Thread: NA Miata full NB swap theory

Default NA Miata full NB swap theory

Before I start this is just theory for now, to decide if the madness is actually sane.

I right now have a 2000 Miata SE and getting tired of its Katrina curse and BS and looking to get and NA here in a few months. The question I have is doing a full NB swap into the NA, like taking the rolling chassis out from under the NB body and dropping the NA body on it. Then doing a NB dash swap and my idea is that if i did all of that the factory NB ecu and harness could be put in place in the NA without hickup or minor modification. Other than the eye watering work it would take does it sound feasible to you guys?

I hope your not planning to move the Katrina Cursed NB crap into the NA shell.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Well that's a fair point. The NB drivetrain has less than 40k miles on it, so it can't be that bad. The cursed carpet and seats are staying in the NB, more than likely. The plan is to swap ECUs and chassis' harnesses so they stay drivetrain and dash specific. I like to think soul, and curses, remain tub/body specific.

-The idiot who gave him the idea to swap everything
    Rust-Oleum White 97

You certainly could, I'm not sure I WOULD unless the NB is hammered bodywise.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

Getting the dash to fit might be an issue. You certainly will have to fab some mounts and drill some holes. IIRC you will also need to relocate the middle exhaust hanger and a 4/2/1 header will not fit in the tunnel.

mechanically the car is more solid than anyone I've driven then engine, 6 speed, and torsen are all tip top. The ecu was replace and so were most electronics so everything electrical works. the body is cursed every time I do something to make the car better it get reversed 10 fold. So I'm just sorta one dumping money on paint and body stuff and a new top after being vandalized.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    Getting the dash to fit might be an issue. You certainly will have to fab some mounts and drill some holes. IIRC you will also need to relocate the middle exhaust hanger and a 4/2/1 header will not fit in the tunnel.
    I thought the NB dash was drop in and if the NB harness swap was done probably minimal wiring.

So your going to scrap the Mahogany to build a NA?

Quote Originally Posted by 2000MiataSE View Post
    I thought the NB dash was drop in and if the NB harness swap was done probably minimal wiring.
    You may want to do a bit more research than just taking the word of PManess57.

I predict a 2-miata partout coming up, about 3 months after you start tearing-up the NB.

The work it takes to put the NB drivetrain into an NA body is going to be far more than the reward you will get. The NA8 isn't really much less powerful than the 2000, and the 6mt in the NB sucks around town, imho.

Just sell your NB and buy an NA if that's what you want.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    So your going to scrap the Mahogany to build a NA?
    That is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I predict a 2-miata partout coming up, about 3 months after you start tearing-up the NB.

The work it takes to put the NB drivetrain into an NA body is going to be far more than the reward you will get. The NA8 isn't really much less powerful than the 2000, and the 6mt in the NB sucks around town, imho.

Just sell your NB and buy an NA if that's what you want.
    I've actually grown fond of the 6 speed, feels more silky to me. The other possibility is just head swapping an NA and taking the trans and 3.90 torsen out.

So what is the backstory on why you would contemplate such a massive project?

What is wrong with the NB??

its just worth so little that I can't justify doing paint and body work on it or replacing the top again (vandalized at collin college), It'd be cheaper to just get another car and take the good bits from mine.

Nothing is set in stone just exploring my options, i have considered just selling it which is the most logical thing to do.