Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, POS, your wish comes true...

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    And that was the greatest use of quotes
    Dang... beat me to it!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    This is the greatest line ever in the history of this board.
    Thank you! Thank you!

I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your moderators!

Well 3Bean what did the shop say? Hopefully it was something simple.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Well 3Bean what did the shop say? Hopefully it was something simple.
    I spoke with Danny this morning and he mentioned that, most likely, a reverse tranny flush was in order. The 93 Accord does not have a replaceable tranny filter but getting to it and cleaning it would be upwards of $1k. To go so far as only changing the fluid would not help either. He suggested that I find a good transmission shop that will do a reverse tranny flush... because the most likely scenario is that the fibers on the clutch packs have/are worn/wearing loose and are clogging the filter. Perhaps the flush would help in extending the life of the tranny.

Right now I'm searching for a transmission shop in Frisco/Plano/McKinney that'll do the reverse flush.

I think Car Spa has the reverse ATF machines... Probably your cheapest alternative. Verfiy that they are "reverse" flush machines, but I think that's the only thing most shops have these days...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    I think Car Spa has the reverse ATF machines... Probably your cheapest alternative. Verfiy that they are "reverse" flush machines, but I think that's the only thing most shops have these days...
    That's a negative on the reverse flush at Car Spa... the flush they have would only worsen the situation. The Plano store has the machinery... the Dallas (Coit) store doesn't.

You'd think I was speaking jibberish after calling three transmission shops. All three so far, "A reverse tranny flush? What's that good for? How do you do it?"

Argh...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    You'd think I was speaking jibberish after calling three transmission shops. All three so far, "A reverse tranny flush? What's that good for? How do you do it?"

Argh...
    I was thinking the same thing.... can ya draw me a picture?

I’ve had a transmission flushed, they tied it into the cooling lines of the transmission and flushed all the old fluid out it’s a cool deal. Wonder if you’d just switch the lines to do a reverse flush????

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    can ya draw me a picture?

Basically what POS just said... only in reverse. Apparently, you can find the odd shop that does it but in all reality it solves nothing.

I'm looking at replacing the tranny... and there aren't any TCB deals on this one.

I'm looking at replacing the tranny... and there aren't any TCB deals on this one.
    Why don't you just replace the car.......

I'd like to. But she loves that danged Honduh... it was her first new car ever. It got her through college and several more years... she has quite the emotional tie to it.

I'd like to. But she loves that danged Honduh... it was her first new car ever. It got her through college and several more years... she has quite the emotional tie to it.
    Sure, I believe ya!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

she has quite the emotional tie to it.
    How much you wanna bet a new car would cut that tie clean! Sell your garage queen and buy the woman a vee-hickle!

Default I hate to agree with POS, but...

Bean, I gotta agree with POS on this one. Why on earth would you replace the transmission on a 12 year old Honda Accord? It ain't a Ferrari or anything. Put $1,500 - $2,000 into a car that's barely worth that much? Come on, you know that's not a good idea. I understand that your wife is attached to the car, but sometimes ya gotta just move on.

Take the $1,500 you were going to [have to] spend fixing that transmission, add another $3-4,0000, and go buy her the nicest $5,000 Accord you can find. Checking Edmunds, it looks like you can find her a nice mid 1990's model with well under 100k on the clock...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    How much you wanna bet a new car would cut that tie clean! Sell your garage queen and buy the woman a vee-hickle!
    Sell the V-Dub! No! Niet! Nein! Nell! Did I say no?!

We weren't talking about my emotional ties...

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    Bean, I gotta agree with POS on this one. Why on earth would you replace the transmission on a 12 year old Honda Accord? It ain't a Ferrari or anything. Put $1,500 - $2,000 into a car that's barely worth that much? Come on, you know that's not a good idea. I understand that your wife is attached to the car, but sometimes ya gotta just move on.

Take the $1,500 you were going to [have to] spend fixing that transmission, add another $3-4,0000, and go buy her the nicest $5,000 Accord you can find. Checking Edmunds, it looks like you can find her a nice mid 1990's model with well under 100k on the clock...
    As much as I'd hate to be into a new car payment (again!), especially after just getting out of one early last year, I'd have to go with a new Honduh or Jap equivalent. Why would I want to inherit someone else's nightmare Accord when I can get a new one for less than 25K with full warranties.

Problem is, you're preaching to the choir. It's not me I have to convince....

We bought Melissa's '01 Accord EX a few years back for less than $15k. Best damn appliance I've ever owned - comfortable, reliable, easy on gas (we bought the 4-banger EX, not the V6) and apparently invisible to police radar.

I've driven that car over 1000 miles in a day, and for getting someone from point A to point B in relative comfort, you can't beat it. It ain't exactly fun to drive, but it makes a great people hauler.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

As much as I'd hate to be into a new car payment (again!), especially after just getting out of one early last year, I'd have to go with a new Honduh or Jap equivalent....
    Oh, I thought you were looking for a TCB alternative. Since you're not, I'd go get her one of these. :cool:
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast