Thread: If you have Amazon Prime you might want this for $19!

Default If you have Amazon Prime you might want this for $19!

1995 M Edition

Ordered one! Thanks wrx74!

Just ordered one as well. Interesting that it's supposed to be released on 11/19 and my expected delivery date is 1/9/15. Seriously? Good thing I got's the free Prime 2 day shipping

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    Just ordered one as well. Interesting that it's supposed to be released on 11/19 and my expected delivery date is 1/9/15. Seriously? Good thing I got's the free Prime 2 day shipping
    Yeah... I guess demand must be pretty high. I ordered yesterday afternoon and got an estimated delivery date of 1/5.

I knew I should have ordered it last night! It's back to $39...
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Interesting, I'll need to see how it compares to the ChromeCast.

C

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    I knew I should have ordered it last night! It's back to $39...
    No worries. By the time it's delivered it will be obsolete, and the newer one will likely be cheaper!

A week and a half late and twenty dollars short.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Anyone using it yet? Is it worth my coins?
    Gabriel

How it compares to the Chromecast?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Anyone using it yet? Is it worth my coins?
    I'll let you know once it gets here... in 2 months.

My 1/5 delivery date kept changing, and it arrived today. Initial reactions:

Equipment: Was disappointed to find that it also has a power cord hanging off of it, so it isn't just like a usb flash drive as the pictures lead you to believe.

Setup: Added batteries to remote, plugged in to HDMI and power, turned on. It auto found my wifi network, connected, configured, and downloaded interface all within a minute.

Use: Interface and remote are easy to use. I pulled up a Prime Movie and it played instantly with no buffering (which is amazing given how slow my internet is).

Apps: Went to the apps section and their were about 10 apps already installed. It took me about 20 seconds to find and launch the install to add Youtube. Worked great, no buffering.

Games: None installed by default. Went in to the "wheeled games" section and their were 7. Added filter to show only ones that worked with the included remote (vs the add on controller) and that took it down to 2. Opened the first one and it was 99 cents. Opened the second and it was free. Download and install took about 5 minutes (slow internet). Played it (Hill Climb Racing) and it was pretty fun.

Text: Really sucks typing anything out with the remote, but there is supposed to be an Android phone app with voice recognition. I will try that later.

I have not had the chance to try chromecast, but the Fire Stick seems well worth the $39 they sell for and a steal at the $19 I paid.

Edit: I just spotted this image on the purchase page. I don't think it was there when I ordered. Not a game changer, but the power cord was a disappointment. I guess HDMI does not transmit a power signal like USB?
    Last edited by Titus; 12-12-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Bummer that it needs AC.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Bummer that it needs AC.
    It is Micro USB, so it is probably possible to plug it in the a USB port on the TV rather than using the AC wall wart, but that is still not as elegant and ultra portable as it would be if it could get power directly from the HDMI port.

Chromecast is the same, however it is not recommended to power the Fire TV Stick from the USB on the TV.
    Impressed with the speed and the app support. My TV remote will do everything except the 'Home' function.
    Compared to the Smart TV apps on my Vizio, the picture and sound are much better, too.
    1995 M Edition

Driver

Wife approval factor with the fire is better than the chromecast due to the remote.