Thread: New BMW 3 Series

Default New BMW 3 Series

They ruined another Beemer.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....LP%20Passenger

Man is that thing ugly! It's got a face even it's mother hates.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    They ruined another Beemer.

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....LP%20Passenger

Man is that thing ugly! It's got a face even it's mother hates.
    I can't say I hate it... might grow on me...that tends to happen after seeing them dive around for a few months.

Thumbs down

Bangle has ruined BMW styling! I think the only new car that has grown on me is the Z4, the rest are trash. The 5 series went from my favorite to my least favorite.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

There was one out at TMS last weekend during the SCCA road course event. I kinda liked it (except for the price that is!).

I think it's significantly less bad than the rest of the BMW line out there now...
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!
    1989 Suburban 4x4 - 4" Pro-Comp Lift 33" BFGs etc... DRUNK TANK!
    2002 Protege5 - Lucky the drunk wagon SOLD
    '04 MazdaSpeed Mx-5 Wheeee! Turbos are fun
    How can I be so thirsty this morning, When I drank so much last night??

Quote Originally Posted by rx7gslse
    I think it's significantly less bad than the rest of the BMW line out there now...
    Ditto, but that's not saying much.

It's kind of sad, really - the previous 5 Series and 3 Series were two of the most beautiful sedans on the market, imho. The new ones look plasticky and forced, where the old ones were graceful and understated.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It looks much better in person than it does in a picture. I actually liked 3 Series that was out at TMS last week, but I agree with altiain, as I liked the previous models better. I would buy one of the new 3 Series, but I wouldn't have a 5, 7 or Z4... they are way too trendy for my tastes, and I don't believe they will age well.

If I was a recent graduate from college, looking for a nice daily driver that makes a bit of a statement, I think I'd be looking for a nice previous model BMW 528i with manual transmission. OK, it wouldn't be a screamer, but it would sure be a nice comfortable car to spend hours of commuter time in -- with the added "fun-factor" of a manual box!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I'd go up just ever-so slightly to the 530...

A coworker bought a '01 530 sport (for like $23,000!) and that thing is quite impressive.. 525/528s are fairly anemic in comparision....
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Thank you gentlemen, but I've decided to skip the older German car OTM route. Instead, I'll be focusing on the newer, Japanese OTM route, as the less I end up spending on car repairs over the life of the OTM, the more race tires I can afford to buy for the Miata.

Besides, for a $23k OTM I'd skip a Bimmer altogether and buy a brand new RX-8, fuel mileage be damned. Those things are just too much fun to drive, yet comfortable enough to make a good long distance tourer or commuter.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Besides, for a $23k OTM I'd skip a Bimmer altogether and buy a brand new RX-8, fuel mileage be damned. Those things are just too much fun to drive, yet comfortable enough to make a good long distance tourer or commuter.
    Good point. At the last two car shows, my wife and I have been looking at cars that could replace my [reliable but terminally boring] Honda CR-V as a slightly upscale daily driver / OTM. We've looked at various sedans and 2+2s (Acura TSX & TLs, Mazda 6, BMW's, Audi, Infiniti G35s), and at both shows she's said she liked the RX8 best. She's not all that impressed with the exterior looks, but once inside she's impressed with the room, comfort, and amenities/interior layout. On the other hand, I'm not terribly impressed with the gas mileage or [more importantly] the reports of significant oil usage.

But (and back on the topic), the new 3 Series has not dropped itself off my "list". It's definitely at the top end of my price range (probably above my price range if equiped the way I'd want it), but Bangle didn't bungle this one quiet as badly as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Thank you gentlemen, but I've decided to skip the older German car OTM route. Instead, I'll be focusing on the newer, Japanese OTM route, as the less I end up spending on car repairs over the life of the OTM, the more race tires I can afford to buy for the Miata.

new Japanese eh? I'm shocked at how inexpensive these can be had for now.. I'm heavily learning toward that for the next DD car...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...550723943&rd=1

Solid, comfy spacious, and dead on reliable.. Albeit, not all that much of a sportscar.

WRXs are cheap now too :)
    1984 GSL-SE - Its ALIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel
    On the other hand, I'm not terribly impressed with the gas mileage or [more importantly] the reports of significant oil usage.

Never owned a rotary, have you?

Rotary engines are designed to burn oil. If your rotary engine ever stops burning oil, you can expect to be rebuilding the engine relatively soon, as the oil injected into the combustion chambers is what keeps the apex seals properly lubricated. The more often and higher you rev a rotary, the more oil it's going to burn... again, by design.

Y'know, I always hear people complaining about rotarys burning oil, but I wonder why I never hear people complaining about two-stroke reciprocating gas engines burning oil? Why don't people complain about their lawnmower or their weedeater or their dirt bikes burning oil? Is it because you have ot premix oil into the fuel? If Mazda made people premix oil into their gas tank, would they just accept it and stop complaining about oil consumption that happens by design?

Actually, this comment (along with other's I've heard from first-time rotary owners) sums up why I would never buy a used RX-8. The average consumer has become so accustomed to a car that never requires opening the hood that I wouldn't expect a typical used RX-8 to have been cared for in the proper manner.
    Iain

Sorry, I'm not a rotary expert, but thanks for the lesson...