Thread: It must be my driving...

Default It must be my driving...

The results from the first day of the Texas National Tour are doing a nice job of proving me wrong about the Miata's lack of competitiveness in STS. See http://sololive.scca.com/STS.html. Granted, some of that is equipment and setup, but a good chunk of that has to be the driver. David is a phenomenal driver (perhaps almost alien status?), but it shows me that while I might not reach his status, much of my problem might just be my driving.

I am not sure what to change in my driving, but one thing that comes to mind is trail-breaking. I rarely do it, but I am trying to start getting into it. What is everyone's thoughts on the effectiveness of trail-breaking? Does it usually generate big results, or is it just s very small piece of my problem?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Like you said, David is a very good AX'er. I'm sure it's a lot of little things combined....trail braking may or may not be a piece of it.

PS - There will always be someone better than you, and someone worse than you. (You = all of us)

The better set up your car, the less trail braking you have to do. No matter what, it's still a good skill to have, as even the best car will still need it for some situations.

FWIW, I find most cars setup for autocross have to do a lot of trail braking.
    Jason McDaniel

You need more Honda.

Actually you may want to contact David and get some of his cool ass shocks®!

AST's are so 2009.

I trail brake and left foot brake a lot in autox. Definitely a useful skill.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Trail braking is very useful when going into tighter turns. It a great way to rotate the car.

https://speedsecrets.com/driving-tip...ing-explained/

Also
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc_F7BU0z0I
    M3 is always the answer.

The best drivers are the ones that have lots of seat time and hate their cars the most. They literally just beat on their cars without a single care in the world. If you love your car even a little, it will slow you down a lot!
    AnthonyS
    former owner of 4 NA Miatas
    94 Laguna Blue awaiting Ford 5.0 transplant
    Also have a 91 ZR-1 and 00 996 (911).