Thread: New used car input requested

Default New used car input requested

Hey everybody!

As you know, Future Mrs. Jmoney's old g6 is finished. I have definatly given her the miata pitch, so outside of the miata, what are your favorite used cars under $4000? Looking for cars, not trucks or SUVs. Reliability is the most important factor. Preferably newer than the year 2000. As always, your advice is appreciated.

-Jmoney

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Here we go again!

Used, under $4K? Japanese toaster (Mazda, Toyota, Honda)

I know right? This one shouldn't take 6 months... Hopefully

Under $4,000.00 is going to be an older isn't it??

Well I mean I can get a nice miata for under $4k, I know there are other cars that are options. Some accura tl, Honda civics, and some variations keep popping up. I didn't know if you guys had any other ideas or experience with some less expensive cars.

As a alternative data point.

I just leased my Daughter a '17 Elantra for less than $2,900 a year. It is brand new, under warranty, with no preexisting conditions, and the mileage was 8 when we picked it up. If it has any issues other than wear items I don't pay a dime to fix it, and it has all the latest safety stuff on it. Plus 24/7 Nationwide Roadside assistance that isn't just me.

I know you are frugal but wouldn't it be sweet to know the lovely Almost Mrs. Money would actually make it to a destination unlike the last trip the Pontiac made? Isn't a running G6 going for under $4,000??

Also just so you know my daily driver truck has about 165,000 miles on it and is over 21 years old so I do subscribe the cheap car philosophy to a point.

Yep, leasing is a good idea if you can work with the allotted mileage. My Mini is $209/mo, and I didn't put much down at all. I get 3yr/36k and I don't even pay for windshield wipers and brake pads.

As for good value used cars, the Toyota Yaris can be had cheaply, and is a surprisingly spacious, very reliable, cheap on everything.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Also never never underestimate the true power of "Happy Wife = Happy Life"

Man it's not about being cheap, it's about actually have money to pay for it. We've got plenty of bills as is, so we just have to buy what we can afford.

Don't know how much $, I had a Mazda 3 Hatch and found it both very practical (lot's of space) and fun to drive.
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Polished Turd Racing

Just throwing this out there, I bought an 04 IS300 for $4500 a few months ago. High mileage but doesn't appear to matter on those cars.

If you can find one that hasn't been drifto'd out, they're great cars and built like a tank.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
    Man it's not about being cheap, it's about actually have money to pay for it. We've got plenty of bills as is, so we just have to buy what we can afford.
    Smart man. While this may appear to be common sense, it is fairly uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Just throwing this out there, I bought an 04 IS300 for $4500 a few months ago. High mileage but doesn't appear to matter on those cars.

If you can find one that hasn't been drifto'd out, they're great cars and built like a tank.
    I think this is true for any car with a VIN that starts with J.

I had not considered a Lexus, are the repair costs still low compared to the mazdas?
    What do you mean by any vin that starts with J, is that Japan?

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by Jmoney View Post
    I had not considered a Lexus, are the repair costs still low compared to the mazdas?
    What do you mean by any vin that starts with J, is that Japan?
    I'm thinking that a lot of the parts will be interchangeable with Toyota. Not sure though.

Yes, of the VIN begins with a J it is made in Japan. If it begins with a 1 it is made stateside. When we bought a Corolla back in 2004 I wandered the rows of Corollas that were on the lot until I found one with the right VIN

Lexus parts and repairs are expensive. Some parts interchange with Toyota, yes, but not a majority. Expensive ones to start with, like an A/C condenser, are even moreso. They are reliable, though. Just don't break it.

For used car $$$, it's hard to beat Mazda. For some reason, they don't hold their value as well as Toyota or Honda. They are relatively inexpensive to repair/maintain too.

From what I have done so far, maintenance stuff like timing belt, shocks, things like that are on par with honda, mazda. I don't doubt things like AC are more expensive though, just never had those things fail on any of my cars...knocking like hell on some wood :)

Doesn't get very good mileage ( in the low 20s) and takes premium gas. So, more than the base Japanese to maintain, probably much less than German cars.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I'd stick with the japanese mainstream sedans for both reliability and low cost to maintain. Its nice to buy an upmarket car used to get the extra features, but it will cost more to own in the long run, and you increase your "cost risk" with the higher level of complexity, even in a quality car like the lexus.

Bottom line: buy the best Mazda, Toyota, or Honda you can find in your price range. Sacrifice features (leather, premium trim packages, bigger motors) for less miles/wear & tear. I see $3k Civics and Mazda3s pretty regularly that easily have another 100k left in them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Chassis Designer

^ Well said.