Thread: CSP Miata Spring rates?

Default CSP Miata Spring rates?

I ran this season on 225 rival-s tires mounted to 15/9 wheels and have had some issues with the front tires rubbing the top of the wheel well and strut mount when I get it really loaded up in a turn. I will be running next season on the rivals as well, but may make the change to 245 Hoosiers after that. I am also adding a front splitter and spoiler this winter. I suspect that I need stiffer springs all around to support the aero and get rid of the rubbing, do you guys have any recommendations for the spring rate? Do I just need to raise the car? I am currently running xida (ACT) single adjustables with 700/400 springs.

I went with 800/500 in 2016 and it made a big difference in the stiffness. You might try that.

I am going to try a lower rear rate (~300) in 2017, but with my sway bar attached to make up for it, in order to try to overcome some of the under-steer in sweepers.

I am also running significantly higher than your rates on my new setup.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I am running 16x9 225 with 700/400 and probably a taller tire than you and fixed rubbing frame rail by adding more camber upfront and zero toe. It is very close of course but it was bad enough before that the car would smoke tires upfront in sweepers, only rubs it now at parking lot speeds going into driveways and such.

I have quite a bit of aero and plan to upgrade spring rate sometime after I move to slicks, Emilo (949) has some good posts on rates on his website.
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily

I emailed Emilo at the same time I posted this. He recommended 800/500, so I guess I will start there. Of course I'll have to readjust if I ever switch to slicks. Jarrett if you are done with the 500lb rears I will buy them off you.

I'll prolly hold on to them.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Man, I'm way behind on spring rates. My Tein's have 392/336.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Man, I'm way behind…...I have Tein's

800/450 on ours with big speedway bar up front. Top dogs are running even higher
    You will have run unless you pull fenders and modify/remove liners. Going to extended lower ball jointsmhelps.

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    Man, I'm way behind on spring rates. My Tein's have 392/336.
    They guy that bought my car is selling the Koni 2812s with 700/450 springs and NB mounts for around $2000.
    Jason McDaniel

Quote Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
    800/450 on ours with big speedway bar up front. Top dogs are running even higher
    You will have run unless you pull fenders and modify/remove liners. Going to extended lower ball jointsmhelps.
    Thanks for the input. I don't have any liners and I don't hit the fenders with the 225 rivals on 9s, I'm just running out of suspension travel up front with the pinch weld height set to 4.25" front and 4.5" rear. I do plan on getting the extended lower ball joints as I am currently maxed out on front camber at -3.3 I don't really want more, I just want it back into the adjustment range. If I get serious about it, 275 Hoosiers on 11s are the way I hear to go, at which point I would need much more spring and flares and spacers probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggo View Post
    Thanks for the input. I don't have any liners and I don't hit the fenders with the 225 rivals on 9s, I'm just running out of suspension travel up front with the pinch weld height set to 4.25" front and 4.5" rear. I do plan on getting the extended lower ball joints as I am currently maxed out on front camber at -3.3 I don't really want more, I just want it back into the adjustment range. If I get serious about it, 275 Hoosiers on 11s are the way I hear to go, at which point I would need much more spring and flares and spacers probably.
    I have the extended lowers on mine and it does help a lot in putting you back in the sweet spot on the alignment bolts.

Would have to check my notes but think I am at -3.5 front and -3.2 rear...
    1997 Miata - Weekend\Autox Car
    1994 Mustang Cobra - Garage Shelf
    2012 Mazda 3 - Daily