Thread: I want to try autocross

Default I want to try autocross

I have never autocrossed, and beyond watching videos on youtube, reading the SCCA Solo rules, reading numerous threads on forums, plus reading some beginners guides here and there, I don't know much about it.

I have a stock 2015 NC GT. I know I need to join a club. SCCA seems like a good place to start. It would be CS class, I think.

I will get a helmet when the 2015 Snell certified ones are out. I've decided on an open face one, don't know which yet (Pyrotect seems affordable, Bell is more familiar to me.)

On the SCCA schedule, the next local event is at Texas Motor Speedway on October 25th. However, that one requires previous autocross experience, per the restrictions listed on the SCCA calendar, so I'll have to pass.

It looks like the next event I could participate in is on November 1st at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie. Sounds good to me.

Do you have to be an SCCA member and does it cost anything if you just want to go watch the action?

Anything special I need to do before showing up to participate in an event (i.e., November 1)?

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

You must be an SCCA member to participate in the SCCA solo events. If you are not a full member, you can buy a weekend membership. There is no charge to spectate. You need to sign the waiver, then you will be able to do ride alongs.

There are 4 autocross clubs in the DFW area. All of them have loaner helmets. Buying your own is a good move, also, waiting for the Snell 2015 is another good move.

There is an autocross this Saturday, the 19th, at the TMS bus lot. http://www.dfwmiata.com/threads/2736...15-TMS-Bus-Lot

jrj512 also maintains a calendar at http://www.dfwautocross.com/
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Cool. I'm going to watch on Saturday. Do you know if they will let spectators walk the course and listen in on the novice's and driver's meetings?

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    Cool. I'm going to watch on Saturday. Do you know if they will let spectators walk the course and listen in on the novice's and driver's meetings?
    You are welcome to walk the course and attend the driver's meetings. Once the cars take the course, spectators must be outside the fence. You may ask to ride along but you'll need to buy a head sock for $5 if you use a loaner helmet. It's best to ask for rides in the grid area before the cars go on the lot.
    1995 M Edition

Ride alongs are allowed for non-competition fun runs, I presume? My 210 pounds would surely be a serious performance penalty on a timed run. :)

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^You'll probably get some takers this Sat at NTAXS. SCCA is a different story...

^^All runs at NTAXS are competition runs, but they are also fun!
    1995 M Edition

Most events have drivers willing to take a passenger on a run or two. The higher HP cars arent affected much by the added weight, but even the low HP cars are typically willing to take a passenger on one or 2 runs since they get 5-10 runs, depending on the club.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

You're more than welcome to ride along with me. Silver 2000 model w/red #31 on the door.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Most people are willing to take a passenger on the first/second runs. When you get into the 3rd/4th runs some people may not want a passenger. Just ask if they say no don’t take it personally most will say sure.

I am a fan of Bell helmets. The one I have now fits much better than the other brand I had.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    You're more than welcome to ride along with me. Silver 2000 model w/red #31 on the door.
    Thank you! I'll look for you.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Thanks for the ride alongs, and congratulations on your 2nd place finish! That was a fun day, even with the rain.