Thread: Texas Region SCCA Club Trials championship program

Default Texas Region SCCA Club Trials championship program

The Club Trials program for this year looks like it will be a lot of fun.

http://www.texasscca.org/trials/
    http://texasscca.org/2017_trial_supps.pdf

A minimum of five events in a championship series with winners and points based on fastest lap times, indexed by Solo class PAX. There are a number of different Trials classes, each consisting of several Solo classes. For example, Street class 2 is comprised of CS, DS, ES, GS, and HS. Street Touring Class 1 is comprised of STF, STS, STX. Street Touring Class 2 is STR, STU, STP, and so on.

The first three events for the year are listed on the Club Trials page.

I doubt I'll be wracking up many points, but I am sure I'll have fun trying while improving my driving skills.

The more track events I do, the more I think about safety. I've spun and gone off track at TWS and at Cresson, nothing serious in ether case, but it makes you think. Maybe time for me to get a car I can put a roll bar in.

If you have ever been approved as a solo qualified driver for any verifiable HPDE or performance driving school
    I'm very interested in these, now that I have the safety equipment. What do they mean by "Solo qualified?" Drive without instructor?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    What do they mean by "Solo qualified?" Drive without instructor?
    That's my assumption. PDX is the SCCA Driver's Education (HPDE) program. It's meant to be a stepping stone toward Club Trials, as I understand it. I surmise that if you get solo qualified in SCCA PDX or in any other HPDE program (e.g., BMWCCA, PCA, TDE, Apex, PDS, Chin, NASA, etc), then you're eligible for Club Trials.

An email to Brad Flack would clarify it.

Solo means you're clear to drive without an instructor in the car
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

The weather was great, a bit chilly early in the day. Essentially perfect weather with clear skies and cool, dense air. The event was well-organized. There were 28 or 29 drivers at the start of the day, dwindling to about 20 by the end. All six sessions came off without a hitch.

Results:

Event #1 - January 28, 2017 at Motorsports Ranch Cresson - Results - Session Results as xlsx file

The Club Trials page has the schedule of upcoming events and explanation of the new series format, classing, and scoring.

The column labeled FTD Sec in the spreadsheet is the driver's best lap time in seconds. The Time Adjustment column is PAX time.

I improved my personal best for MSRC 1.7 CCW by 12 seconds to 1:32.440.

Next event is at TWS on February the 11th. It'll only be 3 track sessions instead of the 6 we had this past Saturday, but I'm going anyway. Because TWS and competition. Lots of fun.

I hope to be at TWS. Waiting to see the weather to ensure dry.

^-- Accuweather extended forecast says Saturday the 11th will be a "full day of sunshine" with a high of 64 degrees. But yeah, it's a little early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    ^-- Accuweather extended forecast says Saturday the 11th will be a "full day of sunshine" with a high of 64 degrees. But yeah, it's a little early to tell.
    There's only one forecast that I use:

I have been sick the past few days and do not expect to be recovered enough to attend. Crud. Have fun.

(Note to self buy roll bar for Yellow car)

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I have been sick the past few days and do not expect to be recovered enough to attend. Crud. Have fun.
    Sorry to hear that. I hope you get better soon.

You know any good late-night restaurants in College Station? We'll probably be arriving there late Friday night around 08:30 or so. We've eaten at Cheddars a couple of times, and the food was good, but it tends to be crowded late at night.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    (Note to self buy roll bar for Yellow car)
    Your car would look great with a roll bar. Do it! The next Club Trials event after this one is in May.

I just bought a Blackbird Fabworx NC RZ bar for my new 2013 Club. But I'll be tracking the 2015 25AE this weekend since the Club is not fully prepped yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    You know any good late-night restaurants in College Station? We'll probably be arriving there late Friday night around 08:30 or so. We've eaten at Cheddars a couple of times, and the food was good, but it tends to be crowded late at night.
    I like Wings & More, but there is also the Dixie Chicken that is a local fav.