Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miatas @ Hallett 2017

And El Maguey on Thursday night!

Dirt track racing!
    http://www.creekcountyspeedway.co/
    20 minutes from Sand Springs

^--- What kind of four-wheeled vehicle do I need to enter? Can I hack up a Miata chassis?

Just registered.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

+1
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I'm in. Three nights at the Hampton and two days on the track... damn, this is an expensive hobby!

I'm in for both days too. Looking forward to it.

It looks like the annual Miatas at Hallett event might be in jeopardy, again. So far, there are only 10 registrations. If your interesting in going, please sign up.

The actual Miatas at Hallett event is on Saturday 9/9 at Hallett Motor Racing Circuit, which is about 30 minutes west of Tulsa, OK. However, they off an extra day on Friday 9/8 for those that want more time on the track.

If you have not been before, it is a casual event that is perfect for the first timer on the track, as well as the more experienced. Hallett is almost made for Miatas with the right length of straights and plentry of turns. The staff is super nice.

The event also includes a catered banquet at the event hotel on Saturday night, plus there is an unofficial dinner at Minuteman Pizza Parlor in Sand Springs on Friday night.

The event hotel is the Hampton Inn Tulsa-Sand Springs where Hallett has set up a special rate for Miatas at Hallett.

Register online at http://www.hallettracing.net/ and come join the fun!

The cost for Friday only is $160, both Friday and Saturday is $280, and Saturday only is $160. Sign up before August 8 to save $20/day.

Here is a lap to give you an idea:

https://youtu.be/V0Qnp4Detuo

OK. Signed up.

I borrowed from you, jj, and created a Miatas @ Hallett 2017 thread on trackjunkies.org.

Also posted a Miatas at Hallett 2017 thread on miata.net
    Last edited by 865; 07-20-2017 at 12:38 PM.

If it hasn't been done already, maybe someone with a facebook account can post on the Miata group over there. That should get a bit more exposure to the folks in this area.

If anyone is a member of the Lone Star Miata Club (Rogue!), it would be good to share there too.

I'll call William at TDR tomorrow to ask him to spread the word.

I'll seek out every Miata driver at the two autocrosses coming up this weekend and each successive one between now and September and urge them to sign up, like Leilane did to me last year. (Thank you, Leilane, I'm glad you talked me into it.) I'll be an Ambassador for Miatas at Hallett 2017! Yeah! Let's hear it for MMAHGA (Make Miatas At Hallett Great Again)!

Now, what is it that stops people from going? That's what we need to counter. What gave me pause last year was the fact that I was afraid of taking my car on track, afraid of going on track myself, afraid of track. I had no idea what it was like to drive a car on track. I was afraid I'd flip my car. Afraid of not having a roll bar. Afraid of going too fast. Worried that I'd crash, even though I had no idea what a tire wall was. Worried that my car wouldn't be "prepped" enough. Afraid it would be boring, scary, a let down. (Man, was I ever wrong about that boring/scary/let down stuff. It's actually more like a drug. Addiction is OK, right?)

It would be a pity for this great event to die for lack of exposure or lack of interest. I want to instruct novices some day when I get good enough (I'm far from qualified now).

I want to go to Hallett in September. What else can we do to entice folks?
    Last edited by 865; 07-21-2017 at 05:25 AM.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Registered.

Now we need a Vivid Yellow NB, a couple of Purple NB's, and a Stormy Blue NC.

Tire Warmer

Just registered! Those who have been before - is it risky to just rent a helmet at the track (will they run out)? Or is it better to find one to buy/borrow before the event? I don't frequently track, so rental would be the preferred option for me.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Does Hallett have rental helmets? Personally, I don't like putting an ol' sweaty helmet that isn't mine on my head. If you can afford it, buy your own. Snell SA2015.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snell-SA2...&wl13=&veh=sem

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Does Hallett have rental helmets? Personally, I don't like putting an ol' sweaty helmet that isn't mine on my head. If you can afford it, buy your own. Snell SA2015.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snell-SA2...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Hallett does rent helmets. For some of their events, a Snell approved SA2010 or SA2015 is required, no motorcycle helmets. This years tech form for Miatas@Hallett 2017 says
    "Helmet (Snell 2010 or newer)". So it looks like an M rated helmet is OK for this event.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

I have used an M rated helmet before. They are more concerned about the year (they expect 2010 or 2015).

Quote Originally Posted by 865 View Post
    I borrowed from you, jj, and created a Miatas @ Hallett 2017 thread on trackjunkies.org.
    Wasn't there already one there?
    '99 Emerald Green - 2015 NASA Texas TTE Season Champion (showing up is really 100% of it)

Quote Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
    Wasn't there already one there?
    Possibly. I didn't look real hard for one before I created that one. Extra attention can't hurt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast