
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I would think your money might be better spent on stronger rods.

And a few quarts of oil.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Chris,

Exactly what Todd said, use that money on the rods. Period. End of story.

As for resurfacing your flywheel, not necessary unless you had vibration or heat issues. The little hot spots you see on them is normal. I would suggest you clean it up good, make sure there is no oil contamination and give it a roughing up with sand paper like you would a brake rotor.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Quote Originally Posted by shuhart1
    As for resurfacing your flywheel, not necessary unless you had vibration or heat issues. The little hot spots you see on them is normal. I would suggest you clean it up good, make sure there is no oil contamination and give it a roughing up with sand paper like you would a brake rotor.

Gary
    There are documented Miata clutch replacements done by 2 different Miata shops that both just scuffed up the flywheel without removing it from the engine. The first was in Miata Magazine, with the work performed by Brainstorm in LA. I am sure I could dig up the Magazine if I had time. The second was on Tuner Trasformations and the work was done by that Clown guy. With that said, the Crazy Red Italian sent my flywheel out when he installed my ACT.

I had one in my car at one point, and I wasn't impressed. It seemed to spin the motor up slightly faster, but doing before & after acceleration runs against lugnutjon's car didn't show any difference.

It might make a little more difference on a turbo car in spool-up time, but if it were me I'd save your money.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Screamin'Screw
    And a few quarts of oil.
    ouch!

I opted to not do a flywheel when I did my clutch, and I'm of the opinion that you can spend your money better.

I too have heard the same thing. However, with the job being such a pain in the rear to do, personally I would have it machined. $.02
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Chris you're welcome to drive my car and see what you think. If I had it to do over, I think I'd keep the stock one. It's easy to get used to but it's noticable and it's easier to upset the balance of things at lower RPM's.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I had one in my car at one point, and I wasn't impressed. It seemed to spin the motor up slightly faster, but doing before & after acceleration runs against lugnutjon's car didn't show any difference.

It might make a little more difference on a turbo car in spool-up time, but if it were me I'd save your money.
    You should drive my car, 7lb flywheel and the relatively light 1.6 clutch. It's noticeable. My car is much faster 1-3 than it ever was. My 94 was the same way too, but I'm afraid it's been inoperable for a few yrs.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge