Thread: Spec Miata or other track ready car rentals for MSR Cresson and TWS

Default Spec Miata or other track ready car rentals for MSR Cresson and TWS

Hey everyone,

My S2000 was rear-ended by some idiot in a semi last week while I was sitting at a stop light. My car is out of commission for the foreseeable future, which means I am going to miss out on several events I had committed to instructing in the next month.

I am putting together a "loss of use" claim to file against the other party's insurance. Part of that will be the equivalent cost to rent a track ready car at MSR-C and TWS for the dates I am going to have to cancel.

Phillips Race Prep is one of the only places I've found online that have posted prices for Spec Miata rentals in Texas. Does anyone know of anyone else I should contact for Spec Miata - or other 2-seater, track ready car - rental?

Thanks!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Ace Miatas in Lewisville rents theirs out.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Bummer on the accident, might be tough to get loss of use on a S2000 especially since it's your daily driver not a secondary/toy car (IIRC) and it's hard to find equivalent rental rates on a S2000 in Dallas because not many if any exotic/sports car rental places rents them to establish a rate. Also if your insurance is involved be careful bringing it up as they may cancel your policy if you're asking for the money to rent an equivalent track car.

Just buy a spec miata and sell it at the same price later :) Might be cheaper than paying close to 1K for rentals.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Ace is decent -- has several to choose from. MER (Motorsports Enterprise Racing) in Cresson also rents.

I got lightly rear-ended by a semi too. He stopped behind me at a stop light and then gently drove into me because he forgot I was there and he couldn't see me over his hood. I'm thinking about replacing my antenna with one of those 20' tall bike flags from the 1970s.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Joe, there are two primary reason I own that specific car and not, say, a Camry:

1) I want to daily drive a lightweight, rwd, 2 seat convertible sports car.
    2) I use the car on the weekend for driving and instructing at various tracks around Texas.

Currently I do not have my car, and I do not have an equivalent that provides either of those specific and well defined uses, due to the negligence of another party. If that doesn't meet the definition of loss of use, I'm not sure what else would.

I have tentatively canceled specific event dates in October - events I had been invited to instruct and had planned on attending - specifically because I do not have an available track car. I can draw the line straight to the accident as the root cause of those event cancelations. Loss of use.

As for my insurance company, I'm not worried. I carry alternative insurance for my car when it is on track through a completely unrelated vendor, and I have the receipts to prove it. I don't expect my primary insurance carrier to pay out a nickel for anything that happens on track.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Joe, there are two primary reason I own that specific car and not, say, a Camry:

1) I want to daily drive a lightweight, rwd, 2 seat convertible sports car.
    2) I use the car on the weekend for driving and instructing at various tracks around Texas.

Currently I do not have my car, and I do not have an equivalent that provides either of those specific and well defined uses, due to the negligence of another party. If that doesn't meet the definition of loss of use, I'm not sure what else would.

I have tentatively canceled specific event dates in October - events I had been invited to instruct and had planned on attending - specifically because I do not have an available track car. I can draw the line straight to the accident as the root cause of those event cancelations. Loss of use.

As for my insurance company, I'm not worried. I carry alternative insurance for my car when it is on track through a completely unrelated vendor, and I have the receipts to prove it. I don't expect my primary insurance carrier to pay out a nickel for anything that happens on track.
    What I meant was that the car is your primary form of transportation so the insurance company owes you a car to be your primary form of transportation. They aren't obligated to pay for a rental/replacement car AND loss of use just one or the other. If you push them hard enough they may give you a rental that's slightly more comparable to your S2000 but I doubt they will give you $300-$500 a day to rent a sports car/prepped track car just because your daily happens to be a RWD convertible sports car with 50/50 weight balance that revs to 9,000 rpm etc.

Loss of use usually comes in play if you don't need a rental car while your car is down for repairs because you have primary transportation and you can prove it costs X dollar amount to replace your toy/weekend car while it's not available for use. They usually pay for the amount of time you'd be using it as a secondary car as well (i.e. weekends). YMMV but that's what I understand from my personal dealings with LOU. A lot of it depends on who the insurance company paying the claim is and if they want to play ball or be hard asses. Good luck.
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 10-01-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Keith Verges rents his Miatas for track days

so does Nick Sakulenski
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)