Thread: Calling all DFW autocrossers / advice welcome

Default Calling all DFW autocrossers / advice welcome

Hi all,

As the proud owner of a new ND (sort of), I've been thinking about trying out autocross. I'd love to safely and legally take my car to the limit, and improve my skills as a driver.

However, I'm very inexperienced, and this is my first car with a manual transmission. I've also never tried an autocross event before.

This might be a long shot, but is there anyone in the Dallas/FW area that might be willing to show me the ropes? Of course, you would be rewarded with seat time in my sort of-ND to see how it compares to your real ND, as long as you promise not to hold back!

For reference:

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Pretty car!

Before you think autocross, you probably want to get more comfortable with the manual trans. After that, check dfwautocross.com for a schedule of upcoming events. I'm sure you'll get
    someone to take you up on the co-drive offer!

I Got to ride along on a track session in a upgraded Fiata.

Hi ferret. I am fairly new to autox, myself, this being my first full season. But I will be glad to meet you at one of the events and show how to get started. You might want to watch and do some ride alongs at your first event.

I will be at TMS this Sunday and at LSP on 9-4.

As mentioned above, check http://dfwautocross.com/ for the DFW schedule.

Where are you located in DFW?

^same as this guy but I'll only be at Lone star Park on the 4th. Have a 97 miata. I can tell ya everything I've learned so far. Which prolly ain't much. But miata guys are awesome so I'm sure you'll get the ropes.

Def play with that transmissions and don't be afraid to Rev her out! A full throttle shift requires different input speed and such. Luckily you should only have to shift once a lap on race day.

SCCA, Equipe Rapide, and BMWCCA all have novice programs and instructors available, in addition to many experienced folks who would be eager to get a turn behind the wheel of a fiata on an autox course. (Me, for example). I've won a few trophies and done lots of instructing, as have several others. Nothing to be afraid of; its pretty easy to take it slow and work your way up. Just show up to an event and let them know you are a novice. SCCA has an event at TMS this sunday.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Yamahaman444 View Post
    ^same as this guy but I'll only be at Lone star Park on the 4th. Have a 97 miata. I can tell ya everything I've learned so far. Which prolly ain't much. But miata guys are awesome so I'm sure you'll get the ropes.

Def play with that transmissions and don't be afraid to Rev her out! A full throttle shift requires different input speed and such. Luckily you should only have to shift once a lap on race day.
    I will also be at Lone Star Park... Would love to meet up! Could you email me? [email protected]

Kind of off topic but is the old Heliport in Mineral Wells still "in play"?

Sent from my iPhone
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Yes, some clubs (ER & BMW, I think) still run there.

Correct. Both BMW and ER run some events there each season. ER does its Mirrorcross events out there, since that is the site where the SCCA holds a ProSolo every year.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."