Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the cord!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Cutting the cord!

Have any of y'all done away with cable and/or satellite, and taken other measures for your TV viewing? Looks like there are a lot more options than there used to be.

Local channels are easy with OTA antenna, but what about ESPN, Velocity and HGTV for the wife?

We looked at this earlier this year we ended up sticking with AT&T for now....... We watch more HGTV, Velocity, ESPN, and other "cable" channels to cut the cord just yet.

I did call to cancel my AT&T and renegotiated a 1 year deal for just under $100.00 a month..

Have not had TV service since '99. I either download or stream the very few shows I'm interested in seeing. I do have a TV, but it's used almost exclusively for movie viewing. And every year it's gotten easier to control the programming of what you watch.
    Jason McDaniel

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Have any of y'all done away with cable and/or satellite, and taken other measures for your TV viewing? Looks like there are a lot more options than there used to be.

Local channels are easy with OTA antenna, but what about ESPN, Velocity and HGTV for the wife?
    This is interesting: https://www.sling.com/
    1995 M Edition

I had Uverse for about 18 months when my daughter and hubby were living with us. The minute they moved out I cancelled and returned to the antenna. Netflix is all I need and use. I'd rather read a book than watch most of the crap on cable.
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks guys. I did see SlingTV, but it's missing Velocity!

I did come across this option, which is interesting. $50 one-time charge...I need to do more research.

http://www.playon.tv/playon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark52 View Post
    I had Uverse for about 18 months when my daughter and hubby were living with us. The minute they moved out I cancelled and returned to the antenna. Netflix is all I need and use. I'd rather read a book than watch most of the crap on cable.

W have been cable-free for almost 4 years, I think. We got a stand-alone TiVo box for the living room and a Roku for the bedroom. Also picked up a Roku Stick for the patio TV, used. We pay for Netflix, and already had Amazon Prime, which covers all of my viewing desires at this point. I missed ESPN for a while, but found that going to a bar/restaurant for a must-see game was actually fun, and I missed the rest a lot less than I expected. I'm a soccer guy, but Spanish antenna TV actually carries most of the games I care about. I can watch other live sports on the iPad or computer if I'm motivated. More than anything, we watch less TV, but also better TV.

the TiVo box provides DVR and guide/menu features, and it's around $10/mo for the service which keeps the guide current so we can record anything off the antenna just like a cable DVR. I wasn't going to get it, but Amy wanted it, and I am glad she did. We drop around $35/month for the various streaming and TiVo services, and $39/ mo for the cable internet (we own the cable modem and router), which is our total expenditure for home entertainment/internet connectivity. Oh, we also have the Ooma phone through that connection, which is around $3/mo for unlimited "land line" and long distance.

I cant overstate how pleased we are with the value and availability of interesting programming, and we only watch something that doesn't either eliminate the commercials or allow us to skip them around 10% of the time. When we had a bazillion channels, we found ourselves always surfing for something. Now we watch deliberately, which leaves a lot of time for other activities as a family.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    When we had a bazillion channels, we found ourselves always surfing for something. Now we watch deliberately, which leaves a lot of time for other activities as a family.
    This x1000, much more reason to cut the cord than saving cash(nice bonus tho).
    We cut the cord 5 or so years ago. We now have the basic cable since internet is so expensive with only 2 choices and the bundle makes some sort of sense(come on google fiber...), but after years with the cord cut, we leave the TV off 95% of the time, only use cable to DVR kid shows off Nick jr. Netflix or redbox after the kids go to bed. Before we would sit on our ass surfing mind numbing crap for hours, now it's so nice to have the damn thing turned off until we actually have something in mind to watch. Keeps extra time for legos and dollhouse.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    When we had a bazillion channels, we found ourselves always surfing for something.
    That's where I'm at...95% of the time we're watching something off the DVR. When I'm not, I'm bitching about how many commercials there are.

I could easily cut the cable, but Mrs. JRJ512 might have a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I could easily cut the cable, but Mrs. JRJ512 might have a hard time.
    I was cord free for years until I got married. Wife needs Dicovery ID and those stations with the movie of the day depicting disease and wife battery. Doesn't matter now though b/c out in the boonies I'm on metered internet so the dish is cheaper.
    '92 LS3

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I called DirecTV yesterday and gave them my 2-week notice. I'm going to use an antenna + one of the internet based providers (Sling, Hulu, etc). Not sure which one yet.

I do have a HTPC I built a few years back that I'll dust off for my DVR.

PS
    Did some research on Sling...can't DVR it, can't pause it, can't skip commercials. No bueno.
    Last edited by sammm; 07-20-2015 at 07:56 AM.

I'd consider it but I watch a lot of Discovery, History and of course A&E for The Walking Dead and soon to be Fear the Walking Dead. Can't wait! I DVR everything. I hate commercials.

Wife almost exclusively watches HGTV and we watch occasional shows on ABC, NBC.

If there was a way to stay current and cut the cable, we would. Currently with U-Verse for TV and Interwebs.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I just watch all of the "hip" shows one season behind real-time. Since I have no friends to spoil the outcomes for me, it's not a problem. Everything ends up on Netflix or Amazon eventually.

You might also look into Apple TV, as it allows you to mirror content from your computer onto the TV pretty easily. I believe this is a work-around for web-only content like free Hulu and network websites that you can't get with streaming apps on the TV/Roku.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'm now an official cord-cutter. DirecTV is history, and I have my roof-top antenna hooked-up. Plenty of OTA channels to choose from, and along
    with Netflix streaming there's more than enough selection of stuff to watch. I'll miss some of the channels, like Velocity, but I suspect I'll get over it.

PS - Installed an Amazon Firestick on one of the TV's for Netflix access. There are tons of free channels/apps thru that...check out the Pluto app (100+ free HD channels).

Just get a dog. Way better than TV.

Seriously, though... We're mostly on the McShane plan of watch it a season behind... There are a couple shows that our friends talk about, so I buy those from Amazon or Apple and watch them current... Still far cheaper than cable and no commercials.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Now there's this: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

*NBCSN available, F1 Fans!
    Last edited by wrx74; 03-28-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    1995 M Edition

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

+

+

= Winner!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    I haven't checked prices in a while, but that offering from Sony doesn't seem any less expensive than the old stand-by cable/FiOS/Satellite options.

For my part, Netflix plus Amazon Prime is sufficient. I rarely watch TV anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast