Thread: BTB cable stuck

Default BTB cable stuck

Had a little scare today, maybe you folks have an idea.

My daughter calls me and says I need to come down to the strip center down the road cause the miata is acting FUNNY. Says it acts like the gas pedal is stuck but it isn't. When I get there and open the hood, I get her to start the car and the throttle spring/cable moves (snaps from FT to idle) back to idle without me doing anything. I drive it home and from just a little bit of inspection can't find anything that would make it hang. I have the Big Throttle Body if that helps your diagnosis.

Winner of this diagnosis contest gets a drive in said car at MSR sometime this summer.

(Is there a spell check on here? I need one.)

Mac

Malfunction in the cruise control? Floor mat bunched up by the pedals? Wiring hanging down by the pedals?

Hard to diagnose it remotely.

Could be as simple as an old cable that needs replacing or could be a binding throttle assembly...

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I'm going to go with driver's side floor mat.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Yeah, that also makes it a B!7(# to shift

At the Rev-It-Up event last year I ground & crunched the hell out of the RX-8 getting it into 2nd gear... when I finished the course I got out and pulled the floor mat out from behind the pedals... hard to use a clutch when you can't push it to the floor!

Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

My guess involves the underhood routing of the throttle cable: either the mounting has shifted such that engine rocking affects throttle position and/or the extra heat from the blower has melted the housing in a way that generates the same symptom.

Quote Originally Posted by redmenace
    My guess involves the underhood routing of the throttle cable: either the mounting has shifted such that engine rocking affects throttle position and/or the extra heat from the blower has melted the housing in a way that generates the same symptom.
    I think you are on to something here. B. Goodwin told me to look for a rubber grommet that might be causing the problem. I plan to look at it out at MSR tomorrow as we will be working on another problem, something with the o2s is still causing a CEL. Todd O has the code reader so.... one of these days I can pass registration! I will report back.

Driver
    The Enclave at The Villages of Deer Run at Quail Arroyo Estates de Chandelier Crossing
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS
    I think you are on to something here.

So... did I win?

Quote Originally Posted by IPRESS
    Winner of this diagnosis contest gets a drive in said car at MSR sometime this summer.