Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NC Koni Sport, adjust for understeer

Default NC Koni Sport, adjust for understeer

NTAXS #6 at TMS last weekend was my first time out with my new suspension setup consisting of Koni Sports and Progress front anti-sway bar. I asked a question on miata.net about it, and managed to convince myself at different points that I needed to soften the front shock adjustments and stiffen the back, or to stiffen the front and soften the back. Or just stiffen the front. Or both. Or soften them both. Arggggghhhh!!!!

Jerrett co-drove with me, so maybe has another perspective, but it seemed like understeer was evident but manageable in the slaloms, hardly noticeable on entry to corners, but massive when accelerating out. I'm sure some of it is my driving; not slowing down enough before the corner, accelerating too hard and too soon... or like Jerrett told me, accelerating in weird places... :) But I think some shock adjustments might help too. There's no oversteer to contend with.

The front shocks are set fairly soft, half way (1 full turn) between softest and firmest settings. The rears are stiffer, at 1/4 turn off of full stiff. Mainly because of something on this page http://www.ncrscca.com/autocross-tuning-tips , I think increasing the front shock stiffness will help. This is the part that seems relevant:

Vehicle is understeering after the apex

Front rebound dampening force is not enough – make font dampers stiffer.
    Or make pre-load equal to zero / add 3 to 5mm of pre-load.
    Reduce front ride height by 3 to 5mm.
    Rear spring is too soft – add pre-load to rear or change to higher spring rate.
    The only one of those things I can do is make the front dampers stiffer, although other things I've read say that doing so will increase understeer.

Here's the thread over on the other forum: Koni Sports, NC, CS, compensate for understeer?

The bottom line is that I haven't got a clue.

Suggestions?
    Last edited by 865; 10-20-2016 at 01:29 PM.

There was a ton of on-throttle understeer. It would tuck in nicely if I lifted, but I was really having to wait to get back on the gas coming out of a corner and I could not power through sweepers at all.

Your car was squatting down a lot in the back, even when sitting between runs, and I wonder if it was the Koni's jacking down (that's how they "stiffen," by not having much rebound) that caused some of the oversteer. I think you should just try an event with all four corners set to soft and see what happens.

Assuming you want to keep the car "stock" put the largest wheel spacers you can in the front.

Is ER going to have a test and tune event this year?

I set my Flyin Miata coil overs to the recommended setting and left them alone while I learn to drive. However, I am looking forward to a test and tune day so I can experiment a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Assuming you want to keep the car "stock" put the largest wheel spacers you can in the front.

I want to keep it C-Street legal for next year. I will check the rules, but I think the maximum allowed wheel offset from stock is 7mm. So the wheels would be 14mm further apart total? What does that do? (I'm guessing front tire angle to the pavement is flatter when turning, so better grip?)
    Last edited by 865; 10-20-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Everything I've read (no real experience, yet), states the NC understeers badly. Putting a larger bar on the front just exacerbates that.

I'm considering running stiffer bump stops (with the stock springs), to effectively increase the spring rate somewhat.

I think CS is limited to 60mm bumpstop length.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Your car was squatting down a lot in the back, even when sitting between runs, and I wonder if it was the Koni's jacking down (that's how they "stiffen," by not having much rebound) that caused some of the oversteer. I think you should just try an event with all four corners set to soft and see what happens.
    I've got a little reverse rake that is there all the time. 14.25 inches on both fronts, measured from center of hub straight up to edge of wheel well, 13.75" on driver side rear, 14.0" on passenger side rear. I looked at the A-arm bushings on the front, and they are slightly twisted. Per threads on miata.net, that can cause the front ride height to be high.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^If the bushings are twisted, it probably wasn't torqued under load. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    ^If the bushings are twisted, it probably wasn't torqued under load. I think.
    That seems to be the consensus on the pointy forum. I need to ask Wags how he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post

I set my Flyin Miata coil overs to the recommended setting and left them alone while I learn to drive. However, I am looking forward to a test and tune day so I can experiment a little.
    A test and tune day would be helpful. I might also try setting my front sway bar at the softest setting. Right now, it's on the medium setting (center hole).

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    I want to keep it C-Street legal for next year. I will check the rules, but I think the maximum allowed wheel offset from stock is 7mm. So the wheels would be 14mm further apart total? What does that do? (I'm guessing front tire angle to the pavement is flatter when turning, so better grip?)
    It will reduce the understeer, particularly under power.

What is your rear toe?

^---- According to the printout, left rear is .06 degrees, right rear is .10 degrees. Total toe is .16 degrees.

225/45R17 is 25 inch diameter, so total toe would be .14 inches? That's around 1/16th per side, average, but really 1/38th on the left, 1/23rd on the right. Weird that he didn't get it even.

It's positive, so is that toe out?

I was on a set of new Koni's but on a ND. The cars are not the same. After the morning runs I asked around and everyone was saying how their cars where not handling well. I made the front softer and the car pushed more. So forget the first 4 runs unless you got the tires good and hot.

The afternoon session was better and more consistent.

Generally, the idea of setting up a car at the bus lot is a waste of time unless that is the only place you autocross. The setting don't apply to anywhere else.

The MSR package ran the Koni full stiff on the NC. Then they removed the adjusters so you could not change it. Not saying that is the best setting, just giving you a ball park setting. MSR had big front and rear bars "stock". I think the front was 27mm but it has been some time since looked that up.

The NC is sensitive to rake. 1/2 inch difference transforms the car. How do you get 1/2 inch of rake on a stock class car. :) Ask David. It can be done.
    Last edited by general default; 10-20-2016 at 04:56 PM.

^--- The Progress front bar is 28.5mm OD. Very heavy gusseted brackets, so the effect is supposed to be greater, per the GWR site.

My rear bar is the OEM stock 12mm bar that comes with the suspension package.

As for rake, front should NOT be higher than the rear, right? If anything, lower front is better? (I'm higher in the front right now.)

I checked the rules for Street class. Plus or minus 7mm offset is allowed. I haven't found 7mm spacers anywhere. I can get 5mm from Moss Miata.

Ebay is the best place to buy spacers. You can get a 1/4" for $10 shipped.

Go take a single lug nut off your car. Put a mark on the end of it and then reinstall and torque it making a not of exactly how many turns it takes. From there I can tell you how large of a spacer you can use before you need extended studs.

Quote Originally Posted by riverman1 View Post

Maybe Dec 3 or 17. I don't want to make any promises.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I have some 5mm spacers for your car you can try. But I don't think you will notice any "big" difference. I will bring them to the SCCA event if you want to give them a try. I think you will get much more from working with toe and rake since you have the large front bar and small rear. Also working the shock adjusters. In another thread you said you were using up the front tire edges. It sounds like you have a ways to go. Even the F1 and NASCAR crews of professionals have a hard time getting it right on a race weekend. Keep things in perspective try some extreme settings too. Think someone said something about the bump stops. That is an item to look at also. FatCat Motorsports has some but there are some places that sell similar things cheaper. They don't cost that much to begin with.

I think I would solve the positive rake problem first.

Go take a single lug nut off your car. Put a mark on the end of it and then reinstall and torque it making a not of exactly how many turns it takes. From there I can tell you how large of a spacer you can use before you need extended studs.
    11 and 1/8th turns.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    I have some 5mm spacers for your car you can try. But I don't think you will notice any "big" difference. I will bring them to the SCCA event if you want to give them a try.
    Thank you, yes, I'd like to try them if they'll fit without extended studs. 5mm is about 1/5th of an inch. David said he could determine how large a spacer I could use based on the number of turns to torque down a lug nut, which turned out to be 11 and 1/8th turns.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    I think you will get much more from working with toe and rake since you have the large front bar and small rear. Also working the shock adjusters. In another thread you said you were using up the front tire edges. It sounds like you have a ways to go. Even the F1 and NASCAR crews of professionals have a hard time getting it right on a race weekend. Keep things in perspective try some extreme settings too. Think someone said something about the bump stops. That is an item to look at also. FatCat Motorsports has some but there are some places that sell similar things cheaper. They don't cost that much to begin with.

I think I would solve the positive rake problem first.
    Yes, seems like it's going to be a combination of little things. I've got the 58mm FCM stops in the front (red stripe, soft) and 58mm FCM in the rear (white, medium). Those are what GWR recommended for the Koni Sports.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast