Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air horns failed today

Default Air horns failed today

So I am kicking myself for buying cheap airhorns...I installed the Wolo airhorns from Pepboys about two weeks ago and they worked fine until today when this POS pickup decides to make a u-turn (with a red light on his side) right in front of me. I hit the horn for about 2 seconds and then it stoped working. Not sure if I blew the relay or the compressor just went out.
    I should have listened to all the reviews I read about keeping the stock one for back-up....
    This is where I think I missed up. Please correct me if I am wrong.....When I installed these I used the existing wires from the OEM horn. Because the intructions said there is no need to use another relay if you aready have a 12v horn installed.
    Electronics are not my strong point. I am guessing I should have run another relay and fuse?
    Should I pick up another relay before hooking the stock one back-up?
    I love the sound of the air horns but driving around with no horn is pretty scary.
    No more Miata

Did you blow a fuse or did the compressor die?

Not sure. It happened on the way to work. I looked in the fuse box , but can't find the fuse for the horn. I found the relay... where is the horn fuse is on a 99?
    No more Miata

Damn my fading memory... but isn't there something about the brake lights and the horn being fed off of the same relay. (You'd think that I would know!)

If the air horns are on the same relay and if they're drawing more amps than the stock horns, the combo of the horns and brake lights will blow a fuse or relay every time... unfortunately, it's usually the relay and they're pricier than fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Damn my fading memory... but isn't there something about the brake lights and the horn being fed off of the same relay. (You'd think that I would know!)

If the air horns are on the same relay and if they're drawing more amps than the stock horns, the combo of the horns and brake lights will blow a fuse or relay every time... unfortunately, it's usually the relay and they're pricier than fuses.
    Is that just on our classic NA Miatas?

If you ain't got horn, you ain't got brake lights, sparky... Might wanna do something about that ASAP...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Oopp... I just saw the post about it being a '99... but perhaps it holds true for them as well? I don't know! Argh...

You could always tap straight off the battery to the new air horn relay with a nice inline fuse inbetween to be safe...

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    If you ain't got horn, you ain't got brake lights, sparky... Might wanna do something about that ASAP...
    Hey I figured out how to check if it was the fuse or the compressor on the horns!

Try stepping on the brakes and see if the brake lights work!

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I was affraid of that....
    No more Miata

Yep the fuse controls both. Run a real relay, check miata net for instructions. It really isnt that hard.

When I installed my airhorns three+ years ago. (Harbour Frieght's horns which I think are Fiaam's) I just unpluged the stock horn, bolted in the two air horns and compressor. Compressor is grounded to it's mounting bracket and the factory hot wire is on the compressor + terminal. No additional relays, no blown fuses, airhorns still work and so do my brake lights.

YMMV but this setup worked on my previous Miatas as well.

This is what I would do to troubleshoot.

1. Check to see if brake lights work.
    Yes: Go to step 2.
    No: Check/Replace fuse or relay.

2. Honk horn. Do you hear a whirring sound?
    Yes: Check air lines for loose connections or holes
    No: Go to step 3.

3. Check wiring connections for solid power and ground connections.

If this doesn't fix it, return the airhorns and go to Harbour Frieght and buy theirs. If you're near Sowf Oklahoma, (McKinney) I can help you wire them up.
    Last edited by black roadster; 05-11-2005 at 08:44 AM.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

To ask the next obvious question... if the Pep Boy's specials are the "cheap" horns, what are the "good" ones?
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Yes... you should NOT run the air horns off of the stock horn wiring. They can draw quite a few amps more than the stock horn.

Yes... they are fed by the same fuse that feeds your brake lights. You lose one you lose them both.

Check my cardomain site... I recently installed the air horns and did it in such a way that the stock horn and the air horns run at the same time - the +12v wire for the horn triggers the relay for the air horns. I also hooked up the compressor power off the main wire in the fuse box (WITH an inline fuse to protect it) to run the air horns.

This way I have air horns AND the stock horn and if the air horns fail, I still have the stock horn to fall back on. It also keeps the brake light/horn circuit from being overloaded.

If you need help rewiring it let me know. I still have plenty of wire & crimp connectors left over from installing mine.

Raymond
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    To ask the next obvious question... if the Pep Boy's specials are the "cheap" horns, what are the "good" ones?
    I've had good luck with the one's HF sells and they're the cheapest I've found. Going on 3 years with no problems. I think they're Fiaams. Hella makes some too but not sure about the quality.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I went with the electric horns from HF. I like the lower tone. Also I had some Vatozone air horns for a while, but they would mess up from time to time. Also the horn diaphram finally got messed up and made me buy some new ones.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    I went with the electric horns from HF.
    Those are the ones I installed too. No extra wiring, relays needed. Not as loud as the air horns, but they will get you noticed for sure! ($10 on sale when I bought them.)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40438

Well I was freaked out...turns out the horns are fine...Just drove to Town North Mazda with no horn or brakelights (pretty scary with out them both) with flashers on. Got a new relay and the horns and brake lights work now. I disconected the Air horns for now and my stock horn is now held on by the wire only under the hood (in a safe place though).
    I checked out Raymonds setup on car domain and I am going to attempt to try that tonight. I can't give up the sound of the airhorns, but I DO need a backup!

What was Mazda thinking putting the same fuse and relay on Brake lights and horn.
    No more Miata

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    Well I was freaked out...turns out the horns are fine...Just drove to Town North Mazda with no horn or brakelights (pretty scary with out them both) with flashers on. Got a new relay and the horns and brake lights work now. I disconected the Air horns for now and my stock horn is now held on by the wire only under the hood (in a safe place though).
    I checked out Raymonds setup on car domain and I am going to attempt to try that tonight. I can't give up the sound of the airhorns, but I DO need a backup!

What was Mazda thinking putting the same fuse and relay on Brake lights and horn.
    Not thinking you were going to put air horns with out a relay on. You got a new fuse right? Not a relay. The relay should be fine. The fuse is what blows. You need to add a relay and a fuse for the new horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Not thinking you were going to put air horns with out a relay on. You got a new fuse right? Not a relay. The relay should be fine. The fuse is what blows. You need to add a relay and a fuse for the new horns.
    Hmmm. The Crazy Red Italian kit I have just upgrades the fuse size.

Well, if nobody else is sayin', I ain't either!

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    I KNEW you guys were related to Triumphs somewhere along the line (where is the heart icon....why don't you guys have heart icons??? I know, if I pay the $10.00 I can have a heart icon - right? OK...I'll pay the $10.00)
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...'Wow! What a ride!'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast