Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSM VS spec Miata

Default MSM VS spec Miata

Just for fun and to possibly start a nice debate:

Which would be a faster track car at MSR or Hallet:
    Spec or MSM?

Obviously MSM is faster in straights, but is Spec suspension superior to MSM?
    Which would be a better track car for having fun out on the track?

Hope to explore this personally in the future...
    SOLD: 92 silver w/hardtop, voodoo, Kosei wheels, pine tree air freshener, and some JR stuff.
    SOLD: 99 silver; the old Goodwin supercharged car with gobs of power and everything else on it.
    SOLD: 95 triple black; stock
    SOLD: 99 black and tan; loaded and clean; just hit 50k miles.
    SOLD: 2006 Copper Mica Red; stock.
    FOR SALE: 2007 Galaxy Grey Grand Touring; stock; 38k miles.

I would also think the spec would be better setup for the track that an off the dealer lot MSM.

It might be a pretty close race. A really good shoe could probably throw the MSM around enough in the corners to take advantage of the power difference. It would be fun to watch as the SM would eat it up in the corners and then on the straights the FI would give the MSM the power to pass.
    For fun factor it is the SM any day. For track day I don't know as passing on straights is the rule and the SM is a "late breakers delight" for passing in the corners. Running my SM at MSR sometimes is frustrating as we almost have to scare the big bore street cars into letting us pass and get away from them.
    Mac

Spec Miata would kill it at MSR and Hallet.h
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Not even a real good comparison. I would estimate at the Ranch there would be about 6-7 seconds differents in lap times, even with a good driver. The MSM is a nice handling car, but leans way to much. A good set of Tein FLEX would help considerable. I think with the big 17" wheels, any suspension lowering would improve the apparance, way to much air between those fenders.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

First of all, you're talking apples to oranges..... We've got a pretty good baseline on Spec Miatas at MSR. Track record is a 1:25.9xx, with a dozen or so consistently in the 1:26's. I don't know of any lap times on a MSM, so if someone has some, let me know, or let me throw a set of Toyo RA1's on yours and we'll see....... FYI, Sunny (92 Miata with 190K+ miles) with the RA1's ran a 1:30.2xx the last time out with stock brake pads. Should probably get a 1:29.5 if I put the HP+'s on. Based on that, I see no reason that an MSM with nothing but RA1's shouldn't be able to run at least a 1:27.

More fuel for the fire, The last season in Speedie, Tim and I were within a few tenths every race weekend, with Tim in SSB form and Speedie in SM. That's stock suspension in SSB, so add thirty HP and tires, and the MSM should be even faster with a bit of tuning...... Remember that the fast Spec Miatas have been well sorted, which is worth a couple of seconds. Put that same effort in an MSM and you're now in the 1:25's.

Same thing at Hallett, as it's a similar track. The TWS long course or TMS Roval, I give the MSM another second advantage :) Bottom line, a Spec Miata is the most bang for the buck, no question!
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Yeah, but now you're adding modifications to the MSM... both cars being in the stock* form, the Spec would have to spank the MSM.

But, if as you say, put into both the same suspension, weight, and tire mods but leave the motors alone, of course the MSM would have a huge advantage in the straights with 30+ more horse.

*Stock meaning a MSM right off the showroom floor and a Spec up to the current year's rule book.

I'm going to have to go with Merv on this one. The SSB cars and SMs run pretty similar lap times, and the top SSB cars are typically "showroom stock" '99 Sports, with the factory suspension package. The MSM is marginally lower (which should allow marginally more camber when properly set up), and stiffer than a '99 Sport, and it has much better acceleration, plus much better balanced ABS brakes. The MSM is at a disadvantage to the '99 Sport in autocrossing, where low range throttle response and shorter gearing hurts it, but these two things aren't as big an issue on a road course.

Give an MSM comparable tires, a comparable driver, and dial it in to the same level as a top SM or SSB car, and I think the MSM would be marginally faster... at least until the rinky dink little stock intercooler completely heat soaked.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm still waiting for someone to volunteer their msm.......
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I'm still waiting for someone to volunteer their msm.......
    Well I'm not volunteering.. but I'm taking mine to Hallet in a few weeks...

Any offers of suggestions to "dial it in" would be appreciated... I'll be running well worn 205/45-16 V700s. Not RA1s, but not street tires.

What lap times do spec cars run at Hallet, anyone?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    What lap times do spec cars run at Hallet, anyone?
    Fastest SM laps this season:
    4/17 1:32.7
    5/14 1:32.2
    Last year SSB:
    7/04 1:33.9

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    Fastest SM laps this season:
    4/17 1:32.7
    5/14 1:32.2
    Last year SSB:
    7/04 1:33.9
    Damn, my Hallet record is 6 seconds off that....I need more $$$
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66
    I think what makes Merv so damned fast is TONS of seat time...

Maybe I'll shoot for that... I'm trying to remebr what I was running in my 1st gen, and I believe it was like 1:36 or 1:38... (of cours eI coudl be way off)

eitherway.. I'm notthat great, so don't expect me to be the best judge of how fast an MSM can go..
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Maybe I'll shoot for that... I'm trying to remebr what I was running in my 1st gen, and I believe it was like 1:36 or 1:38... (of cours eI coudl be way off)

eitherway.. I'm notthat great, so don't expect me to be the best judge of how fast an MSM can go..
    My best in the '99 Sport two years ago was 1:38.6, in C Stock trim on 225/45-15 Ecsta V700s. You oughta be able to beat that with the straights at Hallett...
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    I think what makes Merv so damned fast is TONS of seat time...
    Yah, I know. I'm getting lots of seat time to learn but need to quit breaking stuff and get my car running 100% again. I'm canning the FM springs and busted AGX shocks before I go to Hallet June 4. I just tuned my air meter a bit so the 1.8 swap is running great now!

Can't wait to see how it does on the track, I've made noticable improvements lately at Hallet so maybe I can get close to 1:38's.....although I'm putting stock 96 suspension on...

If you had an M1 in the 1:36's you must have a lot of seat time at Hallet! I think I'm getting pretty good at Hallet now and my best in the 90 with front sway, FM springs/AGX, rear chassis brace on v700's was 1:39.90

If you had an M1 in the 1:36's you must have a lot of seat time at Hallet! I think I'm getting pretty good at Hallet now and my best in the 90 with front sway, FM springs/AGX, rear chassis brace on v700's was 1:39.90
    I think he is talking about a 1st gen RX-7, not an M1.

1st gen Rx7 set up in CSP trim. stock port 13b, fullexhaust, GC 350/175# Illuminas, 235/45-13 V700s.. At the time it was probably ~130rwhp and ~2300lbs?
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast