Thread: Dd tire question

Default Dd tire question

Hi Guy,

Let's talk tires for a minute. I have one set of bbs 15" wheels. I am thinking of buying the Bridgestone re71s in 205/50/15. These would be my daily use and aggressive weekend driving tires. I really like my wheels and don't plan on buying a second pair at this point for autocross or weekend driving. (Although it's good advice Sam)

Is this the best tire to drive year round? Does anyone have a different recommendation for an all year tire that has some decent grip? I'm a little worried about the handling in wet, as I have already hydroplaned a bit on my current tires coming home from Austin last weekend going the speed limit.

Any thoughts?

I daily Rivals. I just keep in mind when I encounter conditions that might be difficult and take it easy. I think DD RE71s would be fine if you follow the same rule. These types of tires do last quite a while when not being used up competitively.

I just rented a new Fiat 124 in Italy. It had a set of Bridgestone S001s (280TW). They were quiet, smooth and had a lot of grip from the standpoint of street driving. I was impressed. Not quite an RE71, but quite a nice compromise. May do a set of those next for the daily.

I wouldn't go with the R71s in my opinion. Unless you do plan on autox on most weekends. I have BFG comp sport 2s (330 tread wear) on my Celica GTS which I daily, drive aggressive and did one auto x, and I love them. They grip fantastically and Ill prolly get 20K out of them. I drive pretty hard. I just cant see the need to DD with some 200 tread wear tires, the wear is going to be significant in this heat unless you up the pressures. Road noise will be loud, and and even then they are 115 bucks each as opposed to like 80 or 90 for the BFG tires. I have similar tires to the R71s on my miata and I'm avoiding driving it unless it's to an event. On public roads, I Belive the R71s would be overkill and unnecessary. Also my BFGs are superb in the rain and give plenty of warning before breaking traction, but rain or dry.

All of this is coming from my experience of motorcycling and not using super sticky "sport" tires but using a slighty harder compound that last longer but still able to out lean other chumps on their super sticky tires that wear in a couple thousand miles. Just my opinion. I am a miata newbie.
    Last edited by Yamahaman444; 08-20-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaman444 View Post
    I wouldn't go with the R71s in my opinion. Unless you do plan on autox on most weekends. I have BFG comp sport 2s (330 tread wear) on my Celica GTS which I daily, drive aggressive and did one auto x, and I love them. They grip fantastically and Ill prolly get 20K out of them. I drive pretty hard. I just cant see the need to DD with some 200 tread wear tires, the wear is going to be significant in this heat unless you up the pressures. Road noise will be loud, and and even then they are 115 bucks each as opposed to like 80 or 90 for the BFG tires. I have similar tires to the R71s on my miata and I'm avoiding driving it unless it's to an event. On public roads, I Belive the R71s would be overkill and unnecessary. Also my BFGs are superb in the rain and give plenty of warning before breaking traction, but rain or dry.

All of this is coming from my experience of motorcycling and not using super sticky "sport" tires but using a slighty harder compound that last longer but still able to out lean other chumps on their super sticky tires that wear in a couple thousand miles. Just my opinion. I am a miata newbie.
    +1 on the Sport Comp 2's. I've daily driven a set on my 128i for about 18 months and plan to replace them with another set soon. Good price, more than enough grip on the street, great in rain, and they'll do for an occasional autocross as well.

I love the Comp Sport 2 on my NC. This is my second set. It has good balances as DD even in wet. Best of all, if you wait, you can catch them on sale usually in the Fall.
    Gabriel

Driver
    Blog Entries

My favorite tire on the Miata so far was the BFG G-Force Super Sport A/S, now discontinued. My next set will be G-Force Comp 2 A/S.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Yokohama AD08R, Dunlop Star Spec Z2, Continental DW, Michelin Pilot Super Sport.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Yokohama AD08R, ...
    I don't know about the others, but I have had bad luck with all-season Yokohamas when it is cold. I personally wouldn't consider a Yokohama summer tire as a year-round daily driver tire.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I've got Kumho Ecsta PA31's as my street tires....no complaints.

I rather favor the Star Specs but don't currently have any. RS3s on the '94, T1Rs on the '90, and S04 Pole Positions on the MS3. Non complaints with any thus far.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates