Thread: Anyone ever replace a top?

Default Anyone ever replace a top?

So I just got a Miata, and it had a ripped top due to hail, I went ahead and order the new top already but I'm just realizing now how hard it might be to replace it. I'm no mechanic and not really sure what I'm getting myself into, if anyone could give me tips and pointers or even helping hand that would be greatly appreciated!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It's not hard to DIY if you take your time. I've done a few, and have taken the top frame off the car before I installed the new top. I think there's a decent write-up on miata.net.

EDIT - Several write-ups here - http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetops.html

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, check with Rogue (Westside) or OZMDD (Eastside) and ask what they charge.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    It's not hard to DIY if you take your time. I've done a few, and have taken the top frame off the car before I installed the new top. I think there's a decent write-up on miata.net.

EDIT - Several write-ups here - http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetops.html

If you don't want to tackle it yourself, check with Rogue (Westside) or OZMDD (Eastside) and ask what they charge.

If you say it isn't too hard I might as well just give it a try. Will I be needing an extra hand or is it something I could do all by myself?

You can do it by yourself. Read up on the links above. There are also some youtube videos around. If you want to do it yourself but are really feeling newb-ish and want assistance, this forum is a good place to find volunteers. Bribery sometimes works too (food/beverages).

There is no rocket science involved, but there are numerous things that need to be right to get a good result, and it's not hard to end up with a sloppy install if certain parts aren't correct. Average mechanics can do it, but most people find that their first top install is a 2-day affair (~15-20 hours)
    you need to be sure the rain rail is not cracked, tension cables are good, weatherstripping intact, know where all the nuts and bolts are located, get a rivet gun from HF, etc.

I typically charge around $250 labor to do an install, depending on the type of top and condition of the reused parts. Many people simply don't want to tackle it or give up a weekend to do it, and I take care of all the water drains, top/latch adjustment, etc.

again, you can probably diy with a good result if you take your time and read up on all the details, and it doesn't need two people.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by cwisenheimer View Post
    You can do it by yourself. Read up on the links above. There are also some youtube videos around. If you want to do it yourself but are really feeling newb-ish and want assistance, this forum is a good place to find volunteers. Bribery sometimes works too (food/beverages).

Of course that's a must, I can afford beer and pizza for anyone who could help me! I do have a friend willing to help but he hasn't done one himself, but surely any extra hands can't hurt! I would actually love to try it myself first at least, hopefully we'll get it right! & thanks for the responses everyone!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Update your profile so we know where you are....you may get some local help if needed.

New cables always.

What does that mean?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^There are tension cables that run down the edges of the top. Get new ones as part of the project.

PS
    Read some of those install links.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    New cables always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonybby View Post
    What does that mean?
    That you may be in over your head.

I think you might be right, I'm going crazy. So top came in and its for a NA not NB, is that a problem? I'm seeing its possible but how much more am I going to struggle? Should I wait and exchange it or you think I'll be fine?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Depending on the top, it may not have the straps used by the NB frame. Maybe Rogue or OZMDD will chime in.