Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Titus's V6 Swap build thread

I will enjoy this thread...........have fun.

First task last night was cleaning up the transmission. The car had a rear main seal leak for the last several years, so the transmission was nasty.

A little degreaser, a wire brush, a power washer, and about 90 minutes, and it was 95% better. There are still some crevices that have build up, but it is good enough for me.

Next on the list was cleaning the engine bay. Frankly I didn't get much cleaning done. I kept getting distracted by trying to move stuff in the way, and then ended up adding some lightness.

(Its not like they served a purpose any more given I ditched the stock steering wheel a few years ago.)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looking good! What are you using for a degreaser?

I think I was using something purple. By itself it didn't do much but was great in combination with the wire brush.

Suspension Modder

Thank god its you... I mean that with love. Too many people start projects that cannot be finished. I know you will and I'm certain this will be what turns us all green when finished.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I think I was using something purple
    Grape jelly? Barney?

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Grape jelly? Barney?
    Just for you I went out and snapped a pic of the 2 I have On hand.2015-04-01 08.53.10.jpg

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Graci!

Nuts and Bolts

When I was removing the timing belt cover, I noticed that several of the bolts had pretty rusty heads. I ended up soaking them all over night in rust remover and they looked as good as new. The problem though was that about half of them had very poor zinc plating (a few seemed to have none at all on the head) and this was clearly what allowed them to rust. Re-installing them as is was just asking for a repeat of the rust build-up. Replacing them seemed costly at over $3 a bolt plus shipping for over a dozen of them. I considered having them powder coated when I send off the valve covers, but that seemed like overkill. I even briefly considered a zinc coating kit from Eastwood, but as i researched the kit I found myself reading about bolt treatments on a Harley forum. There I discovered the idea of painting them with fingernail polish. Durable, comes with a brush the right size for painting bolt heads, and easy to touch up if it gets scratched. A quick raiding of my daughter's nail polish collection and 30 minutes later, they were all painted black.

From there we go to Accessory bolts. One thing you will find is that most junkyards sell the accessories separate from the engine. I didn't even realize this until a few days after the engine was in the garage. I addressed this and sourced an Alternator and AC Compressor, but then I found I didn't have the bolts to attach them. I needed to order a weird gasket only sold by Honda anyway, so I ordered the 2 Alternator bolts and 4 compressor bolts. About 15 seconds after they were installed, I realized how much time and money in shipping charges my lack of thinking ahead was costing me, as now I needed to order a belt. Belt arrived and went on easy.

Tonight I finished stripping the engine bay and I got one side clean.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Very nice...purple stuff?

Friday night saw a break for Furious 7, and most of Saturday was detoured by replacing the house water heater, but I found time Saturday night for dash removal. Probably Not required to complete the swap, but it will make some things easier and allows me to remove the rest of the airbag stuff, install a new heater core, and add some foam strip to the back of the dash to get rid of some old age rattles and creaks.

What is the mileage of the engine and how much? I guess it would be much more economical the get one with all the accessories. Great work!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    What is the mileage of the engine and how much? I guess it would be much more economical the get one with all the accessories. Great work!
    I got the 2 engines pictured earlier from a junk yard 2 miles from my house. Both are from 2002 Acura TL Type S donor cars, both have around 80k miles. The junk yard had them listed on car-part.com for $250 plus tax plus a $100 core fee for each. By buying both, I got him to cut the core charge in half. I then got one of his guys to deliver them to my house for another $20. All in, it was $330 per engine delivered.

It would have been nice if it had accessories, but most you see for sale usually come without accessories or harness and a few of the sensors almost always get broke when they pull the harness. I spent another $340 on Alternator, Compressor, harness, bolts and belt to install the accessories, and 2 broken sensors.

Is the motor from the Acura higher HP than the mini-vans? It would seem hard to find a 15 year old Acura with only 80k on it..........

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    Is the motor from the Acura higher HP than the mini-vans? It would seem hard to find a 15 year old Acura with only 80k on it..........
    The Acura 3.2 has better heads, higher redline, and higher HP. The Honda Odyssey 3.5 has more torque. Swapping the Odyssey crank and rods into the Acura motor give you the best of both worlds.

I thought the '03 TL-S and the Odyssey have the same heads….

You going to do a compression/leak down test and freshen it up with new seals/gaskets/water pump and hoses before you drop it in?
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I thought the '03 TL-S and the Odyssey have the same heads….
    I know I have read that at least the cams and valves are different. I believe that the cams can be swapped out with no issue. You can put the TL-S heads on Odyssey motor, but you also need to bring over the pistons to match the valve pocket size.

Factory ratings:
    TL-S (J32A2)- 260 hp @ 6200 rpm and 232 lb·ft @ 3500-5500 rpm
    Odyssey (J35A4)- 240 hp @ 5500 rpm and 242 lb·ft @ 4500 rpm

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast