Thread: 3.5 Liter Acura

Chassis Designer

Default 3.5 Liter Acura

Just bought an Acura RDX with the 3.5 liter 6 cylinder. Advertised hp is 279. The 3.5 liter in the Acura RL is advertised as 310 hp. I'm guessing this is the same motor and am curious if the hp difference is simply computer settings or engine components. While I'd like to get up to the 310 number, the Acura warranty considerations would probably suggest that I wait for a little bit. Does anyone know if this is simply a Tuner adjustment? Thanks!

Doubt it is that simple but the RDX is a very nice SUV my mom has one and loves it! I bet mom hasn't even come close to using all 279 Horse Powers yet.

A Honda expert would be able to tell you more, but I believe there a number of internal differences in the heads. Cams, and maybe CR. The RDX motor is basically the Odyssey motor, iirc.

Edit: wikki shows its the same motor as the v6 accord, actually. The cams are different and the CR is 10.5:1, while the 310hp motor is 11.5:1
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I would tend to agree that the motors are almost undoubtedly different. Honda is not like BMW who sometimes build identical motors with different power levels to differentiate trim levels. Additionally Hondata does not support any of the J series V6 engines so there are no simple flash tunes available. The only option would be a AEM standalone which would have compromises for a daily driver.

If you want to find out for sure if the motors are the same go to hondapartsnow and search the parts lists for the major components (start with cams, pistons, rods, and head). Once you find the part number for one of the components highlight it and copy and paste that number right into the hondapartsnow search bar. This will provide you with a list of every vehicle honda has ever made that uses that part number.

Fun fact, there is a part number for a belleville used on the input shaft of honda transmissions that has been in service from the 70s to now. It is on the input shaft of almost every Honda manual transmission ever made!

Chassis Designer

Thanks everyone. Since its the wife's new ride I'll leave it alone. Sure is great information. ��