Thread: Changes to Track Night Convertible Policy

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Default Changes to Track Night Convertible Policy

I got this e-mail yesterday, May 9, from Heyward Wagner:

Good Afternoon,

It was recently brought to our attention that the Track Night convertible policy is in need of clarification and updating. Effective immediately, the new policy will be:

It is highly recommended that all convertible vehicles be equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules. However, convertible vehicles may participate in Track Night events provided the vehicle meets at least on of the following criteria and is not subject to any of the below exceptions:

- The vehicle is equipped with an aftermarket roll bar that meets or exceeds the standards set in the SCCA Time Trials rules.

- The vehicle is equipped with documented factory installed roll over protection (examples of manufacture documented roll over protection would include hydroformed and reinforced a-pillars or windshield frames and factory installed roll bars and/or “pop-up” bars that are designated as roll over protection.

- The Vehicle is a 2006-year model or newer.

Exceptions: In addition, vehicles that were manufactured since 2006 that fall into any of the below categories must meet the criteria stated above for factory or aftermarket roll over protection:

- Vehicles equipped with factory V8 or forced induction engine

- Vehicles modified meaningfully beyond the factory performance potential (examples: engine swaps, aftermarket forced induction)

We at Track Night would like to remind that the participant is responsible for the inspection and eligibility of his/her vehicle. We are happy to answer questions and make suggestions. However, we urge anyone who is currently, or planning to participate in a Track Night event in a convertible vehicle without an aftermarket roll bar to research and confirm the manufactures position on the safety features put in place from the factory.

Please note that the policy change also effects vehicles that were build prior to 2006 that were previously participating with a hard top, but without a bar. Vehicles in this configuration will no longer be eligible. Anyone who is registered in such a configuration is eligible for a full refund and may initiate the process by replying to this email. We apologize for any frustration this may cause.

Finally, we would like to underline the appropriateness of roll bars in vehicles driven on track. While there are other criteria that will allow participation, an aftermarket, approved bar is the best and preferred configuration.

For more information on roll bars, their specifications and applications we recommend contacting Track Night Technical Partner, Autopower Industries or visiting their website at http://www.autopowerindustries.com/

If you have questions, please feel free to ask.

Looking Forward,

-h

--
    Heyward Wagner
    Director of Experiential Programs
    www.SCCA.com
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I was surprised last year when a hardtop was all ya needed to run a Vintage Miata at an SCCA Track Night. Seems like a smart move on the part of the SCCA.

Do you think that the broomstick test will be mandatory now as well? I think The duece rollbar will fit for me, but I won't be sitting below it with a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
    Do you think that the broomstick test will be mandatory now as well? I think The duece rollbar will fit for me, but I won't be sitting below it with a helmet.
    It depends on the Organization, the individual scrutineer, and the track. Those variables make it damn near impossible to answer your question with a simple "yes" or "no".

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
    I doubt it. Most of us would not be eligible.
    Last edited by jrj512; 05-10-2016 at 12:56 PM.

I was wondering how long it would take to get to this. I wonder if there was a precipitating event.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I hope not, that would be aweful.

I asked Heyward (TNIA) if verifying compliance is a task added to the run/work TECH folks or if it is the responsibility of TNIA Event Officials.
    Neither. He said it is the participant's call.
    Self-policing...that always works...he he

So, the picture in the above post?...well, the participant decided he was compliant.
    There you go.
    Paul
    SCCA National Tech Official

From the quoted letter from Heyward Wagner, a convertible has to meet "at least on" of the three criteria listed below, and not meet any of the two exceptions. I presume he intended that to be "at least one".

So a convertible that is 2006-year model or newer satisfies the policy because it meets the year model criteria. Roll bar is recommended, but is not required for such a vehicle. Neither is factory roll protection required. A 2006 or newer NC (PRHT or soft top) or an ND, without a roll bar, would be allowed.

That criteria applies regardless of the make and model of the convertible from 2006 on, provided it isn't excluded for some other reason.

What is so special about 2006 and newer?

I had to go to pretty extreme measures to get the top of my helmet below the roll bar by 1". I like my neck though and I have seen a couple roll overs at the track. With or without the enforcement I would have done the same. I didn't even like driving the car on the road without it. Unfortunately this will drive away alot of the people track nights is supposed to attract, but I don't see anyway around it.

It may not drive away owners of "2006-year model or newer" convertibles without any sort of roll bar or roll-over protection, since they are not excluded.

That said, I would not track my car without a proper roll bar, personally, but clearly some people don't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    From the quoted letter from Heyward Wagner, a convertible has to meet "at least on" of the three criteria listed below, and not meet any of the two exceptions. I presume he intended that to be "at least one".

So a convertible that is 2006-year model or newer satisfies the policy because it meets the year model criteria. Roll bar is recommended, but is not required for such a vehicle. Neither is factory roll protection required. A 2006 or newer NC (PRHT or soft top) or an ND, without a roll bar, would be allowed.

That criteria applies regardless of the make and model of the convertible from 2006 on, provided it isn't excluded for some other reason.

What is so special about 2006 and newer?
    NHTSA rules mandated some base level of roll over protection for 2006 models and newer I suspect

But that's not what Heyward's letter says. He says that if your convertible meets the 2006-year model or newer criteria, it satisfies the policy. It satisfies participation requirements if your car meets any one of the three criteria he listed, provided it isn't subject to a listed exception (or is otherwise excluded, presumably).